• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Winchester Australia 42gr 'Max' Powerpoint .22

aus_Rob91

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
North Queensland, Australia
I just bought a little 50rd pack of this today for $8. It is being sold pretty hard over here atm. Apparently it is one of the first commercial ammunitions to be made in and exported from Australia (I'm not sure if it has been rolled out in US as well though). There are vids on youtube showing some pretty impressive results in gel. Obviously it isn't a .223, but it looks pretty darn good and gives me a lot of faith in the .22lr.
The general overview is the 42gr copper jacketed hollowpoint penetrates 11-12 inches in ballistic gel, reliably expands to around .3 of an inch and leaves a 6 inch long, 3 inch wide channel in the gel when the hollowpoint opens up after about 1/2 inch in.
Has anyone used this ammo yet? If not I should be able to update on Saturday after I have a quick shot at the range. no effectiveness report but possibly get a good idea how it shoots. I really hope it does well as Australia beginning to produce ammunition can only be a good thing!

PS they are also selling a subsonic round with the same specs apart from having a lead coated round moving about 300-400fps slower I think.

Re: New Winchester Australia 42gr 'Max' Powerpoint .22

At least part of Winchester rimfire ammo being sold in Europe is made by Olin Australia.

I don't use much Win ammo, but currently I'm experimenting with "22 Long Z", and the box says:

Made in Australia by
Olin Australia Limited
Hays Road Point Henry
Geelong 3220

Seems to be next to Melbourne...