• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Years Resolution builds.

TriggerReed357

Trigger Man
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2018
So it’s quite coherent for us all that the New Year means building some badass freedom. What are your new year resolution precision builds for 2019? At the moment I’m stuck between a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 6.5 with a Vortex Razor HD gen 2, a Barret 98B in .308 with a Razor HD gen 2, or a Remington 700 on a KRG whiskey 3 gen 6 chassis with a Night Force NXS in 6.5. I keep veering away from the Tikka and Barrett simply because there is no building required and there is something about the hands on build that is more satisfying for me. I’m open to suggestions and to see what others are building. My budget is 5k on this one. Thoughts

With a budget of $5k, please don’t go with a factory rem 700 in a chassis. That isn’t really a “build” either and you’ll wish you had gone with the Tikka after running the bolt.

If you want to be hands-on, get a nice action (Nucleus, Origin, etc), get a prefit Barrel from PVA, pick a trigger, then get a Chassis/stock of your choice.

I have an Origin that MHSA is about to fit a barrel to for me. Trying out an XLR Envy and a trigger-tech trigger. Hopefully my TBAC can be released to be soon, as I’ve been waiting since early 2018.

With a budget of $5k, please don’t go with a factory rem 700 in a chassis. That isn’t really a “build” either and you’ll wish you had gone with the Tikka after running the bolt.

If you want to be hands-on, get a nice action (Nucleus, Origin, etc), get a prefit Barrel from PVA, pick a trigger, then get a Chassis/stock of your choice.
Solid advice. And yes a hate the stock Remington bolt it is complete trash. I also looked into the Tikka CTR tactical compact as a donor rifle and just scraping the whole thought of the Remington build. The stock Tikka is punching sub groups without a lot of work to it. The other notion since my wife allocated me 5k only is the base scar 20s (not really precision but looks bad ass) for 4K and a run a cheaper Leupold.

Tikkas are great out of the box (Barrel, trigger, etc) and there are numerous chassis available now. That’s a good way to go if you are looking to put something together quickly.

Tikka is always the answer to the tikka vs factory Rem700 question.

Reactions: TriggerReed357
375 Snipe Tac with a Stiller 408 TAC action, Bartlein 1:7 36" bbl, Cadex Dual Strike, and MOAB brake. Probably go with a ATACR 7-35 F1 or just use the 5-25 I have sitting in the safe. Action, chassis and barrel sittting in boxed and just waiting for JGS to finish reamer.

I used to think a lot about custom builds but I haven't much since buying my AIAT a few months ago. I should have a Vudoo Ravage build being finished up in the next few weeks if all goes well though. My main purchase coming up will be a Barrett Fieldcraft rifle to use as a lightweight hunting rifle, maybe with a Vortex Razor HD LH scope and TBAC Ultra-7 it'll end up around 7-8 pounds.

Other than that, I'll probably be changing the stock out on my Mausingfield build to reduce the weight and make it a mid-weight hunting rifle with a goal weight of around 12-13 pounds.

Edit: Just got word from Vudoo that my Ravage should be done within 1-2 weeks. Love to hear good news.

Last edited:
Currently I use a AI AT sporting a Nightforce ATACR. My new-ness comes in the form of a different barrel. I just got a 6mm Creddmoor barrel for it and am in the process of developing a load.

Currently I use a AI AT sporting a Nightforce ATACR. My new-ness comes in the form of a different barrel. I just got a 6mm Creddmoor barrel for it and am in the process of developing a load.
Definitely interested in the load you build 6mm loads are rare I couldn’t find any for my wife’s RPR this fall

Last edited:
Define you interest in the load you build 6mm loads are rare I couldn’t find any for my wife’s RPR this fall
I'm starting out with the Sierra 107 hr Matchking and found a Sierra load data online for the 6mm Creedmoor. I also found a YouTube video of a guy working up a load for this using this bullet and H4350. So that's what I'm starting with. 40.9 gr to 42.1 gr in 0.3 hr steps.

Then I'm going to try the Berger 105 Hybrid.

Gotta finish my build. It's been on my plate for a couple years, but I'm really close right now...

Nucleus
ARC Rings
Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50
Bell and Carlson M40 stock that I've done some custom work to
Stiller DBM
ARC Barloc
X-Caliber barrel, 25x47 Lapua, Savage Varmint contour, 23"

Just waiting on a reamer so I can send the barrel out.

Possible upgrades in 2019 include bedding the recoil lug and prototyping a DBM of my own design (3D printing first and then looking into machined options).

3 for the children builds (almost):

1 .223/300blk switch barrel build built around the manners compact stock

2. . 22lr vudu action mcs-cs

3. Suppressed .22 pistol

My ears ring and hopefully my kids won’t.

Not exactly a snipers hide style rifle but my next one will be:
Cerus Rifleworks Stock
Borden BRMXD Action
Couple Brux Barrels in 6 BRA and 284 Win
Bix'n Andy Benchrest Trigger
Although this is more like a start saving in 2019 and get it finished in 2022 situation.

I’m gathering bits for my build. Might as well spill the beans:

Bighorn Origin
TriggerTech Primary
20” Carbon Proof (in process)
KRG Whiskey 3 Folder

Haven’t sorted an optic, but most likely something like a Sig Tango in 3-18ish.

I used to think a lot about custom builds but I haven't much since buying my AIAT a few months ago. I should have a Vudoo Ravage build being finished up in the next few weeks if all goes well though. My main purchase coming up will be a Barrett Fieldcraft rifle to use as a lightweight hunting rifle, maybe with a Vortex Razor HD LH scope and TBAC Ultra-7 it'll end up around 7-8 pounds.

Other than that, I'll probably be changing the stock out on my Mausingfield build to reduce the weight and make it a mid-weight hunting rifle with a goal weight of around 12-13 pounds.
Barrett quality is superb I really want a 98B to build on. The bolt on the 98B is so smooth and the overall rifle is super light.

375 Snipe Tac with a Stiller 408 TAC action, Bartlein 1:7 36" bbl, Cadex Dual Strike, and MOAB brake. Probably go with a ATACR 7-35 F1 or just use the 5-25 I have sitting in the safe. Action, chassis and barrel sittting in boxed and just waiting for JGS to finish reamer.
That MF will be a sexy nasty beast ?

To satisfy the wife, NO builds for 2019 . But you'd better believe I'm squireling $ away for 1 Jan 2020 . Shorty 338 Norma on a Badger M2013, Manners C.F. EH1 ,Proof C.F. barrel and a TBAC 338 Ultra that's in jail as we speak.

Why a Badger? I've always wanted one .

I went with the origin, itll take me some time but i think ill be happy with how it turns out. And I can always upgrade and change things as I see fit.

As of now the plan is:
KRG bravo
Trigger tech primary
Keystone 6.5cm barrel
Topped with a donor scope

My goal is a hunting, tactical style rifle. Kind of opposite of the current trend of heavy rifles.

Tikka T-3 (gen 1) action (from an original CTR in 260).
KRG Bravo chassis
Carbon 6 24” barrel in 6.5CM
KRG Midas two stage trigger
Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18x
ARC M-10 rings

The scope may get swapped for another Leupold Mk 5 or Burris XTR III, depending on availability of a Christmas tree reticle.

This will be my deer hunting rig.

Mine should be here right after the turn of the new year.

T3X action
Proof stainless (6.5CM)
Manners T4A
ARC M-10's
DMR II

My resolution is to not put any more rifles together,we’ll see how that goes though.
Good luck with that brother lol. I bet $1 he cracks and starts building in February any takers .....
62D2E63D-47F4-485A-8EDB-8BDC151B20FD.gif

Reactions: jordan0317
My goal is a hunting, tactical style rifle. Kind of opposite of the current trend of heavy rifles.

Tikka T-3 (gen 1) action (from an original CTR in 260).
KRG Bravo chassis
Carbon 6 24” barrel in 6.5CM
KRG Midas two stage trigger
Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18x
ARC M-10 rings

The scope may get swapped for another Leupold Mk 5 or Burris XTR III, depending on availability of a Christmas tree reticle.

This will be my deer hunting rig.
Why the Burris? I have been contemplating a Burris for months but can’t see myself using one over a Leupold, Nightforce or vortex is Burris a true contender? I have never owned one

Why the Burris? I have been contemplating a Burris for months but can’t see myself using one over a Leupold, Nightforce or vortex is Burris a true contender? I have never owned one

The XTR III is their newest model that will be dropping for most people at SHOT 2019. We've had some insider information here on the Hide and it seems like it's going to be very competitive at its price point. Lots of upgrades over the XTR II

So it’s quite coherent for us all that the New Year means building some badass freedom. What are your new year resolution precision builds for 2019? At the moment I’m stuck between a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 6.5 with a Vortex Razor HD gen 2, a Barret 98B in .308 with a Razor HD gen 2, or a Remington 700 on a KRG whiskey 3 gen 6 chassis with a Night Force NXS in 6.5. I keep veering away from the Tikka and Barrett simply because there is no building required and there is something about the hands on build that is more satisfying for me. I’m open to suggestions and to see what others are building. My budget is 5k on this one. Thoughts

I agree completely with that budget you could do a whole lot more. Tons of options. Another route you could go would be to give Alamo Precision a call, and talk to them about a custom build. I’ve not personally used one of their rifles, but know several that have with excellent results.

I agree completely with that budget you could do a whole lot more. Tons of options. Another route you could go would be to give Alamo Precision a call, and talk to them about a custom build. I’ve not personally used one of their rifles, but know several that have with excellent results.
Damn bro good look! Just checked them out online I'm very impressed. I will be calling them today at 10. That APR Ranger with the ratchet fluting gave me a hardon. I may have to sacrifice to a budget NF but this thing is super sexy.

Attachments

• SHOP0241.jpg
    SHOP0241.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: DaleGribble82
Something told me that APR Ranger would give you a woody.
Man and for the price its a lot cheaper than buying the manner stock separate, fluted bolt, custom action and ratchet fluting. On top of that they guarantee Sub MOA. If I cut corners and run a Harris that's about $100 compared to $300 for an atlas (which I could still upgrade next year and shave off my future builds). It still leaves me 2k or more for rings, optic and a drag bag. Since I keep buying guns every other month, I will probably never afford an SB but good thing NF, Leupold and vortex offers some good glass at budget prices. Most of my builds become safe Queens and during deer season we all show up to camp to show off our new builds and brag and talk crap. So I think this one will definitely hurt some feelings next deer season. lol

Man and for the price its a lot cheaper than buying the manner stock separate, fluted bolt, custom action and ratchet fluting. On top of that they guarantee Sub MOA. If I cut corners and run a Harris that's about $100 compared to $300 for an atlas (which I could still upgrade next year and shave off my future builds). It still leaves me 2k or more for rings, optic and a drag bag. Since I keep buying guns every other month, I will probably never afford an SB but good thing NF, Leupold and vortex offers some good glass at budget prices. Most of my builds become safe Queens and during deer season we all show up to camp to show off our new builds and brag and talk crap. So I think this one will definitely hurt some feelings next deer season. lol

Are you signed up for the Leupold VIP program?

I'm thinking of doing this:
  • Alamo Precision G2
  • Criterion Savage Prefit Barrel 22" Varmint Contour
  • Geissele Super 700 Trigger
  • Grayboe Ridgeback or Taylor Precision Renegade
Then top it with the $750 Viper Gen II PSTs I just picked up from Midway. Hoping to get away only spending about $3k

I'm starting out with the Sierra 107 hr Matchking and found a Sierra load data online for the 6mm Creedmoor. I also found a YouTube video of a guy working up a load for this using this bullet and H4350. So that's what I'm starting with. 40.9 gr to 42.1 gr in 0.3 hr steps.

Then I'm going to try the Berger 105 Hybrid.
Same exact here and it is a laser. Check out my thread of the workup. Updating today.

I know what I'd like, but haven't had the time to research components yet to see if it would even be possible. I'd like to do a multi caliber set up utilizing the Hornady 300 PRC then do a switchback to 6.5 Creedmoor.

My goal is actually not to make another build ?

I just joined the AI club (AT), and love it. I’m building a .223/.224 Valkyrie switch setup on a Curtis Vector because AI won’t run it. Otherwise I’d only have the AI.

I went down a ridiculous rabbit hole in 2018 and burned through most every brand of custom action and optic.

My goal this year is to just shoot these two setups (6creed/.308 AI and 223/224 vector) and burn through as many barrels and matches as possible.

I just want to borrow everyone's rifle with their scope for a few weeks and see which custom action and scope I like best!

Might even consider paying shipping, lol.

The entitlement attitude is strong here.

I just want to borrow everyone's rifle with their scope for a few weeks and see which custom action and scope I like best!

Might even consider paying shipping, lol.

The entitlement attitude is strong here.

Entitlement? I'm not sure I follow...

I wanted a custom rifle so it could be something that would last me my entire life. I've been slowly building it over the last two years off of funds I've worked my ass off for. I'm sure many guys share the experience I've had.

There's no heated attitude meant by my post, I'm just a little confused is all...

Entitlement? I'm not sure I follow...

I wanted a custom rifle so it could be something that would last me my entire life. I've been slowly building it over the last two years off of funds I've worked my ass off for. I'm sure many guys share the experience I've had.

There's no heated attitude meant by my post, I'm just a little confused is all...

Oh, no I didn't mean to assert anything to anyone in this thread. I was kidding about my self imposed entitlement issues in this thread, lol.

But if someone wants to send me their rifle I'm all in, lol.

This year I'll finish my DARPA XM3. My stock should be arriving April-May. In the meantime I just need to track down a donor action.

I know what I'd like, but haven't had the time to research components yet to see if it would even be possible. I'd like to do a multi caliber set up utilizing the Hornady 300 PRC then do a switchback to 6.5 Creedmoor.

I had similar thoughts but with different calibers. It's definitely doable with any LA that has switchable bolt heads. I've had thoughts of selling and rebuilding once I killed the barrel on my TL3 SA to build a TL3 LA with a Proof 28 Nosler barrel for hunting/ELR and a 6.5x55AI barrel as the main blaster. I'd love to build more guns but getting optics for each different gun makes my stomach and wallet churn.