• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig CROSS

Probably 200g missing they will add back in version 2.0

Btw, take a look under the PIC rail 🤨

I bought a slightly-used Cross from a Hide member a few weeks ago. The rifle was in like-new condition and fully functional when purchased, so no issues with the seller. I did a quick field strip to verify cleanliness and lubrication, and everything looked great.

This past week, I was dry-firing it during a conference call, and suddenly something felt "off" with the bolt lift. A bit of inspection showed that the cocking piece (to use the classic term) wasn't traveling fully forward upon each pull of the trigger. And then I found this when I pulled the bolt and attempted to drop the cocking piece by twisting the shroud:

View attachment 7500767

The cocking piece has two steel rollers to minimize friction - one at the its tip, and one roughly in its middle. The roller at the tip has left the building, and the pin that is supposed to retain it catches on the shroud and prevents full forward travel of the cocking piece.
View attachment 7500768

View attachment 7500770

The cocking piece has a small peened section that appears to be intended to capture the roller axle pin. Unfortunately, if the feature fails to do its job, that pin can move, potentially bind the cocking piece, and prevent full firing pin travel.

It appears that the other roller and axle pin are captured during assembly of the striker mechanism and has a lower likelihood of moving after assembly (so long as its peened feature is intact; if that feature fails, the pin could potentially prevent bolt travel).

I gotta say that this is an unsatisfactory condition; we've added four pieces to the assembly to reduce bolt lift effort, and the result is a potential loss of primary function. This might be an American rifle, but its German heritage is evident :cautious: (Meanwhile, every mentor I've ever had in my engineering career is snickering at the fact that I've become the grumpy old guy who complains about shit being too complex.)

Anyways, now that I know more about what's going on in the striker assembly, it's no surprise that someone found a way to foul it up with some fine dirt/dust/cement/whatever and create enough drag to delay the firing process. And if indeed we're complicating that problem with parts not staying where they should, then I think we're witnessing the result of multiple root causes. Someone's gonna get beat over the head during the 8D process (assuming that Sig has one - evidence does not support this hypothesis).

If anyone at Sig is reading this, I'll be happy to show up and lead your guys through a full DFMEA at my normal consulting rate, but only if you promise that next time, you'll do the same before the product is launched ;)

Dis Engineer Sassy.... I second his nomination to Sig's "Why it not go boom now?" team.

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant
Dis Engineer Sassy.... I second his nomination to Sig's "Why it not go boom now?" team.

Wasn't there some type of bolt issue in September. Sig had started to ship the .308 version and then suddenly halted Cross shipments for about a month? I wonder if this failure is related to that earlier issue. I don't think Sig ever explained the problem.

Wasn't there some type of bolt issue in September. Sig had started to ship the .308 version and then suddenly halted Cross shipments for about a month? I wonder if this failure is related to that earlier issue. I don't think Sig ever explained the problem.

I don't know if anything was ever confirmed, but I remember that a few folks were told that there was a bolt related problem found with the initial Cabela's rifles and some had to be sent back. Sig didn't put anything out at that time and I don't think I ever saw anything official at the time, so it's hard to figure if it was just gunshop lore or if there was a problem.

I don't know if anything was ever confirmed, but I remember that a few folks were told that there was a bolt related problem found with the initial Cabela's rifles and some had to be sent back. Sig didn't put anything out at that time and I don't think I ever saw anything official at the time, so it's hard to figure if it was just gunshop lore or if there was a problem.
It's true I witnessed it firsthand. I don't know if they said what the specific problem was but guns were pulled and bolts were either fixed or replaced I am not sure which. On Arf one of the Sig employees said is was a small number of rifles but gave no actual numbers.

So really whatever this new issue is, is the second major issue they've had since release. Quality Control at it's finest!

Screenshot_20201228-082432_Outlook.jpg

Just received this update asking to verify my information.

5-7 days isn’t too bad for a repair. The 14 weeks of total downtime since they issued the “stop use” message after I gave them what amounts to a $1500 tax-free loan sucks a bag of dicks though.

5-7 days isn’t too bad for a repair. The 14 weeks of total downtime since they issued the “stop use” message after I gave them what amounts to a $1500 tax-free loan sucks a bag of dicks though.
Shot mine yesterday- no downtime here.

Has anyone done barrel swap to one of @DAVETOOLEY CF barrels? I'm curious if the swap is as easy as advertised and if there is any minor weight savings to be had?

I swapped barrels with another member here who had a 6.5 and wanted a .308. It's a very easy job, just like an AR barrel with no need to time for the gas tube. I cut and shaped a stub of 2x4 to fit snugly as a mag well block. I'm sure that's not the recommended method, but it worked fine.

Edit: Swapped with PLX65, how's it shoot?

Last edited:
I swapped barrels with another member here who had a 6.5 and wanted a .308. It's a very easy job, just like an AR barrel with no need to time for the gas block. I cut and shaped a stub of 2x4 to fit snugly as a mag well block. I'm sure that's not the recommended method, but it worked fine.

Edit: Swapped with PLX65, how's it shoot?
It shoots great very pleased!!

Reactions: Gtscotty
I hope so too, I still really want one!

The recall wouldn't prevent me from buying one. I've continued to shoot mine. The failure was hangfire/trigger issue. Follow safe firearm practices and you'll be fine until Sig can get them all back and get them fixed.

The recall wouldn't prevent me from buying one. I've continued to shoot mine. The failure was hangfire/trigger issue. Follow safe firearm practices and you'll be fine until Sig can get them all back and get them fixed.
As a mostly broke grad student its not super confidence inspiring to scrap my pennies together for one only to have it go down on me and become potentially unsafe. But hopefully it all gets sorted out by then.

Reactions: Stoweit
As a mostly broke grad student its not super confidence inspiring to scrap my pennies together for one only to have it go down on me and become potentially unsafe. But hopefully it all gets sorted out by then.

These are my feelings as well. I will wait until everything is squared away before shelling out for one.

What's up with the Cross's on gun broker selling for $2,000 and $2,500 on gun broker? I mean if that's whats happening I may have to list mine and buy one again when they are re-released. Crazy prices for sure

What's up with the Cross's on gun broker selling for $2,000 and $2,500 on gun broker? I mean if that's whats happening I may have to list mine and buy one again when they are re-released. Crazy prices for sure

Haha, I just looked at this today. Was thinking about buying one this week but not at those prices.

It's odd that some are not getting bid on at $1,500, and others are being bid up to $2,500.
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 6.26.27 PM.png

Usually this is one of 3 things:

1) Timing, sometimes for whatever reason bidding for a short time goes crazy, Sig MPX's were going for $4k a couple months back, usually when this happens sellers come out of the woodwork trying to cash in. Happens with SCAR's from time to time, right now most people are too busy selling $150 cases of 9mm for $600+ to bother with guns on gunbroker. Right now there's only 1 Sig Cross on gunbroker and that's probably why it's bidding over $2500. With the recall it could be months before new batches hit the market. If I had one I couldn't list it fast enough, if for no other reason than Sig will likely release a Gen 2 later this year with significant updates, just the way Sig does business.

2) Simply Sig fan boys. The same guys that were bidding $1500 for a 320 with an aluminum grip when they came out. Sig's marketing is top notch and there's no shortage of people swallowing it hook line and sinker.

3) It could also be bid manipulators, there's no shortage of people on auction sites having other accounts jack their bidding price up hoping to bait people into high bids. Gunbroker, like most auction places turns a blind eye to it, higher auction prices means more $ for them. If their "in" bidder wins it, they just relist saying there was an issue, or discrepancy in the description that required a new listing.

I found a cross in creedmoor at Bass Pro in Round Rock Texas. Apparently it was there for two weeks. I attached some weight pictures for reference. I have ARC low rings on the Leupold Mark 6, but I need slightly higher rings to clear the scope a bit more. Also added a picture of the whole package including my dead air Sandman S. Looks like it will be right at 11lbs by the time I add a bipod. The bolt lift makes me realize how terrible my remington 700 really was. Hope to get out and shoot it this week.

View attachment 7438378
View attachment 7438381View attachment 7438382
@brazz04
Did the ARC lows clear the scope objective? I have a Mark 6 on the way and am shopping for rings now, but hard to tell what height will work.

@brazz04
Did the ARC lows clear the scope objective? I have a Mark 6 on the way and am shopping for rings now, but hard to tell what height will work.
It clears, but it's so close that the nub on the magnification ring hit the pic rail when turned, which only allowed the magnification to go to about 12x. I love the mediums, it puts it high enough to use the cheek adjustment as well.

Reactions: CWalker
I disassembled the bolt for the first time. I wasn’t sure if I have reassembled it right and there’s a gap between the striker shroud and the bolt assembly. Can someone confirm whether this is right?
652E66A6-D373-4D53-9A90-8541716524FA.jpeg

It's odd that some are not getting bid on at $1,500, and others are being bid up to $2,500.
View attachment 7517363

I'm convinced GunBroker has "phantom bidders" galore. There's some stuff there that has no business - even now - being bid up so fast. I took a risk once and bid on a rifle at the entry price. Of course it was already bid for. So I bid at the lowest price I found in stock on a website (which happened to be a place 1 hour from me) for the same exact thing and it was already bid for at that almost $1,000 higher price. This was the day of listing. Either there's a bunch of idiots bidding with no strategy on GunBroker or it's rigged. I lean toward the latter for sure.

Finally got out to the range weekend before last, after installing the 6.5 barrel in my Cross. With the ammo situation being what it is, I brought along two loads that I had worked up specifically for my Kimber:

IMG_20210116_195755383~01.jpg

Not too bad for random loads and a shakey rear bag setup.

With the same loads my 20" Kimber gets:
127gr LRX - 2,850 fps
143gr ABLR - 2,730 fps

Reactions: Ed123hawaii
Got out to the range again with my 6.5. Mine seems to really love the 120 ELD-M from Hornady for sure. the top left and top right groups were more for speed than accuracy, still not terrible there though. I took a gamble on the 120's and I'm glad I did. Time to move out to the longer ranges. Also bought one of the Cabela's Covenant 7 scopes in 3-21x because I had points and got it for I think $270. So I threw it on to check it out and that's what was used for these groups. Not sure where it will end up but seems to be a good enough scope.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:31:36.168521.PNG
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:31:36.168521.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:29:32.821364.PNG
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:29:32.821364.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:26:38.830072.PNG
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:26:38.830072.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:24:41.856488.PNG
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-02 20:24:41.856488.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8400.JPG
    IMG_8400.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 100
Is Sig shipping new Cross rifles, or has the recall halted new production?

I knew better to prepay for one last July but did it anyway.

Sitting here with a new scope, rings, and spare mags just waiting...

Has anyone received the box yet? It has been six weeks...

I sent an email to them asking if they could give an estimated time when the upgraded rifles would ship, this was 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back. As far as the returns you could send an email but I doubt that will do any good either 🤷

Thanks! I sent an email right before Christmas and got a generic copy and paste response. I suppose that is as good as it gets for now.

I guess one highlight of living in the dictatorship to the North is that by the time we ever see a Cross it should have all the bugs worked out by you poor fellas....

I just learn that the 6.5 creedmoor has a barrel life of 3000-4000 rounds. Does the cross take proprietary barrel? How much would it cost to change barrel usually?

Also, what will I need for changing caliber, if I want?

I called customer support this morning, they had no update. I asked the person I spoke with to put in a request to the Cross team at least put something on their web site with the current status.

When these were released last summer, I was hoping to have one for hunting season...I guess I never specified which year.

Hopefully they’ll have the bugs worked out by the time I find one, or something else better hits the market. 16”-18” barrel, light weight, 6.5 Creed...there aren’t an abundance of options.