• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to the Hide

Bluesop7

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
West Texas
Hello everyone, I've been lurking around on here for a while and finally bought a GAP Rock in 308WIN with manners stock. I have placed a 10x42 super sniper on it for now until I hone my skills some and can justify spending 3k on a scope. I am not new to shooting but am new to shooting for any sort of reasonable accuracy.

My ultimate goal is get good enough to start shooting in tactical competions at unknows distances, angles, etc... Just wondering if yall have any tips for a new shooter getting into the game (aside from practice of course which is obvious). Anyone have experience with the training videos in here? Are they any good?

Re: New to the Hide

The training section has a LOT of good info. I think your best bet would be to go to one of the training courses from a reputable school, then use the training section to refresh your memory and ensure you are practicing properly.

Good luck!

Sounds like a good plan to me. Do you happen to know about any reputable courses within driving distance of Midland, TX? Is there a master list of sorts, that you can search for schools based on location?

I don't think ANYTHING is in driving distance from Midland, Tx...
That being said, North Texas Rifle Precision is in Dallas, and Rifle's Only is down in Kingsville. I don't have personal experience with NTRP, but Josh is a good shooter and good people. I do have experience with Rifle's Only, and they are awesome. Rifle's Only are the ones that do the online training here on the Hide too. I'd consider doing a PR1&2 with Rifle's Only to establish a really good base for your skills, then pay Josh a visit in Dallas every now and then to ensure you are keeping them up properly with the online training.

Hmmm, thats not too bad. Dallas is about 5 hours away and Kingsville is a little over 8 hours away. Kingsville is probably a little further away than I would like to drive and would probably be about the same cost to fly as I would spend in gas to get there. I could however easily drive to Dallas. I routinely make 3 hours drives for work so another 2 isnt a big deal.

Seeing as how NTRP is within driving distance, and thus probably more feasable to make logistically (although I could probably do either with some effort), do you think I could get a good base of fundamentals doing a day or two with Josh or should I just go for the Rifles Only PR1&2?

The CMP is in cahoots with the Army Marksmanship Unit and have produced several books/DVDs that would be a great benifit to a New (or Old) shooter. Nothing beats a good coach but you asked for books/DVDs, these are put out by the best shooters in the world.

Check out the complete list, start small and work your way up.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=BKS

Rifles Only is working on putting some classes together in the Dallas area as well. We should have that worked out in the next month. When we do it will be posted on the Rifles Only website as well as the Facebook page

Call Jay (Capt. Kick Ass on the Hide) at North Texas Rifle Precision. 972-824-8832 or check his website. He has a great class and its 1 on 1 class. Just you and him on the range. He also has bunk house on the range with plenty of room for a minimal charge. He stays at the bunk house during his class as well. Not only will you learn a lot, you will have a great time. He is usually busy so make sure to get in touch and get a date set.

Thanks guys. NTRP and RO are actually planning a joint training session that will be a 4 or 5 day class. It will be held on the NTRP range outside of Dallas. We're shooting for the fall right now but we're trying to coordinate schedules. We will make the announcement once we get it all ironed out. Expect to have your socks rocked off.

The online training is also a great way to start out, or learn what you've been doing wrong. They also let you use the money towered a class if you decide to take one at rifles only. Good luck