• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Newbie New Buid Model 7 Action or Model 700?

DadEO

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
Conyers Georgia USA
I want to build a 7mm SAUM for 0 to 1000 yard target shooting. Should I stick with the 700 short actions or could I use a Model 7 action? If I go with Model 7, will I run into option problems? I am new to the sport and this would be my first build. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Re: Newbie New Buid Model 7 Action or Model 700?

A Remington model 700 is probably the better way to go. There's considerably more options available to you and it's a receiver that 9/10 gunsmiths is comfortable working with.

Thanks for all the input It looks like i will go with the 700. Now where can i get a model 700 to start with?

Thanks for all the input It looks like i will go with the 700. Now where can i get a model 700 to start with?

Put up a post in the WTB section. I'm sure somebody on here has one that they would be willing to let go.

look around for a cheap Rem 700. Depending on where you are from there are local forums, pawn shops, etc. for you to search. You should be looking to spend around $350-$450 for a used to newer Rem 700 short action.