New Sig CROSS

Usmcsomerville

USMC Vet
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2017
Brighton, MI
Had anyone included in the recall actually heard back from Sig yet? I've not heard a word from them yet....
Nope not one thing. Talked to my buddy, who owns manages the local gun store, and they haven't heard anything either. Disappointed with Sig that they rush to tell everyone to stop using the rifle immediately, but then provide us no timeline or info.

Reactions: TriggerTX

RideWest

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2020
California
It would be nice if Sig listed a weekly update on their safety page. But realistically it's going to take several weeks before we are given shipping information.

They most likely have a couple different modifications to try. Prototypes will need to be made and then a bunch of testing done on pre and post mod rifles to see if they can duplicate the failure.

That process is going to take some time. It not as if they had a bunch of failures that came in over months and now have updated parts in stock. They have had only one failure reported a week ago.

Once they verify a solution to the problem, next they need to get the new part into production and build updated triggers. When they have a sufficient supply on hand they will start retrofitting stock and asking people who registered for the recall to return their rifles.

Scar 17

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2020
I wish the problem would be confined to just the trigger. I might not even send it back. I'm not fond of an 1/8" of overtravel in a trigger and I'm looking forward to a good aftermarket replacement.

SoVa

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2020
Virginia
I wish the problem would be confined to just the trigger. I might not even send it back. I'm not fond of an 1/8" of overtravel in a trigger and I'm looking forward to a good aftermarket replacement.

Yea, I don't find the stock trigger to be terrible but if trigger tech or Timney made a 1-2lb single stage for the cross I would definitely be in for one

cliffy110

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
Yea, I don't find the stock trigger to be terrible but if trigger tech or Timney made a 1-2lb single stage for the cross I would definitely be in for one
I plan on bringing up the overtravel when I send it in for the recall.

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    I bought a slightly-used Cross from a Hide member a few weeks ago. The rifle was in like-new condition and fully functional when purchased, so no issues with the seller. I did a quick field strip to verify cleanliness and lubrication, and everything looked great.

This past week, I was dry-firing it during a conference call, and suddenly something felt "off" with the bolt lift. A bit of inspection showed that the cocking piece (to use the classic term) wasn't traveling fully forward upon each pull of the trigger. And then I found this when I pulled the bolt and attempted to drop the cocking piece by twisting the shroud:

PXL_20201214_150736728.jpg

The cocking piece has two steel rollers to minimize friction - one at the its tip, and one roughly in its middle. The roller at the tip has left the building, and the pin that is supposed to retain it catches on the shroud and prevents full forward travel of the cocking piece.
    PXL_20201214_150825578.jpg

PXL_20201214_150907625.jpg

The cocking piece has a small peened section that appears to be intended to capture the roller axle pin. Unfortunately, if the feature fails to do its job, that pin can move, potentially bind the cocking piece, and prevent full firing pin travel.

It appears that the other roller and axle pin are captured during assembly of the striker mechanism and has a lower likelihood of moving after assembly (so long as its peened feature is intact; if that feature fails, the pin could potentially prevent bolt travel).

I gotta say that this is an unsatisfactory condition; we've added four pieces to the assembly to reduce bolt lift effort, and the result is a potential loss of primary function. This might be an American rifle, but its German heritage is evident :cautious: (Meanwhile, every mentor I've ever had in my engineering career is snickering at the fact that I've become the grumpy old guy who complains about shit being too complex.)

Anyways, now that I know more about what's going on in the striker assembly, it's no surprise that someone found a way to foul it up with some fine dirt/dust/cement/whatever and create enough drag to delay the firing process. And if indeed we're complicating that problem with parts not staying where they should, then I think we're witnessing the result of multiple root causes. Someone's gonna get beat over the head during the 8D process (assuming that Sig has one - evidence does not support this hypothesis).

If anyone at Sig is reading this, I'll be happy to show up and lead your guys through a full DFMEA at my normal consulting rate, but only if you promise that next time, you'll do the same before the product is launched ;)

Scar 17

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 2, 2020
    Holy crap. I guess I will be needing more than a trigger to fix this.........um.........I almost said "POS". :censored:

Last edited:

ToddM

Philanthropist
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 1, 2008
    PA
    I think the only steps Sig uses in D8 is 0,1,and 8 :)

Last edited:

ma smith

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 29, 2020
    I bought a slightly-used Cross from a Hide member a few weeks ago....This might be an American rifle, but its German heritage is evident :cautious: (Meanwhile, every mentor I've ever had in my engineering career is snickering at the fact that I've become the grumpy old guy who complains about shit being too complex.)

Had the same reaction..german engineering meets american marketing 😂

ma smith

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 29, 2020
    Probably 200g missing they will add back in version 2.0

Btw, take a look under the PIC rail 🤨

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 22, 2018
    I bought a slightly-used Cross from a Hide member a few weeks ago. The rifle was in like-new condition and fully functional when purchased, so no issues with the seller. I did a quick field strip to verify cleanliness and lubrication, and everything looked great.

This past week, I was dry-firing it during a conference call, and suddenly something felt "off" with the bolt lift. A bit of inspection showed that the cocking piece (to use the classic term) wasn't traveling fully forward upon each pull of the trigger. And then I found this when I pulled the bolt and attempted to drop the cocking piece by twisting the shroud:

View attachment 7500767

The cocking piece has two steel rollers to minimize friction - one at the its tip, and one roughly in its middle. The roller at the tip has left the building, and the pin that is supposed to retain it catches on the shroud and prevents full forward travel of the cocking piece.
    View attachment 7500768

View attachment 7500770

The cocking piece has a small peened section that appears to be intended to capture the roller axle pin. Unfortunately, if the feature fails to do its job, that pin can move, potentially bind the cocking piece, and prevent full firing pin travel.

It appears that the other roller and axle pin are captured during assembly of the striker mechanism and has a lower likelihood of moving after assembly (so long as its peened feature is intact; if that feature fails, the pin could potentially prevent bolt travel).

I gotta say that this is an unsatisfactory condition; we've added four pieces to the assembly to reduce bolt lift effort, and the result is a potential loss of primary function. This might be an American rifle, but its German heritage is evident :cautious: (Meanwhile, every mentor I've ever had in my engineering career is snickering at the fact that I've become the grumpy old guy who complains about shit being too complex.)

Anyways, now that I know more about what's going on in the striker assembly, it's no surprise that someone found a way to foul it up with some fine dirt/dust/cement/whatever and create enough drag to delay the firing process. And if indeed we're complicating that problem with parts not staying where they should, then I think we're witnessing the result of multiple root causes. Someone's gonna get beat over the head during the 8D process (assuming that Sig has one - evidence does not support this hypothesis).

If anyone at Sig is reading this, I'll be happy to show up and lead your guys through a full DFMEA at my normal consulting rate, but only if you promise that next time, you'll do the same before the product is launched ;)

Dis Engineer Sassy.... I second his nomination to Sig's "Why it not go boom now?" team.

• Haha
    Reactions: E. Bryant

RideWest

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2020
    California
    Dis Engineer Sassy.... I second his nomination to Sig's "Why it not go boom now?" team.

Wasn't there some type of bolt issue in September. Sig had started to ship the .308 version and then suddenly halted Cross shipments for about a month? I wonder if this failure is related to that earlier issue. I don't think Sig ever explained the problem.

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 22, 2018
    Wasn't there some type of bolt issue in September. Sig had started to ship the .308 version and then suddenly halted Cross shipments for about a month? I wonder if this failure is related to that earlier issue. I don't think Sig ever explained the problem.

I don't know if anything was ever confirmed, but I remember that a few folks were told that there was a bolt related problem found with the initial Cabela's rifles and some had to be sent back. Sig didn't put anything out at that time and I don't think I ever saw anything official at the time, so it's hard to figure if it was just gunshop lore or if there was a problem.

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 24, 2007
    Reno, NV
    I don't know if anything was ever confirmed, but I remember that a few folks were told that there was a bolt related problem found with the initial Cabela's rifles and some had to be sent back. Sig didn't put anything out at that time and I don't think I ever saw anything official at the time, so it's hard to figure if it was just gunshop lore or if there was a problem.
    It's true I witnessed it firsthand. I don't know if they said what the specific problem was but guns were pulled and bolts were either fixed or replaced I am not sure which. On Arf one of the Sig employees said is was a small number of rifles but gave no actual numbers.

ToddM

Philanthropist
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 1, 2008
    PA
    So really whatever this new issue is, is the second major issue they've had since release. Quality Control at it's finest!

tenringx

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    5-7 days isn’t too bad for a repair. The 14 weeks of total downtime since they issued the “stop use” message after I gave them what amounts to a $1500 tax-free loan sucks a bag of dicks though.
    Shot mine yesterday- no downtime here.

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 22, 2018
    Has anyone done barrel swap to one of @DAVETOOLEY CF barrels? I'm curious if the swap is as easy as advertised and if there is any minor weight savings to be had?

I swapped barrels with another member here who had a 6.5 and wanted a .308. It's a very easy job, just like an AR barrel with no need to time for the gas tube. I cut and shaped a stub of 2x4 to fit snugly as a mag well block. I'm sure that's not the recommended method, but it worked fine.

Edit: Swapped with PLX65, how's it shoot?

Last edited:

PLX65

Professional Rookie
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 5, 2018
    Akron
    I swapped barrels with another member here who had a 6.5 and wanted a .308. It's a very easy job, just like an AR barrel with no need to time for the gas block. I cut and shaped a stub of 2x4 to fit snugly as a mag well block. I'm sure that's not the recommended method, but it worked fine.

Edit: Swapped with PLX65, how's it shoot?
    It shoots great very pleased!!

Reactions: Gtscotty

Vivacious Stallion

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    The Streets of USA, Baby
    The recall wouldn't prevent me from buying one. I've continued to shoot mine. The failure was hangfire/trigger issue. Follow safe firearm practices and you'll be fine until Sig can get them all back and get them fixed.
    As a mostly broke grad student its not super confidence inspiring to scrap my pennies together for one only to have it go down on me and become potentially unsafe. But hopefully it all gets sorted out by then.

Reactions: Stoweit

Anonymoose

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 7, 2020
    USA
    As a mostly broke grad student its not super confidence inspiring to scrap my pennies together for one only to have it go down on me and become potentially unsafe. But hopefully it all gets sorted out by then.

These are my feelings as well. I will wait until everything is squared away before shelling out for one.

brazz04

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2018
    What's up with the Cross's on gun broker selling for $2,000 and $2,500 on gun broker? I mean if that's whats happening I may have to list mine and buy one again when they are re-released. Crazy prices for sure

Anonymoose

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 7, 2020
    USA
    What's up with the Cross's on gun broker selling for $2,000 and $2,500 on gun broker? I mean if that's whats happening I may have to list mine and buy one again when they are re-released. Crazy prices for sure

Haha, I just looked at this today. Was thinking about buying one this week but not at those prices.

brazz04

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2018
    It's odd that some are not getting bid on at $1,500, and others are being bid up to $2,500.
    Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 6.26.27 PM.png

ToddM

Philanthropist
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 1, 2008
    PA
    Usually this is one of 3 things:

1) Timing, sometimes for whatever reason bidding for a short time goes crazy, Sig MPX's were going for $4k a couple months back, usually when this happens sellers come out of the woodwork trying to cash in. Happens with SCAR's from time to time, right now most people are too busy selling $150 cases of 9mm for $600+ to bother with guns on gunbroker. Right now there's only 1 Sig Cross on gunbroker and that's probably why it's bidding over $2500. With the recall it could be months before new batches hit the market. If I had one I couldn't list it fast enough, if for no other reason than Sig will likely release a Gen 2 later this year with significant updates, just the way Sig does business.

2) Simply Sig fan boys. The same guys that were bidding $1500 for a 320 with an aluminum grip when they came out. Sig's marketing is top notch and there's no shortage of people swallowing it hook line and sinker.

3) It could also be bid manipulators, there's no shortage of people on auction sites having other accounts jack their bidding price up hoping to bait people into high bids. Gunbroker, like most auction places turns a blind eye to it, higher auction prices means more $ for them. If their "in" bidder wins it, they just relist saying there was an issue, or discrepancy in the description that required a new listing.

CWalker

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 14, 2020
    New Mexico
    I found a cross in creedmoor at Bass Pro in Round Rock Texas. Apparently it was there for two weeks. I attached some weight pictures for reference. I have ARC low rings on the Leupold Mark 6, but I need slightly higher rings to clear the scope a bit more. Also added a picture of the whole package including my dead air Sandman S. Looks like it will be right at 11lbs by the time I add a bipod. The bolt lift makes me realize how terrible my remington 700 really was. Hope to get out and shoot it this week.

View attachment 7438378
    View attachment 7438381View attachment 7438382
    @brazz04
    Did the ARC lows clear the scope objective? I have a Mark 6 on the way and am shopping for rings now, but hard to tell what height will work.

brazz04

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2018
    @brazz04
    Did the ARC lows clear the scope objective? I have a Mark 6 on the way and am shopping for rings now, but hard to tell what height will work.
    It clears, but it's so close that the nub on the magnification ring hit the pic rail when turned, which only allowed the magnification to go to about 12x. I love the mediums, it puts it high enough to use the cheek adjustment as well.

Reactions: CWalker

tango11

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 10, 2020
    I disassembled the bolt for the first time. I wasn’t sure if I have reassembled it right and there’s a gap between the striker shroud and the bolt assembly. Can someone confirm whether this is right? 652E66A6-D373-4D53-9A90-8541716524FA.jpeg

HousePlant

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    It's odd that some are not getting bid on at $1,500, and others are being bid up to $2,500.
    View attachment 7517363

I'm convinced GunBroker has "phantom bidders" galore. There's some stuff there that has no business - even now - being bid up so fast. I took a risk once and bid on a rifle at the entry price. Of course it was already bid for. So I bid at the lowest price I found in stock on a website (which happened to be a place 1 hour from me) for the same exact thing and it was already bid for at that almost $1,000 higher price. This was the day of listing. Either there's a bunch of idiots bidding with no strategy on GunBroker or it's rigged. I lean toward the latter for sure.

Gtscotty

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 22, 2018
    Finally got out to the range weekend before last, after installing the 6.5 barrel in my Cross. With the ammo situation being what it is, I brought along two loads that I had worked up specifically for my Kimber:

IMG_20210116_195755383~01.jpg

Not too bad for random loads and a shakey rear bag setup.

With the same loads my 20" Kimber gets:
    127gr LRX - 2,850 fps
    143gr ABLR - 2,730 fps

brazz04

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2018
    Got out to the range again with my 6.5. Mine seems to really love the 120 ELD-M from Hornady for sure. the top left and top right groups were more for speed than accuracy, still not terrible there though. I took a gamble on the 120's and I'm glad I did. Time to move out to the longer ranges. Also bought one of the Cabela's Covenant 7 scopes in 3-21x because I had points and got it for I think $270. So I threw it on to check it out and that's what was used for these groups. Not sure where it will end up but seems to be a good enough scope.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:31:36.168521.PNG
      Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:31:36.168521.PNG
      1.1 MB · Views: 15
    • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:29:32.821364.PNG
      Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:29:32.821364.PNG
      1.2 MB · Views: 12
    • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:26:38.830072.PNG
      Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:26:38.830072.PNG
      1.6 MB · Views: 10
    • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:24:41.856488.PNG
      Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:24:41.856488.PNG