• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the forum, Discussion on Barrett Ex Rings.

Wally Pinkerton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
Firstly I'll try to answer any preliminary questions.

Im shooting a Savage 110BA. Chambered .338 Lapua. Savage Factory base (20 MOA), Leupold Mark 4 Tactical Rings. Nightforce 8x32x56mm w/ NP-R1 reticle.
I've Zeroed at 500 Yards. Shooting at 1000 yards consistently.

I was planning on taking the gun out to 1500 yards, but ran out of "elevation/moa"

With the understanding that a new base is the simple answer. I CHOOSE not to change the base until all other options are expired.

After the zero I was Left with 29 MOA. Which does not get me to 1500 yards, even if I use the MOA hash marks on the scope.

NOW. To the Question. Has anyone used the Barrett ExRings. If so what kind of luck are you having and what issues have you had. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Why in the world would a set of $230 rings even be considered, as opposed to a <$100 base?

Thanks for the reply. The rail system on the BA is to MY liking. (I understand that it is not everyones favorite, that is a totally different thread altogether).

Hence the discussion.

It seems as though its not to your liking, if its not getting you where you need to be. The correct way to remedy your issue is with the base. Period.

Thanks again. Back to the original question if I may. Has anyone had any luck with the Barrett ExRings on a long range set up?

I believe it if you are saying it, but 1500 yard seems real doable with what you got .
Is that NF model that hampered with Elev. travel ??? . even on top your 20 MOA Base & plus a 500 yard Zero . are you sure you got a 20 MOA base on there ?
-

I have a 110FCP HS precision in .330LM. The factory savage 20MOA Base is actually an EGW 0 MOA base that comes on those models. I added a Badger base to mine and I measured both with micrometer calipers to confirm. The problem is your base, I don't know if you could make it work with rings or not but a BO base will run you ~$150 and it is much better quality as far as stability than the EGW.

The savage website says that the Rail system is indeed a 20 MOA base.

Hawkdriver, I don't believe the bases are the same on the HS as they are on the BA, the BA has the full rail system with PIC rails forward of the scope and on the left and right side, all as a one piece receiver.

Softcock, The 32x has 65 MOA available. After a 500 yard zero I had a remaining 29 MOA left over to "play with". I had contacted Nightforce and they said that they set their scopes up from the factory with the reticle in the middle, giving me 32 MOA travel up, and 32 MOA travel down. With my load I need 36.5 MOA to get to 1500 yards. And I would need ~50 MOA to reach out to one mile, Which is one of the goals I have in mind.

The ExRings are excellent products. I use them on a couple of my rifles and think they're one of the best options available for a gas gun with a flat pic-rail receiver. I think the problem you'll have with them is their height. Bore centerline on them is 1.6"-1.7" above the pic rail. That's like an extra-exta-high set of rings. Just FYI.