• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long range/precision shooting

the_math_ninja

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2011
BG KY
So I decided to take a step into long range and precision shooting. I'm by no means new to shooting, just to this particular area of shooting. Most of my shooting is with pistols. My rifle experience has mainly been for hunting or plinking around with my friend's AR.

My plan is to buy a Rem 700 in 308 and some decent glass and shoot the heck out of it, practicing basics and fundamentals. I have access to about 350 yards at the place where I practice the most and live about 30 min. away from a range with up to 1000 yards when I'm ready to move up in range.

So what I want to know is what can I do to upgrade the rifle once I get it? I suppose you can call this my build in progress gun. Any drop in parts or suggestions to help in accuracy?

Re: New to long range/precision shooting

Use the search box and just start reading.

The rem 700 is the best in my book starter, has many, many, options many!!

I came from same background, i was IDPA. i bought a 700 ACC-SD i think you should look at that, barrel threaded already for brake, total price cheeper than buying gun then having it done. its a 1:10 twist witch is better for heaver projectiles than the 1:12 that all the others have. and i build this....

IMG_0998.jpg

shoots under inch at 200 yards if i do my part no problem thats with hand load 178 Amax

IMG_0720.jpg

I will tell you this, the stock that comes on the ACC-sd is not good at all, i did stiffen it up and i put report on the hide if your interested.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2848641

also watch this video series as well...Its a 9 part veido but goes over all the problem areas you might incounter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdUhYz0q30o

we also have a photo demo on the Gunsmithing forum on the top but i found it easier to follow on veido

New......stock, barrel, trigger, recoil lug, get the action blueprinted, lugs lapped, bolt handle installed, barrel threaded for suppressor...that's what happened to my "little" project, and it only gets worse...

The ACC-SD really don't need blueprinting, mine did not, i have a regular 700 that needed it bad, i think and ive tried to call Remington to ask, the ACC-SD seam to have more detail to the construction. but the dam stocks suck for sure.

that's my $.02

ether way when you done your looking at 2k-2.8 that's reasonable figures with glass included, if you do all the work your self you'll save a few $$ but you'll spend same on gas gun (AR) but when you got it, you got it. no making things work. Im a full believer in buy once cry once

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ACC-SD really don't need blueprinting, mine did not, i have a regular 700 that needed it bad, i think and ive tried to call Remington to ask, the ACC-SD seam to have more detail to the construction</div></div>

Any actual non-anecdotal evidence to this from a credible source? Other than yours shoots well? Was it disassembled and checked how true to spec it was? Some 700s shoot well, some don't. I don't think it has anything to do with the AAC models. Seems that usually the best shooting 700s with factory barrels have tight headspace and good chamber jobs. I think its naive to think a factory Remington came out perfect and couldn't benefit from attention from a gunsmith.

I have to agree with tyler, I have a rifle built off of a 700P action that was supposed to be "perfect" because it came fro mthe remington custom shop. When I had it trued and rebarreled my smith made the comment that it was one of the worst he had ever seen. I wouldn't trust any factory action from remington to be perfect until it comes from a gunsmith.

get a good trigger a nice piece of glass and alot of ammo and have some fun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkmccoy11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a good trigger a nice piece of glass and alot of ammo and have some fun </div></div> Yep.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't want to spend a lot on this project (nor do I really have the means to as I'm still in college right now), so I think for now I'm going to try to find a decent stock to put on it and some good glass and start shooting.

Buy a 5r. Shoots good from the factory plus has a good stock as long as you like the palm swell.