New Sig CROSS

pgathomasb

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2020
Seems like some good reviews. Can anyone comment on the bolt smoothness and lift compared to say a Tikka, or some of the other nice custom rifles out there. Just out of curiosity wanted to see what people think of it. Also, how would you compare it to the Tikka Tac A1?
Lift is good and I like the shorter lift for clearance. I don't own a lot of customs but do own a few "shooters". I would compare the smoothness to my Seekins PH, but not as smooth as my Bergara. That being said, I would still describe the action as "smooth" and am VERY pleased.

CrabsandFootball

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like some good reviews. Can anyone comment on the bolt smoothness and lift compared to say a Tikka, or some of the other nice custom rifles out there. Just out of curiosity wanted to see what people think of it. Also, how would you compare it to the Tikka Tac A1?
Don't worry SigUSA will SigUSA over time.

Just like all the other products they come out with that people lust over, the end user will be the beta tester, they will come out with more revisions to fix deficiencies that should have been sorted out in per-production and their batch to batch quality will be all over the place.

It is a rinse and repeat strategy from SIGUSA going back to the late 90's. I can name about 15 products off the top of my head that went down this route, with most of them no longer produced or supported.

Sig gets their money and the customer moves on to something else/better. Then they get pulled into the same trap a few years later be i a P2XX series, P320, 55X series, 516/716, M400, MCX, 365, 250, ect ect ect.

The only constant with SigUSA is inconstancy. The Real Sig Saur AG and its subsidiaries in Germany and Switzerland are in a whole different league.

M4guru

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2006
Wyoming
Sig USA is the only Sig now, Sig GmBH shut down in June.

Blaser and Sauer do fine under the same holding group though.

Snafu_again

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2020
Sig gets their money and the customer moves on to something else/better. Then they get pulled into the same trap a few years later be i a P2XX series, P320, 55X series, 516/716, M400, MCX, 365, 250, ect ect ect.
I have a three for three success rate in my small sample group of those listed. Can’t say the same for other manufacturers, even S&W after 168 years in business has had some issues with their firearms. Guess I’ll just be happy with paying my money for the Cross and how it serves my purpose.

Last edited:

CrabsandFootball

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Sig USA is the only Sig now, Sig GmBH shut down in June.

Blaser and Sauer do fine under the same holding group though.
There is still swiss arms which makes the 55x series guns. Its a subsidiary of big sig. They just shut down the german arm, which didnt make much anymore and got hammered for illegal arms sales.

BigChungus

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2020
I agree that Sig usually beta tests their guns on the early adopters (P365, MCX Gen 1, P320 as examples), but the Cross seems to be a squared away rifle. What am I missing? This seems to be a solid new product with no glaring design flaws or necessary changes.

cliffy110

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
I agree that Sig usually beta tests their guns on the early adopters (P365, MCX Gen 1, P320 as examples), but the Cross seems to be a squared away rifle. What am I missing? This seems to be a solid new product with no glaring design flaws or necessary changes.

The only "improvement" that I want is a lighter barrel. I saw a video review that claimed they had one in the pipeline but have yet to get that confirmed. The video even said it would be called the "Brooks Range" version.

cliffy110

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
Lighter? How much lighter? What contour/are you thinking about?

There are options.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
My goal is to be as light as possible and still have a threaded barrel. My current rifle is a Steyr Scout that I shortened to 16" and threaded to 1/2-28 (yeah... I know). The Cross is intended to fill the same role as the Scout... light, handy, versatile and accurate enough for field use. My goal is not the ultimate in accuracy at 1000 yards. Field use with field positions. It is a practical rifle. It is a back-up to the Steyr.

There are a bunch of guys on the Scout Rifle forum who are very interested in the Cross for the same reasons I am. It isn't exactly a scout in the technical sense but it seems as if it will fill the same niche in a general purpose rifle.

EDITED to add: if the rifle could be under 6 pounds before accessories, that would be perfect.

Frank Green

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
What caliber and finish length on the barrel?

Tooley has his gun in 6.5VM and the barrel finished at 18.5". With a suppressor and a 2.5-10 NF on it the gun weighs 8.37#. He took another 7 oz's out of the factory guns weight . So by him doing what he did with the new barrel he took just shy of a 1/2# out of it. So just a tick over 6# on the rifle itself.

Gun is shooting 1/2moa for him.

cliffy110

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
What caliber and finish length on the barrel?

Tooley has his gun in 6.5VM and the barrel finished at 18.5". With a suppressor and a 2.5-10 NF on it the gun weighs 8.37#. He took another 7 oz's out of the factory guns weight . So by him doing what he did with the new barrel he took just shy of a 1/2# out of it. So just a tick over 6# on the rifle itself.

Gun is shooting 1/2moa for him.
I don't have the gun yet (if you know where I can find one, let me know), but it will be the .308 with a 16" barrel and that is how I would also rebarrel it... but with a lighter profile. Losing half a pound would help a lot. I'd take more off if it were possible. I have a Sig BDX 2.5-8X waiting for this thing and if I could get the total package under 7.5 pounds, I'd be very happy.

M4guru

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2006
Wyoming
There is still swiss arms which makes the 55x series guns. Its a subsidiary of big sig. They just shut down the german arm, which didnt make much anymore and got hammered for illegal arms sales.
Do you mean L&O by "big Sig"?

SAN/Sig Sauer AG doesn't report to any other gun company, they're just another L&O holding. They own diaper/tampon companies too. The names are confusing, but Sig USA and Sig AG are only connected by ownership, not operations. They don't even import the Swiss Arms US market guns through Sig USA anymore. Blaser, Sauer, Mauser, Rigby, Sig Sauer AG...all make a wonderful product.

At any rate, your assessment of what seems to happen with their development cycle is spot on! I have had 3x 320s, 2x MCXs, and MPX, and an M400 I was gifted and a 516 I won on a prize table all have a recall (voluntary or otherwise...) or needed a trip back to work. I am hoping the Cross dodged my bad luck with current Sigs. I think they're all good designs for the most part but there's definitely an adjustment period. I've got to be an early adopter for professional reasons and the 4-step "getting my Sigs to work" process is getting old.

Last edited:

ma smith

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2020
I don't have the gun yet ... Losing half a pound would help a lot....
The base weight of Cross at 2.9kg is already below design goal for cooper 's scount concept at sub 3KG.

I'd also suggest that the 16 in 308 is very well balanced out of the box. My guess Cross was really designed to work with 277 fury and that round will probably do better out fo 16in than 308 due to its higher chamber pressures etc.

cliffy110

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
The base weight of Cross at 2.9kg is already below design goal for cooper 's scount concept at sub 3KG.

I'd also suggest that the 16 in 308 is very well balanced out of the box. My guess Cross was really designed to work with 277 fury and that round will probably do better out fo 16in than 308 due to its higher chamber pressures etc.
The 3 KG goal was with all accessories in place, including scope, rings and sling. The Steyr doesn't make this as it sets from the factory, but it can be done. https://cliffy109.blogspot.com/2020/07/the-3-kilogram-scout-rifle.html

My goal isn't a true "scout" rifle. My goal is a VERY good general purpose rifle. I will be adding a Rugged Micro 30 suppressor so the weight lost in barrel profile will be more than made up for in the weight of the can.

I know this isn't a scout rifle forum but if anybody is interested in what can be done to create a hell of a nice GP rifle, here's my other blog on the subject: https://cliffy109.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-clifford-gp-rifle.html

cypriss32

L337
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2004
Fresno, Ca
Just picked up a 6.5 Creed cross. Do you guys recommend Medium or High Warne 30mm Mountain tech rings with the cross and Bushnell LRHS.

CrabsandFootball

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Do you mean L&O by "big Sig"?

SAN/Sig Sauer AG doesn't report to any other gun company, they're just another L&O holding. They own diaper/tampon companies too. The names are confusing, but Sig USA and Sig AG are only connected by ownership, not operations. They don't even import the Swiss Arms US market guns through Sig USA anymore. Blaser, Sauer, Mauser, Rigby, Sig Sauer AG...all make a wonderful product.

At any rate, your assessment of what seems to happen with their development cycle is spot on! I have had 3x 320s, 2x MCXs, and MPX, and an M400 I was gifted and a 516 I won on a prize table all have a recall (voluntary or otherwise...) or needed a trip back to work. I am hoping the Cross dodged my bad luck with current Sigs. I think they're all good designs for the most part but there's definitely an adjustment period. I've got to be an early adopter for professional reasons and the 4-step "getting my Sigs to work" process is getting old.
Yea sorry if I got the terminology backwards or wrong. It looks like JDI is still importing 55X guns, and I need to pick up a 553 before that stops.

Sig Electro Optics is in my back yard and this is Sig country. Its hard explaining the history to all the bros that don't want to listen.

There are guys who think they are into guns and then there are GUN GUYS.

Frank Green

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
I don't have the gun yet (if you know where I can find one, let me know), but it will be the .308 with a 16" barrel and that is how I would also rebarrel it... but with a lighter profile. Losing half a pound would help a lot. I'd take more off if it were possible. I have a Sig BDX 2.5-8X waiting for this thing and if I could get the total package under 7.5 pounds, I'd be very happy.
I looked on gunbroker and there are several on there for sale.

I off hand don’t know of any distributors that have any in stock.

Sorry bud....best I can help you.

Snafu_again

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2020
Warne recommends a medium ring for 42-52mm, on their website. I’m running high Warne rings on my Cross with a 56mm Trijicon and there is 1/4” between the scope cover and the hand guard.

GuyCoker

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
May 18, 2010
United States
Anyone know where to purchase one? Gunbroker has them for like $1900, I understand supply and demand but paying $400 more for a box stock Sig is ridiculous, and puts the price too close to just buying a higher end rifle.

Last edited:

M4guru

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2006
Wyoming
They’re buying them from box stores and marking them up most likely. I would imagine ordering from Sportsman’s is your best bet for the next couple months.

Reactions: JeffLebowski

cliffy110

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
Omg... i found one... in 6.5. I have zero use for a new caliber. I wish i did. I stood around a local store and the guy had no idea what a Cross was but said he thought he saw a Sig box in the back. He walked out minutes later with a box that said Cross. About killed me to see the caliber.

Reactions: JLP83

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 1, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    You should see if they will ship and then let someone here know so they can call in to buy it and have it sent to their FFL

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 1, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Omg... i found one... in 6.5. I have zero use for a new caliber. I wish i did. I stood around a local store and the guy had no idea what a Cross was but said he thought he saw a Sig box in the back. He walked out minutes later with a box that said Cross. About killed me to see the caliber.
    I also bet you could have bought it and then done a barrel swap with someone here that could only find a .308 one...

JLP83

Sergeant
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • May 22, 2017
    Fort Worth TX
    Just wanna say thanks to this guy. He gave me their info and I called the place and bought it. Guy on the phone said it was the only one they had.

Reactions: W54/XM-388

cliffy110

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 6, 2020
    Just wanna say thanks to this guy. He gave me their info and I called the place and bought it. Guy on the phone said it was the only one they had.
    Well I'm glad it went to a good home. It hurt to not buy it. I mean, really hurt. I know what it is and how hard it is to find. If there were any way I could justify a new caliber, I'd have done it. I'm not a PRS shooter and never will be. To me, it is a practical rifle and I have so much M80 ammo that anything else just doesn't make sense. Enjoy it.

JLP83

Sergeant
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • May 22, 2017
    Fort Worth TX
    I'm sure it's been mentioned here somewhere but don't want to read the entire thread. Do these come with a pic rail for your bipod in the box or do I need to pick one up?

SSLIGH

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 19, 2008
    Newberry, SC
    If anyone is interested Sportsman Warehouse in Columbia, SC has a Sig Cross in 308 on the shelf. I looked at it today. My 6.5 Cross is suppose to arrive tomorrow so I didn’t snap it up. Hope it helps someone out.
    Good Luck

cliffy110

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 6, 2020
    If anyone is interested Sportsman Warehouse in Columbia, SC has a Sig Cross in 308 on the shelf. I looked at it today. My 6.5 Cross is suppose to arrive tomorrow so I didn’t snap it up. Hope it helps someone out.
    Good Luck

Really? That one was not in their web site at 3:00 today. There was one in WV and I bought it. Gotta drive 200 miles but you do what you gotta do.

Reactions: JLP83

SSLIGH

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 19, 2008
    Newberry, SC
    I know. I’ve looked on their website multiple times and it hasn’t been on it but the rifle has been at the store all week they said and I know it’s there as I held it. You may just have to call them.
    Good Luck

Reactions: cliffy110

Scoop

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2005
    SC - USA
    I'm sure it's been mentioned here somewhere but don't want to read the entire thread. Do these come with a pic rail for your bipod in the box or do I need to pick one up?
    You'll have to grab one. No Mlok attachments were in my box. Added an Mlok stud for my bipod and a QD sling attachment point on the side of the rail (both magpul).

346ci

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2010
    NC
    Good Luck

Thanks but not there as of 10:38 est...

cliffy110

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 6, 2020
    I'm picking mine up on Wednesday so I'm about to order some magazines and just want to make sure I understand this correctly. The AICS short from PMag will work just like the factory mag except it doesn't have a modified floorplate that allows for easier top loading. Do I have that right? No other differences to worry about?

I'm taking a Randy Cain practical rifle class next month and had planned on using my Steyr Scout but I think I'll use the Cross if I can get the mags.

inspcalahan

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 3, 2005
    The Last Frontier
    SIG says to contact Magpul directly, as they have no info on it right now.
    I called them last week and they were so confused, even by the color description of the followers, all they could say was the "brown" followers were the most current they could sell me, not the yellow ones with the raised tip that came with the rifle.

skebe

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2011
    GA, USA
    My local gun store has had three .308 and five 6.5cm on order for over a month.

I'm on the list for a .308 but they have no idea whatsoever when they will arrive.

At this point I'm hoping they come in before my birthday in January...

JWolfe

Private
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2020
    What tactical carry case does the forum recommend? I have my rifle gratefully/ scope arrives tomorrow. I have it in a Savier short case and am disappointed with the inside and outside dimensions. No space for mags or a place for the suppressor easily. So, 26.75" folded with the Surefire adapter on. I'm grateful for any suggestions. BTW, it shoots well with Federal 168 gr, HPBT at 100 yards and a borrows Burris scope from another rifle.

Thanks to the forum in advance.

Jeff in Boring, OR (the cosmic joke)

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 1, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    What tactical carry case does the forum recommend? I have my rifle gratefully/ scope arrives tomorrow. I have it in a Savier short case and am disappointed with the inside and outside dimensions. No space for mags or a place for the suppressor easily. So, 26.75" folded with the Surefire adapter on. I'm grateful for any suggestions. BTW, it shoots well with Federal 168 gr, HPBT at 100 yards and a borrows Burris scope from another rifle.

Thanks to the forum in advance.

Jeff in Boring, OR (the cosmic joke)
    It's really hard to go wrong with the Tactical Operations Small Drag Bag

Take a look at this thread:

If you want one, you might consider PMing @MikeRTacOps and see if he has any left in stock

midSCarolina

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 23, 2012
    Finally got mine in yesterday. Really impressed with the rifle so far, but still need to do some shooting obviously to formulate a real opinion.

I think I have a larue soft case that my fix fit in really nicely so I’ll try that out tonight and post pics.

D0312B31-2336-4420-A1BF-14CE88F85A26.jpeg

Last edited: