• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig Spear (6.8x51 Sig Fury) now shipping

61d437b198eb1b3d506df7e7255ef8d8c95e42e928083.png

Normally when you win a contract, you don’t go offering your submission finalist design to the public.

SIG NGSW carbine, suppressor, and .277 Fury ammo for sale to civilians to try to recoup RDT&E funds?......check

Beretta RM227 bullpup NGSW + True Velocity system for sale to civilians announced at SHOT......check

iu

Textron Systems/AAI/Hk......crickets

Army Awards $20 million contract to Winchester to tool-up for new 6.8 NGSW ammo.

Vortex awarded NGSW-FC contract worth up to $2.7 Billion
Textron dropped out completely. so SIG and GD were the only ones left, and GD divested interest to Lonestar and Beretta

To me selling to the public is a smart move, as it allows them to prove out the concept, and recoup some of the investment. I expect more than a few will find use with SF of various persuasions.

Last edited:
It'd be interesting to see a move to a whole new platform and caliber, but if it doesn't happen the DoD should standardize on the m4a1 as the base model for non-infantry. Issue something like the 416/m27, SCAR L, or even full ambi Barrett Rec7, LMT, or LWRC piston guns for infantry and those who work right alongside infantry.

Hell LWRC is already tooled for this with their 6.8 receivers. Magpull 6.8 mags for CQB stuff done. Just build metal mags for longer coal and put the right caliber in it.

It’s truly a shame the Six8 isn’t more popular. They went the right way design-wise making the magwell bigger, but what to do with all my STANAG mags…

It’s truly a shame the Six8 isn’t more popular. They went the right way design-wise making the magwell bigger, but what to do with all my STANAG mags…
I have plenty of STANAG mouths to feed. More food for them (y)

If PRI made a steel Six8 mag, LWRC would not be able to keep up with receiver set orders. There damn nice & under rated receivers. Stiff as a mono with ease of barrel install.

Am I the only one who finds it curious that at least 2 of the 3 finalists for NGSW are releasing their rifle/suppressor/hybrid ammunition submissions to the civilian market?

Keep in mind that no contract award for rifles, LMGs, or ammo has been announced, unless I missed something, whereas the Electro-Optical Aiming System award has been announced.

What does that tell you....
I thought I read somewhere that Winchester had been awarded the contract to make 6.8x51 ammo.

Am I the only one who finds it curious that at least 2 of the 3 finalists for NGSW are releasing their rifle/suppressor/hybrid ammunition submissions to the civilian market?

Keep in mind that no contract award for rifles, LMGs, or ammo has been announced, unless I missed something, whereas the Electro-Optical Aiming System award has been announced.

What does that tell you....
Well I think you can look at this with two incentives to release it publicly. One huge beta test. Let the people do the work

Two of you get a massive Interest and it successful it may help swayth towards your design because of the public support

Maybe I’ve missed it but I haven’t seen anything on barrel life.

I’ve heard them discuss the case modifications to handle the pressure but at 80k and from what I have seen as far as expected velocity we have basically a 6.8 pushing 6.5x284 numbers but at higher pressure.

Now I loved my 6.5x284 chambered by John pierce it was one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever owned but they should have put a gauge on the barrel like a gas gauge You would be able to watch the needle move with each shot. Run to full capability I think that barrel was good for 1800 rounds give or take

Maybe I’ve missed it but I haven’t seen anything on barrel life.

I’ve heard them discuss the case modifications to handle the pressure but at 80k and from what I have seen as far as expected velocity we have basically a 6.8 pushing 6.5x284 numbers but at higher pressure.

Now I loved my 6.5x284 chambered by John pierce it was one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever owned but they should have put a gauge on the barrel like a gas gauge You would be able to watch the needle move with each shot. Run to full capability I think that barrel was good for 1800 rounds give or take
Some of the magnums are in the 800 usable round range. It all really depends on what goes on at the throat; I’m not sure the pressure directly corresponds with flame front or other components of throat wear. Maybe Frank is supplying Sig with 400MODBB?

Well I think you can look at this with two incentives to release it publicly. One huge beta test. Let the people do the work

Two of you get a massive Interest and it successful it may help swayth towards your design because of the public support
At $79.99 per box of 20 rounds, they’ll be getting nothing from the public. DoD doesn’t really work that way either. They couldn’t give a rip what anyone in the public sector has to say since the public is basically entirely ignorant of all the RDT&E that goes on at the various test centers, research labs, and what drives the program requirements for any defense program.

Like any other segment in the DoD, there are a ton of players in the RDT&E world. Even for people that have spent significant time at the test centers, its not exactly uncommon to feel like things are dictated by a magic 8 ball. With that being said, I think the most valuable aspect about the RDT&E world is that a ton of the test data gets back to the vendors and products are constantly being improved 2 to 5 percent at at a time.

As for barrel life on the 6.8x51, I would assume it probably falls somewhere between 6.5CM and 300WM, but it really all depends firing cycles. It also depends on what application the rifle is being used for. Longer range/accuracy applications are going to have a much higher accuracy requirement than banging man sized steel at sub 300 yards.

Its a neat round that i would like to mess around with if it could be reloaded, otherwise I think its hard to beat 6.5cm for most applications.

Reactions: 232593
Sounds like the Sig entry was announced as the winner of the NGSW competition today.

Still haven't seen any 6.8 cases or ammo in the wild, I wonder if that will change?
friend of mine in WV was crazy enough to order one of the Spears, cleared efile F4 yesterday. They’re planning to mail me some of the spent cases to mess around with, should be good fun.

Reactions: Bevo
It is going to be wildly expensive when it does....
I believe so, with that being said, if they could support an accuracy based 6.5 rifle and spare 308 barrels for plinking, I would consider one

Sig bagged the NGSW contract for 100K rifles supplied: the biggest take away from this is that 80K pressure is mainstream now
I don’t necessarily think so, the main reason they went for the pressure class was a specific requirement to fit the performance in a given cartridge size.

even if you scaled up or down the bimetal case tech, you might not see the same returns since force doesn’t scale in a linear fashion.

i think we may see a boost in performance in .308 Win derived cartridges, a “+P” or “Super” standard if you will, but there is a bit of research that needs to be done first on what actions can safely handle something like that vs not.

it’s not that crazy of an idea considering what we do with 9mm Luger today