• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbie Question - Why can't I tell the difference?

Markp

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Yes, I am a newbie, so perhaps you all will take some mercy on my soul with my first post... I have 5 scopes here, and really I can't tell the difference in quality in any gross manner from one to another.

The scopes:
1. BSA TMD624x44-30SP - $149
2. Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy - $149
3. TASCO 3-9x40 Mil Dot - $59
4. TASCO VAR624x42M - $119
5. Nikon Monarch 4-16xSF M BDC - $449

I feel like a moron not being able to look through a $60 Tasco 3-9x40 at 8 power and a $450 Nikon 4-16x42 at 8 power and not being able to see an appreciable difference between the these scopes beyond the different reticles.

Mark

Re: Newbie Question - Why can't I tell the difference?

I had a tasco var 6-24 and have used a nikon monarch 5-20. I couldn't tell any difference in the quality. Niether one could be used on the highest power and be clear.The vx3 8.5 -25 I have is noticably better, but the 5.5-22 I have looked thru is better by a small margin than the leupy

don't forget, there's also probably a difference in build quality too, not just the glass. like turrets, abuse factor, recoil factor (my friends bushnell--cheapie) broke from the recoil after 20 shots. As far as glass goes, try changing the diopter for your eye, so the reticle is sharp, then try looking at something 200 yds and see if the picture is blurry or can't get into focus. I think that sometimes is a good test of glass quality, not always though.
Also, how good is it at a lowlight (like dusk) situation. stuff like that. I'm no expert either, just kinda learned as i went with the scope i've owned in that past.

Just looking through them won't tell you much.

Try reading an eye chart at 100 yards with them.

Outwardly they may seem alike, but the resolution ability is probably different.

Also try them at dusk/dawn in failing light.

Thanks for the input... I'll have to wait for the light to fade to check them side by side... I was looking at targets at about 150 yards according to my range finder and all were clear and sharp mid-day. All of them have achieved what I consider sharp focus, can read letters on street signs with no gross distortion on the edges at 8 power (which all of these scopes do). As far as smaller letters, at 150 yards, I was able to make out the script on a Ford emblem with little difficulty even with the $60 Tasco.

I am concerned with abuse factor on my .308/7.62x54R rifles, but I don't see my .223 based rifles having enough kick to abuse a scope... Is that in line with everyone else's thinking, or am I dead wrong? I'm not trying to cheap out on optics but I'd like to know what I am not seeing. Thanks again for the advice.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Markp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am concerned with abuse factor on my .308/7.62x54R rifles, but I don't see my .223 based rifles having enough kick to abuse a scope... Is that in line with everyone else's thinking, or am I dead wrong? I'm not trying to cheap out on optics but I'd like to know what I am not seeing. Thanks again for the advice.

Mark</div></div>

you'd be suprised of the harmonic vibration a 223 sends through a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you'd be suprised of the harmonic vibration a 223 sends through a scope. </div></div>

Any caliber can wreak havoc on optics (especially sub-par optics)...this is even more the case if your ".223 based rifles" are AR-15s or other semi-auto rifles which exert a whole new set of forces on a scope just by the nature of the cycling of the bolt/carrier, etc.

As others have pointed out sturdiness of manufacturing of the scope is important, and low light transmission is a major factor of optics quality.

Optical aberrations due to quality of glass and grinding/polishing are another. Precision and repeatability of adjustments also varies..

All scopes look good in Walmart. Its how well they do a few months down the road or after you drop it.

Some low end scopes fail quickly or in lowlight conditions.

There must be a ton of bandwidth praising and slamming most scope you mentioned.

Happy Hunting

Start to read every thread in this section.. you will soon understand. And if you get to page 20 and still don't understand the differences, it probably won't matter to you and you should just get the $60 optic.

What is your budget and main use of your rifle and range? Being new, I'm guessing money is a factor. If so, spend about $200 and get a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x fixed power. It is clear and being fixed power it has less parts to break. Or step it up to a Vortex Viper or SWFA Super Sniper in the variable market.

If you want to shoot accurate, get a good optic, base and rings. If you don't want to do that, then get iron sights.

Like fdkay says looking through them is not good enough. I decided to give the eye chart a try. Put I put it 500 yards away. The Nightforce was crystal clear on 12X while another midpriced brand needed about 16X to see the same detail.

Also the Nightforce is better at dusk.

Yes, tonight (well this evening before the sun completely went away) it became painfully obvious that the Nikon had a much better glass, and that the others (especially the $60 tasco and Bushnell) had problems with the reticals showing detail, where surprisingly the BSA and the Nikon were still showing the mil dots and BDC very clearly. It was in the low light that it became painfully obvious what the difference was. I was really surprised that the BSA (a cheap scope by any measure) held up better than the Bushnell.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Actually, I do hope to buy some very nice scopes in the future and decided that if I was going to get serious about shooting any real distances, I should come here and learn from those who know. It's cheaper than learning the hard way.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Markp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
decided that if I was going to get serious about shooting any real distances, I should come here and learn from those who know. It's cheaper than learning the hard way.
Mark</div></div>

We've all been there.. you're off to a good start by being here and reading.

I've had two bsa scopes fail on my 17hmr. I can tell you first hand cheap or not i won't waste my money on bsa again.

WOW, I would have never expected a scope to fail with such a lightweight round... I mean I can understand where cheap scopes take a pounding with something like .338 Lapua or even a non magnum cartridge like 7.62x54R or 8mm... but to hear that these fail on smaller cartridges like .17 HMR or .22 Mag, that's just disheartening.

Amazing that our eyes put up with the recoil.
smile.gif

Mark

what platform are you shooting them with?

I have a boatload of rifles... However to keep it simple, I have some bolt action guns (.223, .30-06, 7.62x54R, 8mm), same goes for semi-auto except I have some 7.62x51 and .308 guns in addition to all the other calibers.

I am thinking that I am pretty sure want to scope my Springfield M1A, AR-15, HK SL-8, and maybe the wife's CZ-527 (.223) at a minimum, but getting decent scopes just for these 4 rifles will likely set me back quite a bit it sounds like. That's more than enough to keep me busy. If I had to pick one, I am thinking that I would start with my AR-15, it has the most potential for distance (it has the heavier profile barrel.)

Mark

Look through the scopes when it is getting dark. It will be easier to tell the difference. Some of your scopes will be impossible to use while others will still allow you to view the target.

I had the Tasco 6-24X44 Varmint on my Ruger SR 556 (5.56X45). I originally had a an ACOG TA31F but wanted to see how much more accurate I would be with more magnification. Since i didn't want to spend a great deal more already having the ACOG I bought the Tasco. I boresighted it first then took it to the range for final zero and some 100 yard shooting. After 5 shoots to finalize zero I began shooting for groups. The tasco lasted 15 shots before the zero wandered 8" high and 8" left. Tried to rezero same story. Long story short, returned scope to Lexana, KS (Bushnell does the servicing) and got a new Tasco scope. Essentially the same story again. Called Bushnell the offered me an upgrade to the 3200 Elite for a very small sum. I took their offer. The ACOG is back on my SR 556 and the 3200 is on my SIG 522.
As others have said the cheap scopes just don't hold up and the Tasco also became much darker as the power went to 24X and the resolution sucked. Follow the advise of the other posters and get a quality scope and avoid a lot of headaches.