New Sig CROSS

Langford

Private Parts
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
SE MI
Hmm...I just called their customer service line, and asked why it shows unavailable for purchase in my state. She said that it’s just unavailable right now, none in their warehouses, which is why that pops up.

But I just tried an Ohio zip code, and ship to one of their Ohio stores...no problem, no pop. So she’s full of shit. I’m going to run to the Dundee, MI store in the morning, see what they have to say.

Reactions: JLP83 and jafo96

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Why not? The more you shoot a rifle, the more comfortable/competent you get right? So even though you can only kill out to 600ish whatever, if you plink out to 1200, then 600 doesn't seem like "the edge of the envelope" in a way. Plus you can kill coyotes and such farther out for practice... and fun!
Honestly, I'd hoped to potentially replace my CTR with it as a one-size-fits-most option. There are places to plink out to 1500 yds nearby me. With the folding stock, I could potentially rebarrel it longer later on but still keep it handy via folded length.

Reactions: hseII

topweldor

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2010
I have had mine a few weeks, only issue I have had is a heavy bolt lift. I have contacted Sig but have not heard back yet. otherwise it is great.

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
I have had mine a few weeks, only issue I have had is a heavy bolt lift. I have contacted Sig but have not heard back yet. otherwise it is great.
When firing factory ammo or loads, or when empty? Mine develops pressure faster than some other .308s I've had, and when it does it manifests as extractor marks and therefore heavier bolt lift. The velocity tracks with the higher pressure though, so I'm pretty sure it's just a tighter chamber than you see on a lot of factory .308s.

topweldor

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2010
After firing factory, I was wondering the same about tight chamber. My 700 eats everything no issues. Shot the same ammo no heavy bolt lift in the 700. My velocity through the chrono is pretty consistent, didn't see any spikes or drops. Thanks.

Langford

Private Parts
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
SE MI
Went to cabelas this morning, another waste of time (besides getting a few boxes of 6.5 Grendel ammo).

Told the guy behind the counter what the website said, his response was that he works at the store, and doesn’t do anything with the website. Understandable, I asked if he could order one for me...was told no, they can’t order items they usually stock. Ok...So you can’t special order one, your website says they can’t sell them in my state, which is 100% incorrect. I can’t order online to have it shipped to the Ohio store, where I can legally purchase it, because it’s against their policy for some reason. Can’t get a Manager or anybody a little more knowledgeable to speak to me, or call back.

I’m getting a little fed up here...I may just blow my Cabelas points on a new spotting scope, and order the cross through Eurooptic when they have them in stock.

Just looked again, not seeing the option to order online at all anymore.

JLP83

Sergeant
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Online Training Access
  • May 22, 2017
    Fort Worth TX
    So I ordered a 6.5cm last night. This morning I had an email saying my card was declined. Credit card company flagged it as fraudulent so I tell them it was me. Go back to Cabelas website to put in the order again and now they aren’t available. FML

• Angry
    Reactions: Scoop and Langford

Scoop

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2005
    SC - USA
    So I ordered a 6.5cm last night. This morning I had an email saying my card was declined. Credit card company flagged it as fraudulent so I tell them it was me. Go back to Cabelas website to put in the order again and now they aren’t available. FML
    You anywhere near a Sportsman's Warehouse? They are showing Creeds and .308's available for order. Says pick up in store on 1 October.

Reactions: JLP83

JLP83

Sergeant
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • May 22, 2017
    Fort Worth TX
    You anywhere near a Sportsman's Warehouse? They are showing Creeds and .308's available for order. Says pick up in store on 1 October.
    I don’t think we have any in Texas. Closest one looks to be 500 miles away in Albuquerque.

• Sad
    Reactions: Scoop

Snafu_again

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2020
    That’s some weird shit the way Cabela’s/BassPro keep putting it on and taking it off their websites, instead of just updating availability.

Langford

Private Parts
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 24, 2014
    SE MI
    Check Bass Pro stores also, since they bought out Cabelas...they carry a lot of the same products. They still have the cross listed on their Website.

Snafu_again

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2020
    Yup, the Cross In Creedmoor is back up on both sites again this morning, after they took it down yesterday.

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 14, 2009
    Oriental, North Carolina
    I've gotten one in my hands and tore it apart this morning. Bolt disassembly takes 10 seconds. Barrel changes will require removing the scope base. Not complicated but requires some work and tools. AR wrench for the barrel nut. Still pondering how to hold the action. If you do take it apart be careful there's a small spring on top of the action for the bolt stop. One of those OH SHIT WHERE'D THAT GO traps.
    Now that I've taken some measurements I'm going to shouldered barrels. Makes more sense for me not being in a production environment.
    Overall a lot of good ideas. Seems like a lot rifle for the money.

Cascade Hemi

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 9, 2019
    PNW
    I've gotten one in my hands and tore it apart this morning. Bolt disassembly takes 10 seconds. Barrel changes will require removing the scope base. Not complicated but requires some work and tools. AR wrench for the barrel nut. Still pondering how to hold the action. If you do take it apart be careful there's a small spring on top of the action for the bolt stop. One of those OH SHIT WHERE'D THAT GO traps.
    Now that I've taken some measurements I'm going to shouldered barrels. Makes more sense for me not being in a production environment.
    Sounds like an opportunity to make and sell an action wrench.

Snafu_again

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2020
    Thanks for the post and warning Dave. Had that same AR takedown pin detent lIke awe shit moment when I removed the scope rail and hand guard in order to clamp the barrel to torque a suppressor mount.

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 14, 2009
    Oriental, North Carolina
    As you can imagine I couldn't wait to tear into this rifle. Yesterday was spent getting familiar with it. trying hard not to break something. Making tooling for assembly and disassembly. Today was a new barrel. Scrounging around the shop I found an AR10 Bartlein 6.5 barrel left over from a project. Turned the breech down, shortened it up a bit. Finish length ended up 18 1/2". The AR barrel weighed a good bit less than the 3 lb. 18" factory barrel. When finished it weighted 7 ozs. less. All weights are with the extension installed. The rifle with mag weighed 6 lb 9 ozs. Add a Surefire brake and it is still under 7 lbs. . I installed a NF 2.5-10X32 in aluminum rings. Rifle with scope and Surefire can weighs 8.37 lbs.
    One sighter, adjusted scope and the next 3, H 140 Amax, went into 1/2". Mission accomplished. Attached the Magneto Speed. H140 Amax 2625 FPS, BH's B140 Hybrids 2645 FPS Not for an 18" barrel. I polished the bolt cocking cam, I do on every build, and bolt lift was easy. With a small firing pin I need to see where the upper limit is on pressure. Fun two days. Sig Cross .jpg

Crews

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 11, 2017
    Dave, sure do appreciate your perspective on this rifle. Assuming one has a separate rifle for serious long range stuff... does it look like the Cross does light and fast a little better than a traditional bolt action rifle?

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 14, 2009
    Oriental, North Carolina
    Light and fast is where it's at. With a can it balances a couple of inches in front of the mag well. Easy to carry, balances well. Of course you can put a heavier, longer barrel on it and call it a long range rifle but I think it would be an odd bird being somewhat muzzle heavy. My two favorite hunting rifles are light weight fiber glassed stocked 20"-21" barreled rifles. They can be handled with one hand by the pistol grip. While different this rifle is just as handy.

hseII

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 31, 2014
    Georgia
    As you can imagine I couldn't wait to tear into this rifle. Yesterday was spent getting familiar with it. trying hard not to break something. Making tooling for assembly and disassembly. Today was a new barrel. Scrounging around the shop I found an AR10 Bartlein 6.5 barrel left over from a project. Turned the breech down, shortened it up a bit. Finish length ended up 18 1/2". The AR barrel weighed a good bit less than the 3 lb. 18" factory barrel. When finished it weighted 7 ozs. less. All weights are with the extension installed. The rifle with mag weighed 6 lb 9 ozs. Add a Surefire brake and it is still under 7 lbs. . I installed a NF 2.5-10X32 in aluminum rings. Rifle with scope and Surefire can weighs 8.37 lbs.
    One sighter, adjusted scope and the next 3, H 140 Amax, went into 1/2". Mission accomplished. Attached the Magneto Speed. H140 Amax 2625 FPS, BH's B140 Hybrids 2645 FPS Not for an 18" barrel. I polished the bolt cocking cam, I do on every build, and bolt lift was easy. With a small firing pin I need to see where the upper limit is on pressure. Fun two days. View attachment 7433006
    Now that you’ve gotten to take it apart & really study it,

1. how big a deal to supply a .260 barrel rather than the Creed?
    2. Is a LH version in the works as far as you know?

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 14, 2009
    Oriental, North Carolina
    Now that you’ve gotten to take it apart & really study it,

1. how big a deal to supply a .260 barrel rather than the Creed?
    2. Is a LH version in the works as far as you know?
    I have 260 reamers with the following freebore lengths. .040", .050", .060", ,080", .090" and .110"
    pick your poison.
    LH not for awhile. They can't catch up on RH models and with the surge in firearms sales, I/me wouldn't do anything to distract from current production.

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 22, 2018
    Is that the Burris HD 2-10? do you feel it complements the rifle well? I’m looking for a good hunting scope for my Cross.
    Yep, it's a Burris Signature HD 2-10. I think it matches my intended uses for the rifle well, it's fairly light, looks pretty good optically and I like the E3 reticle. That said, while I twist turrets on my range rifles, I like simple scopes on hunting rifles. I only really shoot meat out to 400 yds and prefer simple reticles, max mag around 10, and won't be dialing. The Signature HD does have locking turrets, but I don't really think I'd trust it for a lot of dialing (it is only $350), for my uses though, I like it and think it's a nice option for the price.

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    I picked up my Sig Cross yesterday. Fit and finish looks good. Bolt isnt "Tikka" smooth, but ok. I have a ERC Tac 30mm mount and Vortex LHT HD 3-15x44 scope to mount. Was REALLY looking forward to going hunting with this rifle in 2 weeks with some buddies.

As a few people mentioned, the magazine that comes with it doesn't lock in easily. Takes a few tries to get it to seat. The real problem is my stock - it does NOT fold easily. I tried it, and had 2 friends tried it and on avg 1-2 times out of 5 it will fold. I can't tell you how excited I was to use this rifle this weekend and break it in. When purchasing it, I didn't notice the stock was tough to work, there were 3 other guys there handling it to potentially buy it also, I just got the paperwork done first.

I did call Sig Sauer directly and they sent me a shipping label quickly to have them fix the problem. Not sure why their "master" dealers can't look at it first to fix, Sig says only their factory techs can fix it, which leads to a approx. 4 week turnaround for me! I have to say I am baffled WHY it would leave the Sig factory with this simple issue to fix. Makes me wonder about their Quality Control. Their response was quick, but I got the usual "I know how you feel bullshit" - I really despise that response from any customer service rep. Hopefully this is the ONLY issue I ever have with the rifle.

Last edited:

Snafu_again

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2020
    The real problem is my stock - it does NOT fold easily. I tried it, and had 2 friends tried it and on avg 1-2 times out of 5 it will fold. I can't tell you how excited I was to use this rifle this weekend and break it in. When purchasing it, I didn't notice the stock was tough to work, there were 3 other guys there handling it to potentially buy it also, I just got the paperwork done first.
    I had the same issue with not getting it to fold while in the store. The sales guy tried all three of the rifles in stock and had the same problem with all of them. It was only after I got home that I realized you have to pull up on the stock while pushing the release button to lift it out of the notch that it locks into. Believe it is also mentioned in the manual.
    You may already know this, but if not might be worth a try before sending it in...

Reactions: Gtscotty and wes1

NCshooter1980

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 21, 2010
    Central NC
    I picked one up from Triangle Shooter's Academy last night and they had one more on the shelf. Very impressed with the rifle for the cost. I'm planning on using it at extended distances, so I opted for the NXS 5.5-22.

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 15, 2019
    Anyone thinks this could be serviceable for intro PRS shooting? I know it's not a heavy, finely tuned set up, but with a gamechanger bag, would it be workable? I'm all about consolidating my firearms as much as possible, rather than having a dozen safe queens.

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    I had the same issue with not getting it to fold while in the store. The sales guy tried all three of the rifles in stock and had the same problem with all of them. It was only after I got home that I realized you have to pull up on the stock while pushing the release button to lift it out of the notch that it locks into. Believe it is also mentioned in the manual.
    You may already know this, but if not might be worth a try before sending it in...
    Thanks for replying. I'm aware you have to lift up on the stock to get it to fold. Still the same issue. The ONLY way to do it on my rifle (works 75%) is to put the muzzle into my carpet, hand on the rail pushing down (no scope mounted yet) and lift on the stock. Absolutely something wrong. Literally RUINING my upcoming trip.

Last edited:

midSCarolina

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 23, 2012
    I’m not sure if it is anything like the fix (which I would assume it is) but my fix’s stock was super stiff and it took me a minute to figure out how to get it folded. With that rifle I’d usually use both thumbs to press down on the release point and kinda use my hip to push the stock up and over. ???

Last edited:

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    I’m not sure if it is anything like the fix (which I would assume it is) but my fix’s stock was super stiff and it took me a minute to figure out how to get it folded. With that rifle I’d usually use both thumbs to press down on the release point and kinda use my hip to push the stock up and over. ???
    I appreciate your input, but it really shouldn't take that much effort. Watch the videos on youtube and they fold almost effortlessly. I was looking at the Fixx by Q and the Christensen Arms MPR, both fold pretty easily.

MTB doc

Online Training Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    May 30, 2019
    "Their response was quick, but I got the usual "I know how you feel bullshit" - I really despise that response from any customer service rep."

What were you hoping the customer service rep was going to say?

Reactions: jafo96

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    "Their response was quick, but I got the usual "I know how you feel bullshit" - I really despise that response from any customer service rep."

What were you hoping the customer service rep was going to say?
    She said pretty much what I expected her to say. She was courteous and did her job ok, I just hate when people say "I know how you feel" - its meant well, but 99% of the time it's disingenuous. People just say things like that with really no meaning.

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 22, 2018
    Thanks for replying. I'm aware you have to lift up on the stock to get it to fold. Still the same issue. The ONLY way to do it on my rifle (works 75%) is to put the muzzle into my carpet, hand on the rail pushing down (no scope mounted yet) and lift on the stock. Absolutely something wrong. Literally RUINING my upcoming trip.
    So is it the spring tension holding the locking surfaces together that's keeping you from folding the stock, or is it that once you pull up and the locking surfaces clear each other, the hinge itself is too stiff to fold?

If it's the latter, it's probably not right, but if it's that the spring tension is pretty tight, mine is the same way. Folding it is a two handed job, I grab the pistol grip with my left hand and press the hinge button while pulling up on the stock with my right hand. I like the system on mine, the strong spring keeps the locking surfaces tightly mated and the stock very rigid.

Valcon

Private
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2017
    Warrenton, VA
    Mine is the same as Gtscotty describes. Too be honest, I’m glad. I’ve had a couple of other folders that were loose and developed play with time. I like that the Tolerances are as tight as they are. It will probably only wear with use.

Reactions: Gtscotty

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    So is it the spring tension holding the locking surfaces together that's keeping you from folding the stock, or is it that once you pull up and the locking surfaces clear each other, the hinge itself is too stiff to fold?

If it's the latter, it's probably not right, but if it's that the spring tension is pretty tight, mine is the same way. Folding it is a two handed job, I grab the pistol grip with my left hand and press the hinge button while pulling up on the stock with my right hand. I like the system on mine, the strong spring keeps the locking surfaces tightly mated and the stock very rigid.
    I honestly do not know. All I know is 2 other friends (gun people) tried to fold the stock and they were both like WTF?? This isnt working. I will go to one of Sig's "premier" dealers locally here in Las Vegas before I send to them just so they can see there's a problem. Maybe it's something that's a quick fix or adjustment.

Last edited:

ma smith

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 29, 2020
    One sighter, adjusted scope and the next 3, H 140 Amax, went into 1/2". Mission accomplished. Attached the Magneto Speed. H140 Amax 2625 FPS, BH's B140 Hybrids 2645 FPS Not for an 18" barrel. I polished the bolt cocking cam, I do on every build, and bolt lift was easy. With a small firing pin I need to see where the upper limit is on pressure. Fun two days. View attachment 7433006
    Is there a confirmed spec for the max COAL for the magazine? Apologies if this was asked/answered earlier in the thread.

Crews

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 11, 2017
    Absolutely something wrong. Literally RUINING my upcoming trip.
    Sucks you have some minor challenges..... but seriously? Spare us the drama dude. I find it really hard to believe you’re going to miss a hunt because your rifle stock won’t fold.

Reactions: NCshooter1980

Blackrifle1

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sucks you have some minor challenges..... but seriously? Spare us the drama dude. I find it really hard to believe you’re going to miss a hunt because your rifle stock won’t fold.
    I totally get your point, and I'm not a drama type person, but in this case, you are missing the point. The PROBLEM is if the stock can't fold- I can't remove the bolt to clean the rifle. (you must fold stock to remove bolt) I would NEVER, EVER shoot a rifle without cleaning first and making sure there's nothing in the bore. Also, I wanna follow Sig's recommendations for break in which is shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning, etc.... Gotta be able to have access to clean. At this point, I feel like you have to force the stock to fold with alot more pressure than what should be required.

I'm sure you can probably remove the comb riser, (to remove bolt) but I have some hand issues (service related injuries) that make sometimes "simple" stuff like this difficult for me. Last thing I wanna do is be taking more things off the rifle, re-assemble, etc... while at the range shooting while trying to break in the rig.

Last edited:
    Reactions: All Hands In

All Hands In

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 21, 2020
    Any sage wisdom on hunting/accuracy loads for 308? Planning to work up 168gr Barnes TTSX and Varget for black bear and deer. Unless someone has suggestions or guidance to consider other brands, weight, etc.?

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 15, 2019
    Anyone thinks this could be serviceable for intro PRS shooting? I know it's not a heavy, finely tuned set up, but with a gamechanger bag, would it be workable? I'm all about consolidating my firearms as much as possible, rather than having a dozen safe queens.

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 14, 2009
    Oriental, North Carolina
    I totally get your point, and I'm not a drama type person, but in this case, you are missing the point. The PROBLEM is if the stock can't fold- I can't remove the bolt to clean the rifle. (you must fold stock to remove bolt) I would NEVER, EVER shoot a rifle without cleaning first and making sure there's nothing in the bore. Also, I wanna follow Sig's recommendations for break in which is shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning, etc.... Gotta be able to have access to clean. At this point, I feel like you have to force the stock to fold with alot more pressure than what should be required.

I'm sure you can probably remove the comb riser, (to remove bolt) but I have some hand issues (service related injuries) that make sometimes "simple" stuff like this difficult for me. Last thing I wanna do is be taking more things off the rifle, re-assemble, etc... while at the range shooting while trying to break in the rig.
    It took a bit of cussing here to figure out how to get the stock to fold. There is a trick to it. Push the button down, put left pressure on the buttstock with the palm of your hand to relieve the pressure in the locking area, jiggle( technical term) and lift up. It takes some practice but it locks up solid.

Reactions: jafo96 and Gtscotty