• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig CROSS

I was hoping to save a few bucks but I’m not very patient. I’m about to give up and drop coin on the fix.

I was hoping to save a few bucks but I’m not very patient. I’m about to give up and drop coin on the fix.
Not making excuses for them but give em some time. In this three mouse click world we live in now everyone wants an answer/gratification immediately. I get it. That goes for their large wholesale accounts also. Lead times are months for advertising etc.
In the current environment with a hot gun market, huge military contracts and the biggest factor, Covid playing havoc with everyone's supply chain, I'm surprised they have gotten this out now. Delays with one supplier with one part and the assembly line never gets started. No one saw Covid coming at Shot. I was in Florida the first weekend in March for a car show and they closed the state down as we headed home. It's a strange new world that may or may not get back to some sense of normal in 2021. I know it won't happen in 2020.
Consider this. If you wait for a Cross you can have the rifle and not one but two Bartlein/Tooley barrels for the same money.
Yes like everyone else I'm waiting patiently.

$1900 extra for The Fix is a stiff price jump, considering the Cross has some features I like more.

If they had both been available when I got the Fix I would have chosen the Cross/2 barrels option all day.

Dave-your post is the best I've read re the realities of COVID-19, shooting sports, our impatience and the benefits of being patient. Thank you.
I just spent 2 weeks with my Daughter who is a DPM for a high profile military program. I enjoy busting her chops about this. Whip out a phone, do a search and the world is supposed to stop turning.

Probably cost and perceived lack of a need for that feature on a hunting rifle. I would have preferred it personally, but there are things they chose to get it to $1400 and that's probably one that didn't make the list.

Not making excuses for them but give em some time. In this three mouse click world we live in now everyone wants an answer/gratification immediately. I get it. That goes for their large wholesale accounts also. Lead times are months for advertising etc.
In the current environment with a hot gun market, huge military contracts and the biggest factor, Covid playing havoc with everyone's supply chain, I'm surprised they have gotten this out now. Delays with one supplier with one part and the assembly line never gets started. No one saw Covid coming at Shot. I was in Florida the first weekend in March for a car show and they closed the state down as we headed home. It's a strange new world that may or may not get back to some sense of normal in 2021. I know it won't happen in 2020.
Consider this. If you wait for a Cross you can have the rifle and not one but two Bartlein/Tooley barrels for the same money.
Oh I'm not mad at them at all. I know it takes time to meet demand. I wanted to punch in my credit card number so bad that I picked up a new Fix on Gunbroker this morning. I'll pick up one of the Sigs later on when they are in stocked up.

I'm definitely going to need one of those barrels in 6.5, maybe 18" w/a little lighter profile. This .308 is working out well, but 6.5 is my jam.

Update on my rifle going back.
I was contacted by Sig's Media Director, Rifle Program Manager and Design Engineer....all very attentive and proactive in resolving the issues .

The engineer fired 6 different factory rounds(sent pics of all the brass), he even heated the gun to 110 degrees(with my permission) to replicate the temps the day I had the issues.
We discussed my handloads and he agreed that there was not a "pressure concern".... his findings:
"I am still working on your rifle. I broke the barrel assembly down and measured the chamber finish to be 17 Ra on the profilometer which is good but visually the chamber does show some ringing. On Friday I shot 6 different types of ammo in the rifle without an extractor so that I could test extraction loads with a push out rod on our load tester. As I rotated the rifle vertical, all of these rounds fell out of the chamber by gravity alone so I was unable to replicate the loads that you saw"

They replaced the barrel and extractor. The gun was overnighted back to me.
I am heading to Mexico this week and won't be able to shoot the new barrel till the following weekend.....if I make it back alive!

Update on my rifle going back.
I was contacted by Sig's Media Director, Rifle Program Manager and Design Engineer....all very attentive and proactive in resolving the issues .

The engineer fired 6 different factory rounds(sent pics of all the brass), he even heated the gun to 110 degrees(with my permission) to replicate the temps the day I had the issues.
We discussed my handloads and he agreed that there was not a "pressure concern".... his findings:
"I am still working on your rifle. I broke the barrel assembly down and measured the chamber finish to be 17 Ra on the profilometer which is good but visually the chamber does show some ringing. On Friday I shot 6 different types of ammo in the rifle without an extractor so that I could test extraction loads with a push out rod on our load tester. As I rotated the rifle vertical, all of these rounds fell out of the chamber by gravity alone so I was unable to replicate the loads that you saw"

They replaced the barrel and extractor. The gun was overnighted back to me.
I am heading to Mexico this week and won't be able to shoot the new barrel till the following weekend.....if I make it back alive!
At least they're attentive.

• Haha
Reactions: wes1

You make some good points, but something tells me there's an "issue" somewhere with Sig on this rifle (production, materials, performance, etc..) because its the "LACK' of response from Sig Sauer to the general public about the rifle that is really annoying people (including myself) Unless you are an insider with a connection, we are all left out in the cold about this rifle. As far as I know, all other Sig guns are readily available and if not the stock is replenished quickly. I know 3 guys that were interested and due to the lack of response from Sig they purchased other brands, which I don't blame them. No matter what's going on, I'm sure we can all agree there's been a mystery around this rifle and Sig isn't really doing much as far as information goes. Even if they don't have info on the rifle, at least respond to people to give us a heads up. (like if there's a materials issue due to covid-19, then tell us) Still, Sig is quiet, even Sig's premiere dealers don't have any info.

Last edited:
You make some good points, but something tells me there's an "issue" somewhere with Sig on this rifle (production, materials, performance, etc..) because its the "LACK' of response from Sig Sauer to the general public about the rifle that is really annoying people (including myself) Unless you are an insider with a connection, we are all left out in the cold about this rifle. I know 3 guys that were interested and due to the lack of response from Sig they purchased other brands, which I don't blame them. No matter what's going on, I'm sure we can all agree there's been a mystery around this rifle and Sig isn't really doing much as far as information goes. Even if they don't have info on the rifle, at least respond to people to give us a heads up. Still, Sig is quiet, even Sig's premiere dealers don't have any info.

I helped a buddy design and build some custom motorcycle parts, he'd always wait to reveal/advertise until he had the product complete, on the shelves, and ready to ship. He said he wanted all those tire kickers to put their money where there mouth is, instead of the whole "can't wait to order this when it's ready" bullshit.

Sig posting photos of pallets of rifles is telling consumers that they're ready when they're not, get the rifle running 100% then release it to the public. This seems to be headed in the direction that a lot of other guys predicted.

I helped a buddy design and build some custom motorcycle parts, he'd always wait to reveal/advertise until he had the product complete, on the shelves, and ready to ship. He said he wanted all those tire kickers to put their money where there mouth is, instead of the whole "can't wait to order this when it's ready" bullshit.

Sig posting photos of pallets of rifles is telling consumers that they're ready when they're not, get the rifle running 100% then release it to the public. This seems to be headed in the direction that a lot of other guys predicted.
I would think they shipped every one of those rifles. I doubt they had Sniper Hide members only stickers on them. Just saying.
Let's look at other industries. I'm a car guy so lets go there. I have had corvettes now a Porche. Didn't care for the C7 but the C8 is, well something special even for a GM product. First, did it roll out without problems? NO Did GM meet demand? NO They couldn't. Many who ordered first year cars now are getting 2021 models. A company can't build ( think production capacity, sustained manufacturing capacity) then sit on inventory until they think they can satisfy demand. Profit margins are slim. Inventory and production capacity cost money. I've been waiting for the right time to announce replacement barrels. Things have now come together.

Last edited:
I'll be out of town most of tomorrow but "Stand By for News" on replacement barrels.
You make some good points, but something tells me there's an "issue" somewhere with Sig on this rifle (production, materials, performance, etc..) because its the "LACK' of response from Sig Sauer to the general public about the rifle that is really annoying people (including myself) Unless you are an insider with a connection, we are all left out in the cold about this rifle. As far as I know, all other Sig guns are readily available and if not the stock is replenished quickly. I know 3 guys that were interested and due to the lack of response from Sig they purchased other brands, which I don't blame them. No matter what's going on, I'm sure we can all agree there's been a mystery around this rifle and Sig isn't really doing much as far as information goes. Even if they don't have info on the rifle, at least respond to people to give us a heads up. (like if there's a materials issue due to covid-19, then tell us) Still, Sig is quiet, even Sig's premiere dealers don't have any info.
Yes I'm an insider and you seem to know more than I do.

I'll be out of town most of tomorrow but "Stand By for News" on replacement barrels.

Yes I'm an insider and you seem to know more than I do.

Whats up with the snyde comment? I'm just stating FACTS, that Sig hasn't given any info on this rifle that people are asking for. So if you're an "insider" why don't you give us some news? Replacement barrels for what? A rifle nobody can't purchase anywhere??

My buddy picked one up in 308 from cabelas

he's one of the very, very, very few that can find one., which is strange because Cabelas does NOT list Sig Cross on their website (as of yesterday and still today) Try finding one in 6.5 Creedmoor!

Last edited:
I would bet that if Dave is selling barrels that they will start to trickle out. I have one on order and yes I wished I had it in hand but I knew in January when I had my dealer order it that I would be waiting. I would rather them get it right and take a little longer to get them in everyone’s hands then to rush them out and have them screwed up.

I would bet that if Dave is selling barrels that they will start to trickle out. I have one on order and yes I wished I had it in hand but I knew in January when I had my dealer order it that I would be waiting. I would rather them get it right and take a little longer to get them in everyone’s hands then to rush them out and have them screwed up.
I don't know what the immediate future holds but they are in the business of selling firearms. We live in the craziest of times.

Reactions: THEIS
Try finding a Sig MCX, they have been out for years.

Dave are you going to have any 25 caliber barrels
For the initial offering I'll offer CF wrapped and all steel Bartlein's. Just a couple of contours. A couple of lengths in CF. Caliber and twist are optional. I won't be inventorying any complete barrels on the first go round. It will be a one to one match up with the number of extensions I'm getting. All comms will be through email. I'll get details out tomorrow.
[email protected]

I would think they shipped every one of those rifles. I doubt they had Sniper Hide members only stickers on them. Just saying.
Let's look at other industries. I'm a car guy so lets go there. I have had corvettes now a Porche. Didn't care for the C7 but the C8 is, well something special even for a GM product. First, did it roll out without problems? NO Did GM meet demand? NO They couldn't. Many who ordered first year cars now are getting 2021 models. A company can't build ( think production capacity, sustained manufacturing capacity) then sit on inventory until they think they can satisfy demand. Profit margins are slim. Inventory and production capacity cost money. I've been waiting for the right time to announce replacement barrels. Things have now come together.

GM had a union strike when they rolled out the C8 in 2019, I think they were only in production for the second half of the 2020 model year.

GM had a union strike when they rolled out the C8 in 2019, I think they were only in production for the second half of the 2020 model year.
There were a lot of technical delays when they started production. I want one but it would be at best the end of 2021 before I had a chance of seeing it. They have a recall out now because the hood is flying open and causing a lot of damage not mention soiling yourself because you can't see.

There were a lot of technical delays when they started production. I want one but it would be at best the end of 2021 before I had a chance of seeing it. They have a recall out now because the hood is flying open and causing a lot of damage not mention soiling yourself because you can't see.

I'd wait until 2023. The ECU is still locked so no tuning options other than piggyback. First model year for new generations is always horrible unless you plan to keep everything stock. Never mind that C8's are trading used for crazy high money.

Come to think of it, the Cross and the C8 are almost the same; wait a year or three for all of the teething to be worked out and then pick one up.

Reactions: Bradu
Aaaaaahahahaha

1599051338509.png

EDIT:
Are the owners experiencing the hood popping up making sure that they remove the oil can after they top off? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

I wasn't implying that they didn't ship those rifles, I'm sure they did. I also know that my small anecdotal story about making sure parts were ready to ship before advertising is minuscule compared to Sigs manufacturing quantities. The point I was trying to make was why ship the rifles and then recall them, shouldn't they found the defect prior to manufacturing?

I wasn't trying to piss in your Cheerios, I just wish companies would release products and parts when they actually have them on hand. There has been a lot of talk about this rifle and a huge social media push via "influencers" or whatever BS they call themselves for almost a year. Sig isn't obviously the only company using this business model, I'm also not one to jump on the whole pre-order bandwagon either.

I'd wait until 2023. The ECU is still locked so no tuning options other than piggyback. First model year for new generations is always horrible unless you plan to keep everything stock. Never mind that C8's are trading used for crazy high money.

Come to think of it, the Cross and the C8 are almost the same; wait a year or three for all of the teething to be worked out and then pick one up.
Understood. No electronics on the Cross so it has a good chance. I'd like a nice C2 but don't have a proper place to park it right now.

Aaaaaahahahaha

View attachment 7414195

EDIT:
Are the owners experiencing the hood popping up making sure that they remove the oil can after they top off? :ROFLMAO:
Wrong end. Uhh it's a mid engine car. Probably have to flip the driver seat forward to get to the dipstick. Just kidding. I've been close to one. I could see the engine but never asked the GM guy about how you get to the engine. Rear lid I'm sure but it's probably like my Porche. It's engineered to make you take it in for service. Me and you tube can do anything.

Reactions: hseII and Secant
Wrong end. Uhh it's a mid engine car. Probably have to flip the driver seat forward to get to the dipstick. Just kidding. I've been close to one. I could see the engine but never asked the GM guy about how you get to the engine. Rear lid I'm sure but it's probably like my Porche. It's engineered to make you take it in for service. Me and you tube can do anything.

No disrespect, but can we keep the topic to the OP thread topic?

Reactions: Rockfish Dave
I wasn't implying that they didn't ship those rifles, I'm sure they did. I also know that my small anecdotal story about making sure parts were ready to ship before advertising is minuscule compared to Sigs manufacturing quantities. The point I was trying to make was why ship the rifles and then recall them, shouldn't they found the defect prior to manufacturing?

I wasn't trying to piss in your Cheerios, I just wish companies would release products and parts when they actually have them on hand. There has been a lot of talk about this rifle and a huge social media push via "influencers" or whatever BS they call themselves for almost a year. Sig isn't obviously the only company using this business model, I'm also not one to jump on the whole pre-order bandwagon either.
I know everyone wants one. I want one. I know people. That doesn't help. I wait along with everyone else.
I don't know about influencers. Hard to influence me. It is what it is. I'll give someone the benefit of the doubt the first time.

List of two things that go together

1. Peanut butter / Jelly
2. 6BR/ 30gr Varget
3. 8oz Trigger Techs/ all the points
4. Barbed wire tattoos/ Molon Labe stickers on your Dodge Ram 2500(even though you never served and went right into HVAC after high school)

Man I just read this, a year later, and it’s so true. Kudos sir.

Understood. No electronics on the Cross so it has a good chance. I'd like a nice C2 but don't have a proper place to park it right now.

An LS swapped C2 sounds nice.

I think once all of the Cross variations are released and available it is going to be an excellent platform. Like I said somewhere else, Sig fixed all of that was wrong with the Fix (conceptually).

Dave—for you and those that have familiarity with both, what are these differences and implications for the user?

I own a fix and handled the cross at one of the gun shows before the COVID mess...

The fix is better built then the cross IMO. By that i mean the machining looked nicer, the bolt felt smoother, and the cross hand guard flexed a lot more than the fix.

I think the cross is going to win in terms of aftermarket support. Sig really seems to be embracing this (look at the new 320 partner program). I think the fix will be a better gun but the sig will be a better system. I would image there will be multiple makers of barrels for Sig whereas that's not happening for the fix. Sig will sell a metric crap ton of these. My lightweight 308 is my favorite hunting gun.

The biggest difference design wise IMO is the magazine choice as they will drive some diffferences in calibers. I still think a mid range 7mm caliber is about the best blend of features but limiting to the SR25 mags limits your OAL for some of the longer bullets. However i do have a 20 round mag (that deer IS going down by heart attack at least)

Reactions: .257wby
I own a fix and handled the cross at one of the gun shows before the COVID mess...

The fix is better built then the cross IMO. By that i mean the machining looked nicer, the bolt felt smoother, and the cross hand guard flexed a lot more than the fix.

I think the cross is going to win in terms of aftermarket support. Sig really seems to be embracing this (look at the new 320 partner program). I think the fix will be a better gun but the sig will be a better system. I would image there will be multiple makers of barrels for Sig whereas that's not happening for the fix. Sig will sell a metric crap ton of these. My lightweight 308 is my favorite hunting gun.

The biggest difference design wise IMO is the magazine choice as they will drive some diffferences in calibers. I still think a mid range 7mm caliber is about the best blend of features but limiting to the SR25 mags limits your OAL for some of the longer bullets. However i do have a 20 round mag (that deer IS going down by heart attack at least)

I read someone mention handguard flex earlier in this thread and was a bit confused then because my copy of the production Cross has a pretty stiff handguard at least by my standards. I'd say it's stiffer than most of my ARs anyway, although I'd guess it's probably not as stiff as a heavier PRS type chassis, but for it's diameter and what it is, it seems fine. They made some changes to the Cross since SHOT (RIP dust cover) maybe they beefed up the handguard? Was the handguard on the one you handled easy to flex up and down or crush inward or?

I would agree that the AICS vs SR-25 mags is a big benefit in terms of flexibility for reloaders. I've always had good luck function wise with SR-25 mags, but the OAL limits really tie your hands, especially with a .308.

Also, three lug bolt / lower bolt lift weight, a stock that closes on extended bolt knobs, and hopefully no barrel nut.

I too am patiently awaiting the Cross from Sig. I ordered a 6.5 and .308 just in case one became available before the other.

It's looking doubtful that I'll have it for deer season this year, and while I know a few direct contacts with Sig Sauer's corporate office, I hate asking about anything, as I know EVERYONE is wanting a response to when additional units will be shipped.

At least I can use my SSG3000 until then.

Does anyone remember if the factor top rail is 0 or 20moa?

I’ve definitely become accustomed to waiting/delays when it comes to this type of stuff but I don’t know how much longer I can lug around my 24” heavy palma on hunts. My local shop seemed to think it was a recall due to head spacing but I take anything I hear in gun stores with a grain of salt. So now I’ve missed my opportunity to rebarrel my 6.5PRC with something lighter like a Bartlein CF and with the lack of info coming out of Sig I’m not sure if I should just buy something cheap and throw all the gear I had earmarked for the Cross on it or just wait it out. If Dave nor anyone else on this forum knows even a general timeline for when more will be available, I’m assuming it is a small circle of people that have that information. I would just like to know if we are looking at like November or like February... bc for me, there’s big difference in the two. Serious 1st world problems going on over here 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Does anyone remember if the factor top rail is 0 or 20moa?

I’ve definitely become accustomed to waiting/delays when it comes to this type of stuff but I don’t know how much longer I can lug around my 24” heavy palma on hunts. My local shop seemed to think it was a recall due to head spacing but I take anything I hear in gun stores with a grain of salt. So now I’ve missed my opportunity to rebarrel my 6.5PRC with something lighter like a Bartlein CF and with the lack of info coming out of Sig I’m not sure if I should just buy something cheap and throw all the gear I had earmarked for the Cross on it or just wait it out. If Dave nor anyone else on this forum knows even a general timeline for when more will be available, I’m assuming it is a small circle of people that have that information. I would just like to know if we are looking at like November or like February... bc for me, there’s big difference in the two. Serious 1st world problems going on over here 🤦‍♂️
If I remember correctly someone posted that the rail was 0 MOA on the Cabela's guns. I don't know anything about internal comms at Sig. I've not seen or heard anything official about a recall. Just internet chatter. If there was a problem and it related to safety it would all over their website and last time I looked there wasn't anything. Also HS would/should be the last thing that would be a problem. That part I know a little something about.
Just a suggestion. Put your mouse down and enjoy the weekend with the family.

Anybody got a line on one of these in stock anywhere? I know only the 308's have shipped so far. Any word from Sig as to when the Creeds are coming?