• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater New "The Hobbit" Trailer

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1SJ7yaa7cI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1SJ7yaa7cI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

We're in the home stretch - this one will be out in a few months. Part 2 in Dec 2013 and Part 3 in summer 2014.

Re: New "The Hobbit" Trailer

I cannot wait. I am a through and through fantasy/tolkien nerd. Lord of the Rings was beyond awesome, this should be just as good if not better.

^^ same here, I just finished "The Silmarillion" last month. There is enough material in that collection to make a lifetime of movies. I was amazed how Tolkien could keep track of all this stuff. It is as if he made it all up as he went along, but comes back to characters and lands over and over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot wait. I am a through and through fantasy/tolkien nerd. Lord of the Rings was beyond awesome, this should be just as good if not better. </div></div>

I could not agree more!

Silmarillion? Finished? Gorsh, how'd ya manage to stay awake through the whole thing?

The one thing I learned from the Silmarillion is that Chroistopher Tolkien is not J.R.R. Tolkien...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silmarillion? Finished? Gorsh, how'd ya manage to stay awake through the whole thing?

The one thing I learned from the Silmarillion is that Chroistopher Tolkien is not J.R.R. Tolkien...</div></div>

^ ^
    QFT

I hope this is the same quality of movie as the LOTR trilogy. It would be a shame if they drop the ball on this one

They are going to be making three movies out of one book?

The Hobbit is the shortest book and very easy to read, so easy an 11 year old can read it. This is no joke, my 11 year old daughter is reading it now.

Despite being "short" for a book, it is still too long for a movie, so I am thinking 3 movies can easily be done with this one book, and still have details left out.

It was originally planned as two films, but literally a few days after the wrap party (for principal photography), Peter Jackson announced that they would expand the second film into to the point where it made more sense to make a total of 3 films. So the first part, "An Unexpected Journey" will be out Dec 14th. We're in the final mad crunch to finish the visual effects on that one. Then "The Desolation of Smaug" is planned for a Dec 13, 2013 release and finally "There and Back Again" is planned for a July 18th, 2014 release.

This is my favorite story as a child . i used to play the audio tape of it under my pillow at night to go to sleep too =).

wow 3 movies. Why not, get every dollar they can. I am only too happy to pay

The first three were fantastic, best fantasy going until Game of Thrones. I am very much looking forward to this myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silmarillion? Finished? Gorsh, how'd ya manage to stay awake through the whole thing?

The one thing I learned from the Silmarillion is that Chroistopher Tolkien is not J.R.R. Tolkien... </div></div>

Oh it was not easy, but everything you ever wanted to know about Elves, Dwarfs, and Men of middle earth are in there. Yes, I do agree, Christopher's parts seemed rushed and to the point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where does this fit with the LOTR saga??</div></div>

The events of "The Hobbit" happen a generation before the events in "The Fellowship of the Ring." In fact, the first act of LOTR reflects a bit on Bilbo's adventures from "The Hobbit" as told to Frodo. If you watch the extended versions of the LOTR films you will see lots of little references to events in "The Hobbit." In a simple way, the discussion Samwise has about Shelob the giant spider (who Bilbo confronted) and a more subtle part where they come across three trolls turned to stone (also from one of Bilbo's events in "The Hobbit").

For readers of the Hobbit and the LoT-RIng trilogy, this is all familiar ground.

In the 1970's I tried retelling <span style="font-style: italic">The Hobbit</span> in episodes as Scout Campfire tales, conducted as dialogues. It was hugely popular with my Scouts, many of whom found the books, and for a few that led them further, to become more avid readers, which turned out to be helpful for all involved.

Tolkien believed that the British Isles, in his personal, historical reasoning, lacked their own ancient mythology; and he crafted his Middle Earth continuum out of adjacent societies' epics and sagas as a myth-like offering tailored to fill that perceived void.

I have plunged myself repeatedly into that continuum in a more than just simple diversion. Within its midst, I gain reacquaintance with myriad old and familiar friends of younger days, and rediscover that for many of my personal values, there remains a place, just pages away, where their validity still holds sway.

Greg