• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Steiner T5Xi Tactical Rifle Scopes

full-retard.gif

Last I heard, these scopes won't even go into production until January 2015.

Source: Tom Frane.

I'm pretty excited to get all of your feedback on the new reticle.

I think it's freaking awesome. RJ I'm guessing you had a hand in the design and you guys definitely hit a home run with that reticle design!! !

I was looking at a H2CMR before because I really like .2 hashes on my horizontal line for more precise wind holds but that new SCR reticle is my new #1 pick. Plus, it's nice to be able to support a business in my home state so I think I will definitely have to get one of these.

Last edited:
This thread is great lol.

Hoping to bag a 5-25 under 2k then I'm going to buy one I think.

The price if sub 2k is semi sane compared to other options.

If people want prices to go down stop blindly paying 5k at the bat of an eyelid for scopes. Easier said than done I know.

This thread is awesome and should not be deleted. Sure, it gets rough in some places, but what great stories don't have some conflict? This is the dark middle chapter where all hope seems lost, the heroic band gets discouraged and distrustful, maybe some folks will fall out. But then, then we will come together, united behind a high quality and well priced product made in the USA and smite the enemy doubt with a well placed shot made easier because of the fine .2 mil wind holds found only in the SCR reticle.

And two weeks after the scopes release this thread will die because there is nothing left to discuss.

It will however give way briefly to multiple bench reviews.

VP, but I verified (again) today they are in production.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

And two weeks after the scopes release this thread will die because there is nothing left to discuss.

It will however give way briefly to multiple bench reviews.

I wouldn't say "die" so much as "metamorphosize, like an ugly caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly, whose life, although brief, is that much more remarkable and special for its brevity."

I wouldn't go on the Internet and just tell....lies.
No? But apparently you have no problem just stirring up shit, because so far in this thread that is all you've done.

It's simple really. The truth will out over the next few weeks and then perhaps the next few months. So your crap flinging does nothing but make you look like you have an axe to grind and it ain't pretty.

No? But apparently you have no problem just stirring up shit, because so far in this thread that is all you've done.

It's simple really. The truth will out over the next few weeks and then perhaps the next few months. So your crap flinging does nothing but make you look like you have an axe to grind and it ain't pretty.
Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

Serious question: What differences do each of the lenses make?
achromatic lenses typically bring red and blue to focus on the same plane. Apochromatic lenses take red, green, and blue light and focus them on the same plane.

Hope that helps

Kurt

achromatic lenses typically bring red and blue to focus on the same plane. Apochromatic lenses take red, green, and blue light and focus them on the same plane.

Hope that helps

Kurt

I like Red and Blue, but not Green...if my glass has Green I don't shoot as well

Serious question: What differences do each of the lenses make?

Hope that helps

Kurt

Like yercowboy said, the apochromatic lenses focus all three colors at the same plane/point. If they're not all on the same plane, you will always have some built-in blurriness that can't be adjusted out. I've been looking at S&B's PMII 5-25 and all the S&B's use the apochromatic lenses. Was just wondering about the Steiner. It might be an alternative for me is all. Cheaper scopes even use chromatic lenses which don't bring any of the colors together on the same plane.

To add a little more detail, any set of lenses will cause optical imperfections known as aberrations. Chromatic aberration is when the light from different colors focuses differently. Spherical aberration is when light focuses differently at on the edge of the lens than it does at the center. There are others as well. Aberrations result in distorted and blurred images

A single lens typically has lots of both spherical and chromatic aberration. So engineers get clever and design achromatic lenses, which are usually two differently ground lenses stacked together in a creative way that cancels out aberrations to a degree. Apochromatic lenses are usually three stacked lenses, and can reduce aberrations still further. (Basically, single lenses can only focus one color, achromats can focus two, and apochromats can focus three).

As you might guess, it's harder to line up two lenses than one, and three is more difficult than two. Tolerance stack ups become an issue and you have more lenses to deal with (and buy). The end result is better optics, but more cost. This gives a hint as to why good scopes are so much more expensive than cheap ones.

I'm no optical engineer, so this is a gross oversimplification. But you get the point - more lenses generally mean higher quality images and more cost.

Last edited:
When did it become cloudynights.com in here...? Pretty soon we'll be discussing Airy discs and collimation issues.

LOL. ;)

Yes, but I did learn something and it's much better than the pages and pages of chicken little and doubting Thomas posts, in my opinion.

To add a little more detail, any set of lenses will cause optical imperfections known as aberrations. Chromatic aberration is when the light from different colors focuses differently. Spherical aberration is when light focuses differently at on the edge of the lens than it does at the center. There are others as well. Aberrations result in distorted and blurred images

A single lens typically has lots of both spherical and chromatic aberration. So engineers get clever and design achromatic lenses, which are usually two differently ground lenses stacked together in a creative way that cancels out aberrations to a degree. Apochromatic lenses are usually three stacked lenses, and can reduce aberrations still further. (Basically, single lenses can only focus one color, achromats can focus two, and apochromats can focus three).

As you might guess, it's harder to line up two lenses than one, and three is more difficult than two. Tolerance stack ups become an issue and you have more lenses to deal with (and buy). The end result is better optics, but more cost. This gives a hint as to why good scopes are so much more expensive than cheap ones.

I'm no optical engineer, so this is a gross oversimplification. But you get the point - more lenses generally mean higher quality images and more cost.

Nope, my answer was a gross oversimplification. Yours was more in depth. I'm going to look at Steiner but I'm leaning toward S&B. I ordered a rifle from Accurate Ordnance and I'm looking for some really nice glass for it.

Last I heard was they were having issues with the turrets coming of the production line.

I heard that too. The very same guy told me that Hitler came back from the dead and Steiner stowed all of their ready made production in his vagina.

Then, Hitler fucked everybody again by disappearing back to the netherworld and took all of Steiners scopes and my huge stack of gold bars with him.

I just hope that Steiner was as well insured for loss as I am. Time to call my insurance company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

I heard that too. The very same guy told me that Hitler came back from the dead and Steiner stowed all of their ready made production in his vagina.

Then, Hitler fucked everybody again by disappearing back to the netherworld and took all of Steiners scopes and my huge stack of gold bars with him.

I just hope that Steiner was as well insured for loss as I am. Time to call my insurance company.

I always did hear that Hitler was/is a Hermaphrodite so this story isn't that far fetched.

Average is 30.4167 days, but months don't lend themselves to average number of days. Sorta like the average family has 1.6 kids...

Sent from South Texas using Tapatalk

Considering you never substantiated your other Bullshit claims I'll take this statement with a grain molecule :)
It's because the ruffled skin brass fittings that are integral to the internals were too soft and wouldn't hold adjustments.

It's because the ruffled skin brass fittings that are integral to the internals were too soft and wouldn't hold adjustments.

Fair enough, just curious how you know. QuickDraw is sponsored by them and seems to have a great working relationship with them and he's not hearing this.

I heard that when the boys in Colorado opened up the box from Germany that had all those fancy high end lenses, they discovered they had been sent a bunch of polished up glass using the bottoms off those old, thick Coca-cola bottles. They were mounted on each end to a Brawny paper towel tube. The message enclosed said," Verpiss Dich American Schweine!!!"

Germans think that shit is funny.....

I heard that when the boys in Colorado opened up the box from Germany that had all those fancy high end lenses, they discovered they had been sent a bunch of polished up glass using the bottoms off those old, thick Coca-cola bottles. They were mounted on each end to a Brawny paper towel tube. The message enclosed said," Verpiss Dich American Schweine!!!"

Germans think that shit is funny.....

Which explains the super affordable price points for this line - now it all makes sense...

I'm just curious why there is so much secrecy about this release after they announced it so loudly and then all official word from Steiner reps just completely dried up, even after they claimed they were getting a PR guy specifically for this kind of stuff. I hope they deliver in September, just seems less and less likely. RJ (quickdraw) is a good dude and helped develop a great reticle but where are the actual employees that started this thread?

We (the shooting community) told the hooker (steiner) that we were actually all of the members of the local AIDS/Herpes/Latex Allergy convention (aka complete assholes) and wanted to run a train on her. And she ran the fuck off.
I'm just curious why there is so much secrecy about this release after they announced it so loudly and then all official word from Steiner reps just completely dried up, even after they claimed they were getting a PR guy specifically for this kind of stuff. I hope they deliver in September, just seems less and less likely. RJ (quickdraw) is a good dude and helped develop a great reticle but where are the actual employees that started this thread?

I do have to admit, it's been kind of odd.

Tons of communication in May, everyone all fired up and excited to see the mid-September release. Then nothing.

If it weren't for QuickDraw, there would be nothing but a whole bunch of confused Hide members and nothing but the sound of crickets chirping from the Steiner camp.

Speaking for myself. I thought all the silence doesn't bode well. I've moved on. I'll get a couple XTR II's and run with them till the Steiner is released AND readily available. Which isn't always the same thing.

So the dude was getting beat up on here and thats why he just disappeared? Come on, he couldn't have been treated that bad. I'm trying to decipher your eloquent Herpes analogy. :)

We (the shooting community) told the hooker (steiner) that we were actually all of the members of the local AIDS/Herpes/Latex Allergy convention (aka complete assholes) and wanted to run a train on her. And she ran the fuck off.

On one hand you have people trying to stir up shit for no reason and on the other, the same old blah blah with XXX company makes promises and sets deadlines for release..........and it never happens.

It drives me nuts, Don't give people false expectations and leave them waiting. Yes its part of marketing strategy, but it leaves a bad taste in people's mouth. In an industry where there is heavy saturation and the products are similar, this is not going to win favor.

Be honest, If you want to keep people updated, then keep them updated. Releasing only the positive information then disappearing, being ambiguous, and being non descript is not right. People here will spend money if the product is good and the company stands behind them. You can't have it both ways.