• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hi All,
I'm looking for a second rifle suppressor, preferably 30 cal for both 556 and up to 308 use, with a plan to use for PRS and field matches, and wanted to get the braintrust's recommendations:

My priorities are:
1. Least effect upon accuracy
2. Low back pressure for use on my 556 ar-15
3. Suppression
4. Decreased recoil
5. Size/weight
6. Modular muzzle connection (1.375”-24tpi system)

I currently have a rugged radiant 7.62 and I have a number of their muzzle devices compatible with their proprietary dual taper lock. I often run it in its short configuration with a "muzzle brake front cap" from Liberty Suppressors which just happens to be cross-compatible. Unfortunately, rugged suppressors tend to underperform on the PewScience ratings.

My top considerations in order are:
1. Nomad 30 Ti with E-Brake end cap
2. KGM 30 with APEC system open
3. Liberty Anthem S
4. Rugged Alaska 360 with Liberty muzzle brake front cap
5. AB Suppressor Raptor 8 baffle with 3" reflex
6. Helios QD with vented end cap

NameLength
(in)
Length With Brake (in)Diameter (in)Weight (oz)BrakePewScience dB (or expected)Pew for Length (db/in)Pew for volume (db/$)Cost w/ Stamp ($)Cost to use with rugged mounts ($)Pew per dollar (dB/$)
Nomad 30 Ti with E-Brake6.57.51.7359.70Y41.56.42.71319156938
Nomad 30 with E-Brake6.57.51.73514.50Y41.56.42.71129137933
KGM 307.57.51.813.90APEC39.95.32.21200145036
Helios QD6.56.51.819.00No44.56.82.81400165042
Rugged Alaska 3607.58.51.611.80Yes324.32.11129112935
Liberty Anthem S6.56.51.716.00No45.372.9950120026
AB Raptor 86.56.51.612.75No426.53.11030128030

+2.4 oz for all suppressor weights for the Rugged Universal Mount adapter.

I excluded TBAC cans and the Area 419 because although they have a great pedigree, they tend to have a $400-700 premium over the competition.

Thanks for your input!

I have a nomad ti I like it fine but I’m about to buy either kgm 30 or tbac u7. The nomad ti sounds good no issues with it. I think I would go with Kgm if you’re wanting the ports instead of adding an ebrake.

Reactions: bonesaw00001
Ditch all those options and get a can from ECCO Machine.

Nick rebuilds stuff that is complete trash into something magical.

He reworked a buddies D-Cell 1999 trash can into a svelte muffler and it outperforms the nomad30 all day.

Seriously, just search out “ECCO Machine recore” everyone who’s had a recore is beyond impressed.

Reactions: Odindad

He reworked a buddies D-Cell 1999 trash can into a svelte muffler and it outperforms the nomad30 all day.

Seriously, just search out “ECCO Machine recore” everyone who’s had a recore is beyond impressed.

Appreciate the advice! Honestly, I'm a little hesitant to recore my only current suppressor without some validated testing to show that it's an improvement. Good to know that's an option as well as the option to change the mounting system (I was sad to find out I was stuck with the proprietary rugged mounts for my radiant).

Just get the TBAC and cry once.

I don't know; looking at decibels from an independent tester (pewscience below), the Anthem S is 2.5" shorter than a TBAC Ultra 9 and has the same suppression at a significantly lower cost. The TBAC Ultra 9 review is from 2020 so might be their Gen 1 model, but I don't necessarily see the benefit for going TBAC.

Why would you suggest going with them?

1675902685605.png

In no particular order...

Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 7.62, Dead Air Nomad-LT, TBAC Magnus, CGS Hyperion, Diligent Enticer L-Ti...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I would highly recommend giving the Otter Creek Hydrogen-L a shot... It's just downright impressive for it's size and weight (as you can see from Jay's results).

Tagging in to follow along. I've been considering a dedicated 30 cal can for my bolt guns in 243, 308 and 300winmag. Was thinking tbac or kgm. Currently have an early SiCo omega.

I think you are on the right track with the Nomad and KGM. Have both and like both a LOT. The AB is also a great can I just see it as a different category - more for hunting in my mind. I would go with the Nomad unless I wanted to use the ports on the KGM for tuning.

I bought the AB Warthog 7, but haven’t got the Form 4 approved, yet. The Raptor is pretty impressive - just too much money compared to the Warthogs (plus, I like the universal mount).

Nomad L and cgs Hyperion owner. Have no idea why people want a tbac over the dead air. I couldn’t ask for any more from a supressor than my nomad L with e brake and area419 mounting system.

Reactions: 7mMike
I don't know; looking at decibels from an independent tester (pewscience below), the Anthem S is 2.5" shorter than a TBAC Ultra 9 and has the same suppression at a significantly lower cost. The TBAC Ultra 9 review is from 2020 so might be their Gen 1 model, but I don't necessarily see the benefit for going TBAC.

Why would you suggest going with them?

View attachment 8070524
The TBAC you’re referencing (which no one would recommend for AR use) is like 4.5oz lighter than the Liberty. Hell, it’s 8oz lighter than the aforementioned Nomad L and 2.5oz lighter than an LTI. I don’t understand how people can compare suppressors without including weight.

Say what you will about the cost, they have a reputation for durability, repeatability, and performance for the weight.

More on topic, I’d probably get the KGM if using OP’s list.

I absolutely love my Nomad Ti. I have a Nomad L that I am not so patiently waiting to get the stamp on and expecting it any day now. I also just bought another Nomad Ti-L that I should certify tomorrow. Fantastic cans.

Reactions: FuhQ
The Abel Company stuff is interesting
More and more people are getting our stuff in their hands. Frank just got our Theorem with multiple exit caps and should be doing some videos here soon.

I shot the theorem-L in the first NRL hunter match of the season and finished 3rd overall.

I think our 7” theorem would work great for what the OP is looking for.

We’ll be sending them to Jay but he’s a bit backed up right now so not sure when he will get to our stuff.

For anyone coming to my NRL Hunter match in the beginning of March, I’m doing a loaner program so you can shoot the whole match with one of our theorems, try before you buy.

I think the Dominus is the best all around can out there. Personally I like the SR mount (the only mount really made for a precision rifle I know of) but it does come in HUB now

I used Yankee Hill Machine Titanium Q.D. Phantoms in .30 cal on everything from .300 Win Mag to .223 and I am glad I went with the .30 cal.
About 10 years ago, I 1st bought 3 cans at once, so I got the SS Phantom 30 cal to save $$$. A few years later, I bought a Ti Phantom. I haven't regretted either purchase, but that SS Phantom is a heavy sumbitch!!

I generally use the SS on heavy barreled guns, and the Ti on lighter ones. Accuracy hasn't suffered a bit with either. I've only used a few other cans that buddies own, but I wouldn't put any of them above my Phantoms.

I love my Rex silentium mg7k. Smaller, lighter, repeatable and sounds the same as my omega 300. Worked the same with direct thread and the area 419 system.

They are so affordable and effective, that I probably won’t get any other brand going forward. Affordable enough to dedicate to rifles.

I recently used my Abel Co Biscuit at a PRS match and loved it.

Love the recoil impulse, it's more like a brake than a traditional suppressor so it's quick to get back on target.

With the Rearden system POI is extremely consistent. I removed the suppressor each day after the match for travel purposes, and zero never changed. This has been consistent with my many range trips with this suppressor as well.

Precision is excellent with this suppressor. No degradation in precision at all.

It's a smaller suppressor, so suppression won't be like a larger volume can. It's still very pleasant to shoot, and you'll need to wear hearing pro anyways shooting suppressed, especially if you are at a PRS match where 90+% of shooters are using muzzle brakes. Sounds similar in suppression to my wife's Omega to provide a reference.

It's 17-4 stainless, so not the lightest suppressor. However if matches where you are shooting your 25+lb 6mm is your main objective, then I don't see the weight being a concern. Maybe even a benefit :p

Also works great on ar-15's. I use it on my KAC SR15 occasionally. It seems to be less back pressure than my wife's Omega on the same rifle, much less gas out of the ejection port. I believe this suppressor was designed to be used on precision bolt guns while maintaining the flexibility of working well on gas guns.

I think the Dominus is the best all around can out there. Personally I like the SR mount (the only mount really made for a precision rifle I know of) but it does come in HUB now

This but I chose CB.

How come you rarely hear anything about Ecco Machine's suppressors? I searched and their are only a few posts mentioning them. I checked out their website and they manufacture several suppressors that look to be good performers. And their prices are pretty reasonable compared to the competition.

How come you rarely hear anything about Ecco Machine's suppressors? I searched and their are only a few posts mentioning them. I checked out their website and they manufacture several suppressors that look to be good performers. And their prices are pretty reasonable compared to the competition.
Idk. I need to fix his marketing. Seriously

ECCO just recored and mount converted a Surefire 762 mini for me. It is noticeably more quiet and physically lighter. It was my first suppressor and never got used much because it was so loud. I highly recommend their work.

I have a banish 30. I like it fine but I ordered a TBAC ultra 7 because I wanted the best. The banish 30 does well for what I do which is just mountain hunting here in AK. I’ve never even used it in the 9” setup, just 7” and it seems pretty good but the numbers don’t lie. TBAC is a better product.

No personal experience, but the Otter Creek guys really like the LPM cans, and speak very highly of them. 👍🏼

Definitely excited for mine, I'll follow up with you guys when I do. Here's a peak inside, pretty interesting. I know there is some coaxial element I can't see from the outside, presumably skirt ports like the Q and Sig cans. They also have a variable geometry on the baffle clips down the can not too different from how ports on a brake are different down the line, pretty cool.
20230131_150430.jpg

Love the idea of the energetic armament ID Ring and wrench flats on the body. All cans should do this. Excuse the finish, it was a cold day and the moisture from my hands is on the can, it's not its finish.

20230131_150423.jpg

Last edited:
Got a great deal on a KGM R30, so I'm going to go with them for the time being. Thanks for everyone's input and advice, and will give some feedback in 9-12 months when my can gets out of jail!

I’d go CGS.
Looked into them after seeing your post. They look and sound good but every can they makes is on backorder. Shot them an email as to future availability and I've gotten no reply.

I have a CGS Hyperion waiting for approval. Definitely recommend looking into CGS.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Looked into them after seeing your post. They look and sound good but every can they makes is on backorder. Shot them an email as to future availability and I've gotten no reply.
Check for local dealers and call them to see what they have in stock maybe? My local store usually has a good selection.

Look into the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen series suppressors. They can be found in stock for under $1,000 typically. I have 3 of them, they’re excellent cans. I have an L and an S in 7.62, and an S in 6.5mm. Good tone, extremely quiet, solid built, minimal & repeatable POI shift, and a great company.

Look into the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen series suppressors. They can be found in stock for under $1,000 typically. I have 3 of them, they’re excellent cans. I have an L and an S in 7.62, and an S in 6.5mm. Good tone, extremely quiet, solid built, minimal & repeatable POI shift, and a great company.
I'll check them out. Looking at the nomad LT also. Has the ability to use SiCo mounts, which I already have. Although, 90% of the time I intend to run this one direct thread. Mostly on a 300winmag.

I'll check them out. Looking at the nomad LT also. Has the ability to use SiCo mounts, which I already have. Although, 90% of the time I intend to run this one direct thread. Mostly on a 300winmag.
Yeah, I bought a Nomad-LT back in December 2020 on the day they dropped to the public. It's a great can, it lives on one of my main hunting rifles. My initial testing showed that performance with the Hydrogen-L and Nomad-LT is nearly a wash. And the Pew Science charts confirmed my results, after Jay finally tested the Hydro-L and posted the results. Both use 1.375x24 HUB threads, so you can use whatever mounts you want.

I use my Hydrogen-L on my long-action cartridges and magnums, and it sounds great.

IMG_6266.jpg

Reactions: XP1K