• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG22A1 6.5CM

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    We are currently working with the SAKO TRG22A1 in 65CM
    IMG_0444.JPG

I will note, I have an original TRG22 in 308, and the changes are well received as believe they did a great job changing the rifle to fit modern times. Mainly the adjustability in the stock. The TRG22A1 has a folding quick adjust stock. One note, be sure to tighten everything up as you can induce movement in the parts without securing. The bolt is one of the smoothest in the industry and when you run the bolt on a TRG you instantly fall in love. I am big fan of their triggers also.

This rifle is different from the M10 TRG by the fact it is not switch barrel capable. The barrels on the TRG are fixed in place.
    IMG_0372.JPG

TRG Ammo
    IMG_0447.JPG
    One highlight for me is the TRG Ammo from Beretta.

The TRG Precision ammunition features a 136gr Scenar L bullet which in my opinion is the perfect round for the 6.5CM. Many people chase bullet weight but the 136gr Lapua has the same BC as many of the heavier 140gr class bullets have. The benefit of the 136gr bullet is being slightly lighter you bring back speed. I feel the 6.5CM class of bullets work best around 2800fps or higher.

Running the Numbers
    IMG_0456.JPG

Running the bulletseeker on the TRG we had excellent numbers.

136gr Scenar L
    AVG Velocity : 2780fps
    SD: 14fps

IMG_0454.JPG

With the Hammer forged barrel we have a bit slower velocity, but I have documented that many times. However even with them being in the slower node of velocity, accuracy is first class. When zeroing the rifle my initial accuracy first look was very, very good.

PXL_20230314_181645594.jpg

Bottom group was my initial shots on paper after the bore sight. The 3 shot group at the the target was my zero group so very accuracy ammo.

I then went out, dope the rifle to distance, getting my weaponized math details.

IMG_0442.JPG

I then adding .2 mils over the 1000 yard dope and decided to whack a prairie dog on the range. I estimate it was around 1010 - 1015 yards, this was a second round impact on the animal. I quick ranged him, saw the splash in my reticle, adjusted and took him out with the next shot.

IMG_0451.JPG

I will have more to report, our weather is just being racket since our Cameo Class. Once the weather breaks I will be back out putting the TRG22A1 through its paces.

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

Frank,
    Is Sako offering a LH version? If so, are they available yet?
    Thanks!

What is the trigger pull weight range? I like the old TRG trigger a lot, I just wish it would reliably adjust to a lower weight.

Awesome write-up

Do you eat what you hunt or are you one of them there “trophy hunters”?

Awesome write-up

Do you eat what you hunt or are you one of them there “trophy hunters”?
    I am strictly a trophy guy in this case, we do have deer and pronghorn on the range, along with some yummy cows, which if you go to Fort Morgan Colorado, we are at Exit 80, two exits West is a Shell Gas Station. This is the best steak house in Fort Morgan it's awesome, and the baked potatoes are giant. The menu only has steak and salad on it, it's maybe 6"x 9"

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 3.57.44 PM.png

Sounds like a great place!

If you ever get to little Manhattan Montana, Sir Scott's Oasis has the best prime rib of the many steakhouses I've eaten in.

I had one in 6.5CM, too.
    The trigger is good as expected, the bolt is smooth (it’s coated), the M10 monopod works fine.
    Bolts/screws need to be loctited, always keep loosening.
    Magazines do not work with 6.5x47 and similar cartridges.

Attachments

• 97E3374C-2C82-4085-B0DB-BFC339F040A8.jpeg
      97E3374C-2C82-4085-B0DB-BFC339F040A8.jpeg
      510.7 KB · Views: 328
    • 92341768-1705-4697-89C8-BB39930D992C.jpeg
      92341768-1705-4697-89C8-BB39930D992C.jpeg
      692.3 KB · Views: 310
    • B98F9DC4-FFB8-4F22-B677-8BC334E3C2CB.jpeg
      B98F9DC4-FFB8-4F22-B677-8BC334E3C2CB.jpeg
      504.7 KB · Views: 360
    • 0C204EE1-697A-4D30-8C29-378C18B1F90C.jpeg
      0C204EE1-697A-4D30-8C29-378C18B1F90C.jpeg
      484.4 KB · Views: 273
    • 8DA9835B-69D2-4180-8E4B-9224FC62484E.jpeg
      8DA9835B-69D2-4180-8E4B-9224FC62484E.jpeg
      319.6 KB · Views: 281
    Last edited:
    An amazing rifle. Can't wait for more details of what you think of this beast. Can't wait to pick one of these up one day.

Went out again with the TRG22A1 (in-between our psychotic weather)

SHD_8418.jpg
    SHD_8425.jpg
    SHD_8401.jpg

Accuracy is effortless with the TRG ammo, I love the 136gr Scenar L

I was able to compare the ammo in my AI AT LE With custom Straight Jacket Barrel and even in that rifle, it's tops, well under 1/2 MOA.

Super comfortable to shoot, and will make you look like a rockstar at the range

Buttpad wiggle less than the folder on the non-A1?

Have you taken apart the forearm to see what's attached to barrel or if there is a barrel nut? Wondering how much work is involved in a rebarrel. The Tikka taca1 was a nightmare so curious if they used a similar design.

Reactions: zekers7
    Exposing my ignorance, but I have been looking at the TRG 22 on Sako's website and they list a standard TRG 22, and a TRG 22 M08. I've not been able to find additional details on the M08, either on their website or searching the web. I notice in your first post you state that the TRG 22A1 M10 is a quick change barrel system. Do you know if that is the case on the TRG 22 M08 as well?

Cool writeup, and some dang good looking shooting.

Reactions: The GIF-fer
    Isn’t M08 the Bipod not the rifle, the old version might have been a military M08 for them, now replaced with the A1, but the only M08 reference i currently see is the bipod.

I would just stick with the new models and not get creative with Wiki references. Euro Optic is the big SAKO dealer affiliated to this site, talk to Jason or one of the guys at Euro.

Exposing my ignorance, but I have been looking at the TRG 22 on Sako's website and they list a standard TRG 22, and a TRG 22 M08. I've not been able to find additional details on the M08, either on their website or searching the web. I notice in your first post you state that the TRG 22A1 M10 is a quick change barrel system. Do you know if that is the case on the TRG 22 M08 as well?

Cool writeup, and some dang good looking shooting.
    There might or might not be a TRG 22/42 M08 per se, other than minor differences. Any big change occurred 2013 (new trigger and butpad). The 21/41, 22/42 and 22/42 A1 are basically the same rifles (disregarding the stock).

There is no TRG-22 A1 M10. There is a TRG-22 A1, which is a TRG-22 barrel and action in a "M10" stock and the TRG M10.

The M10 is the first TRG with "factory supported" barrel swap capabilities.

@Lowlight
    Sorry to mangle your range report.
    Nice seeing you shooting the A1 and that it performs as it should.

The TRG Precision ammunition features a 136gr Scenar L bullet which in my opinion is the perfect round for the 6.5CM. Many people chase bullet weight but the 136gr Lapua has the same BC as many of the heavier 140gr class bullets have. The benefit of the 136gr bullet is being slightly lighter you bring back speed. I feel the 6.5CM class of bullets work best around 2800fps or higher.
    Do they use Lapua brass in that Sako ammo?

Reactions: jLorenzo
    had a trg42 was prob the only person that never felt comfortable on the original "green" stock

but bolt was smooth as silk and it shot insanely well

might be time to give sako another look

Green, Black and Tan! :)

had a trg42 was prob the only person that never felt comfortable on the original "green" stock

but bolt was smooth as silk and it shot insanely well

might be time to give sako another look

The original GRN / BLK / TAN Stocks have a thick feel to them, they were not comfortable for me either. The palm swell was too thick for my hands.

They are accurate, they are very good, and super smooth, but the TRG stock was thicker than the AI stock for me hence the move to AI personally even though I had the TRGs first

Reactions: matt33 and brianf
    The original GRN / BLK / TAN Stocks have a thick feel to them, they were not comfortable for me either. The palm swell was too thick for my hands.

They are accurate, they are very good, and super smooth, but the TRG stock was thicker than the AI stock for me hence the move to AI personally even though I had the TRGs first
    What rings (and height) go along so well with the S&B 5-20?

At a minimum any rings I am using today are a 1.3" at a minimum and generally opt for 1.5" in height

We have a ton of adjustability in our cheeks with our stocks, they go up very high. There is no reason to mount the scope super low to the rail. You want your head straight up, so a bit higher is more comfortable and easier in all positions

I want height, that old wives tale of mounting the scopes low was for hunting where they didn't dial elevation.

Anyone using the Sako Monopod? Just checked Beretta's web store if it's available there and could be had with one of their sale coupons that are out frequently. 50% would make it palatable.

Could use it on my M10's too.

At a minimum any rings I am using today are a 1.3" at a minimum and generally opt for 1.5" in height

We have a ton of adjustability in our cheeks with our stocks, they go up very high. There is no reason to mount the scope super low to the rail. You want your head straight up, so a bit higher is more comfortable and easier in all positions

I want height, that old wives tale of mounting the scopes low was for hunting where they didn't dial elevation.
    Aren't all those mil.spec ASR/etc flat-tops being built to spec for ± 1.5 rings for NV compatibility? That being said, the old school TRG would let you mount a Sphur right into the receiver (dovetails). . While PIC rail height-over-bore on the A1 is pretty high. The 1.5 sphur on the dovetails vs 1.5 spuhr on the PIC rail are not going to be the same height over bore axis. Might be ≈ .3 or .5 difference, whatever that high pic rail height is.

Yes,

For the military they generally want 1.5, it was 1.45 for a bit, but I think they rounded it up

I don't think you can switch to the dovetail in these configurations the hand guard would be in the way, you'd probably have to strip it out as the base is pretty tall

Anyone using the Sako Monopod? Just checked Beretta's web store if it's available there and could be had with one of their sale coupons that are out frequently. 50% would make it palatable.

Could use it on my M10's too.
    Not even listed. Eurooptic has it time to time.

Last edited:
    @Lowlight

Would you care to show/measure the grip differences between the three back straps, Frank? With the trigger adjusted back, a smaller grip could be make the TRG ergos just that last little bit better for me.

I had one in 6.5CM, too.
    The trigger is good as expected, the bolt is smooth (it’s coated), the M10 monopod works fine.
    Bolts/screws need to be loctited, always keep loosening.
    Magazines do not work with 6.5x47 and similar cartridges.
    As far as factory ammo, I remember that the original Sako barrel didn’t like the Hornady 140 ELD-M and Berger 140 hybrid. The best, consistent groups were with the Hornady 147 ELD-M.

Attachments

• EFDC0BD9-46A8-4DB3-910E-5447D311E2C7.jpeg
      EFDC0BD9-46A8-4DB3-910E-5447D311E2C7.jpeg
      229.3 KB · Views: 54
    Great review.

Would you take this over a new AI? The lack of the M10’s quick change barrel capability and more expensive magazines are a big hold up for me. Thoughts?

Reactions: JulianD