• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Vortex Razor Gen II Rifle Scopes (Images, Spec, Etc)

I really want one of these...excellent turret design, lots of elevation, good glass. But when I saw they weighed in at 48 oz...kind of reminded me when my girlfriend ordered a 20oz porterhouse steak at dinner one time: "honey that is going to be a big steak" I said, "well I'm really hungry!" she replied. Only half of it got eaten lol.

One can get a Steiner for the same price and the 5-25x weighs 13oz less. Does anyone know why is this scope so much heavier than the competition? Its machined from aluminum...perhaps the filled it with lead shot? I wonder if they will add the new turrets to the PST lineup as those scopes come in at only 23 oz.

Last edited:
Hmm the new Vortex scopes look mighty tempting... just sold a scope and now have $2K burning a hole in my pocket. I wonder if one of these new Vortex scopes would work on my precision AR15. :D

Does anyone know why is this scope so much heavier than the competition?

The optical design is most likely comprised of more elements. I read somewhere that alluded to the high power scopes having "up to 4 objective lenses" or something like that. Depending on the design criteria they may have opted for a series of more simplistic lenses rather then one more complex lens. That also may have to do with the price... I like the scope a lot though. :) much want! lol

The big change in weight came from switching a lot of the internal components to stainless steel. They wanted it bomb proof, looks like that's what they got. Everyone can complain about the extra 12oz over the competition but I'll take it for a scope I know won't let me down

I handled the scopes at SHOT show. I really wasn't expecting much when I first reached the Vortex booth but upon looking through the 4.5-27, I was impressed with the eye box, lack of tunneling at the low power range, reticle, clarity and overall build. It may be heavy but that wasn't really a concern for me. Also Vortex has conveyed a sense of durability and confidence in their products with the unconditional lifetime fully transferable warranty. You just can't beat a warranty like that.

The scope was so good at the price point that I put up a few of my S&Bs for sale.

I routinely hunt with a vortex 1-4 pst and the scope has not let me down. I'm glad there is at least one company trying to put out excellent products at a reasonable price point when there are scopes now exceeding $6k.

The big change in weight came from switching a lot of the internal components to stainless steel. They wanted it bomb proof, looks like that's what they got. Everyone can complain about the extra 12oz over the competition but I'll take it for a scope I know won't let me down

Everyone who owns a tier 1 scope will proclaim they are bomb proof, and of course so do the manufacturers.

Anyways I would buy this scope in a heartbeat if they sold a lightweight version with aluminum internals. Ounces turn into pounds fast.

A little on/off topic....I just got the new Vortex 1-6 mil/mil scope and DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a VERY nice scope for my JP. The glass is AMAZING and clear.

All I can say is WOW! Watch out coyotes...it feels like I'm cheating. :)

A little on/off topic....I just got the new Vortex 1-6 mil/mil scope and DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a VERY nice scope for my JP. The glass is AMAZING and clear.

All I can say is WOW! Watch out coyotes...it feels like I'm cheating. :)

I picked one this weekend as well, I'm super impressed.

AeaL1d8.jpg

Everyone who owns a tier 1 scope will proclaim they are bomb proof, and of course so do the manufacturers.

Anyways I would buy this scope in a heartbeat if they sold a lightweight version with aluminum internals. Ounces turn into pounds fast.

Yep.....it's what stopped me from choosing this scope. I wanted one......was almost set on one. 3.5 pounds is just too much though.

48 ounces is 3 pounds even to those worried about ounces.

I see people putting on adjustable cheek pieces when they don't even extend them, getting sniper fill in stocks and adding NV mounts to the front of stocks or on ring tops when they don't use NV because the military uses them or they want a "spec" rifle. They all add more weight. Unneeded, useless weight. I will take the extra 12 ounces and make it up somewhere else in the system if it becomes too burdensome.

Valid points....I am sure it is going to be a fantastic scope, especially considering the price break.

I see people putting on adjustable cheek pieces when they don't even extend them, getting sniper fill in stocks and adding NV mounts to the front of stocks or on ring tops when they don't use NV because the military uses them or they want a "spec" rifle. They all add more weight. Unneeded, useless weight. I will take the extra 12 ounces and make it up somewhere else in the system if it becomes too burdensome.

+1

New manners carbon fill stock would make up a part of the weight difference.

Hmmmm.....

Just looked on the Vortex website and the MSRP went up on both the 3-18 and the 4.5-27

3-18 is now $2599 MSRP
4.5-27 is now $2900 MSRP

Hmmmm.....

Just looked on the Vortex website and the MSRP went up on both the 3-18 and the 4.5-27

3-18 is now $2599 MSRP
4.5-27 is now $2900 MSRP

If I remember correctly that's what it always was on the Vortex site. That's MSRP. Not street price. Street price is $2199 for the 3-18x and $2499 for the 4.5-27.

If I remember correctly that's what it always was on the Vortex site. That's MSRP. Not street price. Street price is $2199 for the 3-18x and $2499 for the 4.5-27.

I thought I saw them listed as $2199 and $2499 MSRP.

I understand that the street price will be less but I was wondering if that would go up if the MSRP went up.

Maybe I read it wrong a couple months ago...

I thought I saw them listed as $2199 and $2499 MSRP.

I understand that the street price will be less but I was wondering if that would go up if the MSRP went up.

Maybe I read it wrong a couple months ago...

You read it correctly, they were listed at $2199 and $2499 on the Vortex website

You read it correctly, they were listed at $2199 and $2499 on the Vortex website

OK that's what I thought.

I was planning on getting the 4.5-27 and figuring on paying around $1800 (street price + mil discount) Then when I saw the MSRP had increased to $3k it made me wonder if street price would then increase to $2500.... I was hoping to keep it under 2k. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Wondering if someone at Vortex had put up the street price as MSRP by mistake and then they changed it. Struggles when did you see the lower MSRPs? I remember looking around SHOT time frame when they were being brought up and the Vortex site listed the same as it does now. Street price was always as listed above as well from the links in the first few posts by SWFA.

Not that it's a big deal though as even at the street prices with the features offered the scope is a bargain. After handling it at SHOT I knew this scope would be a serious contender in it's price range, especially the 4.5-27.

When SWFA posted the links to the scopes I went to the Vortex website and they had the same price posted on their site. Either they posted the wrong MSRP or they increased MSRP.

Here in Aus the 3 to 18 is set to be 2890 while the 4.5 to 27 is at 3290. Alot more than the 2.5k I was expecting

Wondering if someone at Vortex had put up the street price as MSRP by mistake and then they changed it. Struggles when did you see the lower MSRPs?

I believe it was right before shot show, I was wondering about their MSRPS too because SWFA's price was the same as the Vortex website and usually they are higher

Yeah I am betting someone at Vortex put the wrong MSRP on the site and corrected it later as the only street prices I had ever heard were the ones SWFA has listed. Must have been around SHOT when they changed it to the correct MSRP.

Hmm... I pre-ordered for $2250, wonder if I will owe someone some money now!

The "msrp" prices on our website have NOT changed since we put them up. Our system dates and logs every change we make. I checked and we have never modified/changed the msrp pricing. I think what may be happening and what seems to happen all to often is that people are used to seeing the actually selling prices on our dealer's websites and then they look at our web-site. This causes the MSRP sticker shock phenomenon.

That being said, it really wouldn't matter if we did raise the price on our website since we do not sell direct or on our website. The Vortex dealers are the place that you want to check pricing at.

Make sense?

Best Regards
Scott

The "msrp" prices on our website have NOT changed since we put them up. Our system dates and logs every change we make. I checked and we have never modified/changed the msrp pricing. I think what may be happening and what seems to happen all to often is that people are used to seeing the actually selling prices on our dealer's websites and then they look at our web-site. This causes the MSRP sticker shock phenomenon.

That being said, it really wouldn't matter if we did raise the price on our website since we do not sell direct or on our website. The Vortex dealers are the place that you want to check pricing at.

Make sense?

Best Regards
Scott

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying!!

Thanks for clarifying Scott. This is why it's good to have the actual companies on this site. Get the info direct from the horses mouth.

.... Get the info direct from the horses mouth.

Speaking of:D
Scott,
There are many here that are "chomping at the bit" on any updates to the release date of the 4.5-27.
Is it safe to anticipate these won't be shipping to dealers any sooner than August 2014?

3lbs...at the gym there are 3lb dumbbells. They keep them over by the fitness/yoga studio for all the women and old ladies to use.
If 3lbs is too much but 2lbs is just right, GO TO THE GYM.

f09477.001

I'm also waiting anxiously to get my hands on a GenII.

June/July time frame is what has always been stated by Vortex. Some dealers were saying April but I never heard that at SHOT. I am not going to start worrying until the last week in July.

June/July time frame is what has always been stated by Vortex. Some dealers were saying April but I never heard that at SHOT. I am not going to start worrying until the last week in July.
I would certainly like to have mine in hand before the end of July.

I would certainly like to have mine in hand before the end of July.

Hell yeah! Me too but you can't be upset with Vortex because they don't get it out before the scheduled release dates. We all get antsy when we want a new product but sometimes we have to wait. I am just trying to stay busy so I lose track of the time LOL

cool. Yeah I think im going to ditch my nightforce and get the 4.5-27x56 one in moa for my larue obr. I have enough faith in Vortex that I don't mind buying one of the first ones and being a guinea pig.