• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Tikka T3 Bolt handle

Re: New Tikka T3 Bolt handle

Talking about the shroud on the back of the bolt?? I noticed last weekend I have a small chunk broken off on mine. Only cosmetic but still.....

I too would like a alloy shroud! I was trying to find out if the shroud off the Sako 85 would fit but have had no luck. I PM'ed Pete the other week, he said he was hoping it would be about six weeks for the bottom metal to come out.

Im very interseted in this handle im gonna have to pick one up once I start to put my build together!

The shroud would be great. Mines been cracked since I've had my rifle, it's not getting any worse but still.... The bottom metal will be my next upgrade though.

It may cost a bit more in postage but try these guys, Richard and Fiona will help you out. http://www.hss.net.au/

http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?topic=48431.0
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well they are Finally here and looking good.
Manufactured in AU, high quality Aluminium CNC machined and finished in Black Anodising or in the white aluminium, suitable to be coated with a coating of your choice or buffed to a high polish. Two profiles round or octangular. The octangular follows the shape of the receiver, both look very good.
Will fit T3 all M595 and possibly M695 but haven't tried them yet.
Fitting is simple, remove bolt, twist the factory shroud away from the cut-out, visible underneath the bolt handle, approx 90 degrees. The shroud will come to a stop and slip straight off the back of the bolt. Take the replacement shroud and slip it on, twist the bolt back until the nose of the cocking piece drops into the first detent and its ready.
Pricing is identical for all profiles and finishes $85posted
</div></div>

cheers,

JJ

shroud013.jpg

shroud014.jpg

shroud016.jpg

shroud017.jpg

Holy crap you guys are making me spend money. I need to link to this thread on a board we have in Canada. Who says there are no parts for tikka????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy crap you guys are making me spend money. I need to link to this thread on a board we have in Canada. Who says there are no parts for tikka???? </div></div>
I look forward to seeing your posts on CGN, I will post a pic of my Tikka build up here when its done! Keep us posted.

I need to post before and after pics soon too. Between the manners stock, nightforce scope, bolt handle and possibly shroud now it should be even more a pleasure to shoot.

If you guys want a kick ass brake for the tactical check out richard near in Alberta. He makes a few things but the brake I bought from him is alot nice then the sako one IMO.

Also if anyone wants one of the little "tools" I made to change the bolt handle just send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you one free. I made about 50 of them and will be including them with the handles when some one buys one from now on. Just send me a PM and I'll PM back with my mailing address.

I also want to thank everyone who has bought one of the handles, and would like any feedback you have on them.

Thanks

Kit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fortis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also if anyone wants one of the little "tools" I made to change the bolt handle just send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you one free. I made about 50 of them and will be including them with the handles when some one buys one from now on. Just send me a PM and I'll PM back with my mailing address.

I also want to thank everyone who has bought one of the handles, and would like any feedback you have on them.

Thanks

Kit </div></div>

I have just got a TIKKA Tactical in .223. Do you have anymore of those aftermarket bolt handles? And how much is it to purchase one if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Gene

Fortis what happens if a scottish dumbass goes past the 1st detent putting on the shroud? How would said scottish dumbass rectify the problem.

Maybe another youtube video on how to de-dumbass the shroud would be great.

Many thanks for your help
scottish dumbass

Gene PM sent on your request.

Scottish Tornado

How the heck do you think a dumbass (me) found out you don't go past the detent!!! I've done it more times than I can count. It's also what breaks/cracks the shroud (dumbass me learned that the hard way to). What really sucks is if the tool comes out of the firing pin assy. Screwdrivers that are tapered come out real easy, thats why I made the kydex tools and are giving them away. I will make a new video and post it tommorow on how to fix "Tikka Bolt Handle Dumbass Syndrome"

Kit

Thanks fortis, I didnt even get the shroud off. I turned it the wrong way trying to get it off. Thought cool watch the video, clean the firing pin and order a bolt handle. Well that taught me not to mess with shit I know nothing about...lol

Mac

Yep same here did that twice and some of the other owners of tikka managed to break shroud not to mention springing the firing pin. I use a rag to force spring down (hand & rag
smile.gif
) and insert allen key (2mm) and it works - screwdriver doesn't.

I think this design is for Tikka employee amusement since i'm pretty sure they have a yearly bet going on how much broken shroud complaints they get. (if i were to bet i'd say 80% of all made break in first year
smile.gif
)

Took me about ten minutes to figure out how it comes apart. I had the bolt in my hand and reread the manual about 40,000 times. Finally figured it out and once you have done it, it is pretty easy. lol.

Regarding getting full use of the magazine dimension for .223 bullet seating in the T3; saw on another board where a guy took a dremel tool and after removing follower and spring, milled the rear block cavity about .1 or .25" to seat 80gr bullets where he wanted them.

No muss, no fuss.

Just saw this bolt handle and as everyone else must have one. I'm in the US what do I need to do to get one? My Tikka is the Tactical version in .223 Rem.

A little off topic but close, has any one had the plastic bolt shroud come lose in any way? Mine is a new rifle and it rocks a little. Have been carefull with the rifle but to me this little piecee of plastic on the bolt seems more vulnerable to problems than the plastic mags. This just seems like a big short cut in comparison to a Rem. 700 solid steel bolt system.

Hi Kit,
The funds are en route. Anxiously waiting for the bolt handle and tool.
Thanks AL

Al

Thanks I'll be watching for it. It was good taking to you the other day.

Kit

Here's some pics of one of the handles swept back like the factory one. Edited to add this was a one off special order.

25kmngp.jpg

1z6qmg7.jpg

MMMMM guess what just arrived in my hands as I was looking through this board........

Kwild

I made the Swept back one as a special for a Hide member. I don't like it beacuse it makes the bolt knob touch/rub on the knuckle of my trigger finger. The straight one is foward enough not to get in the way. I can't tell a difference at all in the way it cycles. I have pretty big hands so it might not be an issue for most people.

Kit

Let me know how you like the Handle.

I got it mounted up right before I left for work today. Works well and looks good. I will post some pics. The only thing I noticed which it to be expected is there is a little more pressure on the side of the bolt because with the bigger handle you put more force on the bolt. Similar to using a tactical latch on an ar-15. I am going to add just a tiny dab of grease on the bolt which should help that. But I sure like the ability to grab it with the web between my thumb and forefinger now. It is alot easier to lift and slide back. I like it.

I was playing with my new knob some more lol and found that it isnt really any different with the side pressure. Must have just been holding my rifle funny this afternoon. Anyways here are some pics of my rifle and the handle. Some other stuff on the like the Near brake, monopod, nightforce etc. Now if I could only get Mr. Manners to build me a stock.... Just kidding. I know it will be in my greedy little hands soon.

7734_131200661805_688906805_2944825_5526602_n.jpg

7734_131200666805_688906805_2944826_679755_n.jpg

7734_131200671805_688906805_2944827_2778952_n.jpg

7734_131200676805_688906805_2944828_7100255_n.jpg

7734_131200681805_688906805_2944829_3158765_n.jpg

Thanks Kwild

My Manners stock should be here soon as well. I think I'm going to order the Alum. bolt shroud to. And hopefully Pete Lincoln will have the bottom metal done soon.

Well I used this for the first time today at the range. It works sooo well. I was flicking up the bolt easily with just my trigger finger after the shot. Pull back and catch the round. So much nicer then the stock handle. Now I know why guys are changing over.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Thanks Fortis got it today had to install it immediately and its truly nice piece of work.

PS: That thread locking/protecting tape - i haven't seen that in possibly 20 years last time i saw it was in my fathers workshop where he used it when repairing cars.

help...i watched the youtube, all went well rotating the assembly and removing the shroud and then inserting the tool and rotating the internals, in the perfect postion and went to pull out the bolt knob and it wont budge, its in there like the rock of gibraltar, any suggestions???

Speaking of which I will have to order a s.s. version soon. I was using the ol lady's .223 varmint today working up some loads and wellllllllll...........using the stock handle pretty much just sucks now.

Keith

I'm glad the handle is working out so well for you. I know I could not go back to the original one now.

Larry

Check ypur PM's I sent you my phone number. give me a call and we'll try to figure out the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inalabama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">help...i watched the youtube, all went well rotating the assembly and removing the shroud and then inserting the tool and rotating the internals, in the perfect postion and went to pull out the bolt knob and it wont budge, its in there like the rock of gibraltar, any suggestions???
</div></div>

It took quite a bit of force to remove mine.

-pd

thanks pd i'm gonna ask a machinist buddy of mine to tap it out, fortis was very helpful over the phone,looks like a just got a real tight one from the factory

Are you still messing with that thing. Might as well keep the stock one and send me the new one
laugh.gif

My stock handle came out real easy and the new one fit very tight. Good work Kit it is a quality piece for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inalabama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks pd i'm gonna ask a machinist buddy of mine to tap it out, fortis was very helpful over the phone,looks like a just got a real tight one from the factory </div></div>

Did you get it yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you get it yet? </div></div>

Yeah... inquiring minds need to know...
grin.gif

John

nope not yet, not sure whats up...gonna check with my machinist pal and see what he thinks, fortis has been real nice, he'll refund my $$ if need be so no worry here