• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Next Generation Squad Weapon: Automatic Rifle | Shooting, Field Strip, and Performance | Textron

Pictures of the ammo?
this might be it.

6point8mm-composite-cartridge-1200.jpg

Reactions: Jscb1b
that looks fun now I want one too . lol loved the video thanks

Reactions: theLBC
Damn! I want to know what is the projectile? Hardened steel/AP core?
What is the propellent? Chamber pressure?
velocity?

That’s friggin’ cool!

this might be it.

No, that's not it. That machine gun was shooting the 6.8 CT from Textron Systems, it looks like the below but they also make 5.56 and 7.62 versions also.

1613956446719.png

This is part of the NGSW trials so there's probably not going to be a lot of information publicly available about the specifics of ballistic performance.

Reactions: theLBC
This was the secret project my son worked on. His was another design that wasn't chosen for the finals. It was very interesting to hear about the project and what they had to do just to be considered for this project. I don't think the suppressor was part of the project, so maybe that's not part of the competition.

Do they say the weight saving of the cartridge & gun?

It is an energy weapon: chemical deflagration with gas release & projectile energetically down range.

now particle beam energy weapons...phasers? Sonic disruptors and infamous phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range!

Cool platform, but what about barrel changes? A quick search put the 6.8 barrel life at 3000 rounds. I know in a light machine gun accuracy is not the most important aspect. But what about service life.

weight savings aside, barrel replacement is needed more, another round to the stable which could lead to logistics issues, and the caseless ammo is prone to environmental issues. not really a fan yet

IMHO - in the NGSW Rifle - SIG is the design worth winning the contract. Their ammo is cost effective and delivers the velocity/pressure in the spec without reinventing the wheel. The platform is less of a radical departure from the norm (less moving parts) and clearly looks like an easier weapon for manual of arms training due to its legacy controls layout..

Last edited:
Reactions: Red343
IMHO - in the NGSW Rifle - SIG is the design worth winning the contract. Their ammo is cost effective and delivers the velocity/pressure in the spec without reinventing the wheel. The platform is less of a radical departure from the norm (less moving parts) and clearly looks like an easier weapon for manual of arms training due to its legacy controls layout..

I think I agree but for the main reason that Sig is the new Remington and in bed with the Pentagon. How else does Sig win EVERY contract?

1. No way the bullpup will win. No bullpup has ever won.

2. Textron rifle requires batteries to work IIRC. That's a no-go. There are other issues but I forget what they were.

3. The Sig is just an oversize MCX. Least amount of new shit to get used to. No batteries. The round looks promising too. It's also not as big or bulky looking as the other two. The Textron RIFLE is the one I like the least, I'd rather have the GD bullpup. That SAW is pretty nice though.

AND Sig also already won the contract for the new MG I think, it fires .338NM. They will select a new SAW I imagine but it's gonna use the same ammo as the new rifle.

weight savings aside, barrel replacement is needed more, another round to the stable which could lead to logistics issues, and the caseless ammo is prone to environmental issues. not really a fan yet
It's for infantry only so the POGs won't have to worry about that, they're getting all the old shit. If anything we had too much ammo and never had a problem getting it. And we're moving away from barrel swaps on SAWs --fact is it just doesn't really happen that often in the wild. They just get shot out and replaced.

I do think that removable chamber is the titties though. And that operating system? Shit. I'd loved to have had that thing.

They all fire a 6.8mm round with a penetrator supposedly capable of penetrating existing plates. I suspect it's a hot version of the 6.8Western with a penetrator and smaller, lighter case. High BC, better cross sectional density and same weight as typical 7.62 bullet. Wanna say it's supposed to be 140ish grains and ~3000+fps. They all require a suppressor but it's not for sound it's for recoil and to prevent damage to the internals as I understand it. One person did the math I guess and came to the conclusion it'd be a approx. a 100,000PSI load, so go figure.

The powder was one of the biggest hurdles I hear.

NONE of this shit is new. They've been trying to replace AR for decades. Go to the Ft Benning Infantry Museum, I bet in a few years these three will get added to the OICW display below the G11.

All we ever needed was a souped up Grendel with a penetrator (jesus, pick fucking platform at this point already, plenty of good ones) an aluminum receiver SAW w/o magazine capability and lower rate of fire, a longer barrel replaceable version to replace 240 with a higher rate of fire and we'd have been golden for another 20 years.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Hi,

There is no winner yet, lol...The short list are now entering an allowed 3-5 year testing/redesigning phase.

The cartridge pressures are around 80k too, not 100k. Even at 80k they are having severe issues....

There is a reason Sig pulled the "Fury" ammunition submission and decided to push it to the civilian market instead :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

There is no winner yet, lol...The short list are now entering an allowed 3-5 year testing/redesigning phase.

The cartridge pressures are around 80k too, not 100k. Even at 80k they are having severe issues....

There is a reason Sig pulled the "Fury" ammunition submission and decided to push it to the civilian market instead :)

Sincerely,
Theis
80k you say? Well, that's pretty damn high and sorta close... Considering the guy came up with this number like almost two years ago based on almost nothing but "6.8mm" and "~3000fps" and "~140gr." with a guess on the barrel length and powder, etc., I'd say he did pretty good.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
80k whooah nelly!

80k whooah nelly!

Hi,

LOL you forgot the part of "severe issues" lol....

The internal clamp piece of the 3 piece design from Sig cannot take even those pressures. That is why they dumped the Fury to the civilian market in its' watered down state.

Right now the Poly ammo from True Velocity is leading the pack :) on the NGSW ammunition side of the house.

Sincerely,
Theis