• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Next Nightforce question 50 or 56MM

Re: Next Nightforce question 50 or 56MM

I have a Remington 700 PSS with a 10-42M Super Sniper which I've had for probably nine years and thought I'd upgrade the optics a bit.
I'm like 95% of guys on here, not a sniper but interested in targets and shooting at distances out to say 850 yards.
I have a couple of NF 10-42X56's on long range target rifles but since the PSS is what it is I figured I'd stick to a 5.5-22

Danny

I went 56 MM. Guided through their advice,Bear Basin Outfiters. Claims that's what the big boys used. Passes more light through,noticed I did not say " gathers more light". Its 5.5 X 22 X 56 with zero stop.

I went with the 5.5-22x56, I truly love mine. Great late in the evening. I was using it to spot hits on steel this past weekend out to 1000 for the guy next to me.

Mike

The 56mm is truly only 6mm larger than the 50mm. That may sound obvious but some scopes do not hold true. So you are only losing 3mm of height. My Leupold .84 rings were just a cunt hair shy after coming from a 50 to a 56. I went with NF 1" high rings and have a gap. I've searched for an .9 ring but had no luck. Go with the 56 and don't look back.

for myself, anything short of a .50 gets 3.5-15 X 50 or less. the farther you get from the bench, the less you need the huge optics.

I have a 50 on my 5R and a 56 on my .280AI . 5R is used to punch holes in paper and a little hunting while the .280AI is just used for hunting and is why I picked up the 56 .Both use nightforce med. rings . Personally I can't tell any differance in low light situations. Could be just me though. You'll be happy with either one I'm sure.

The area of a 56mm objective would be 2463mm vs. 1963mm for a 50mm objective. That's a pretty big difference, being 25% bigger.

I purchased both (50mm and 56mm)with the same reticle.

I compared them side by side in bright, low and no light conditions looking at a variety of colors and prints.

I expected to see an advantage to the 56mm.
I couldn't tell a difference but the 56mm required higher rings on my rifle(s).

End result? Someone here bought a really nice 56mm NF.
Only if the price and ring height are the same would I go with the 56mm.

We sale a lot of Nightforce and I have used a lot of them. I had a 5.5-22x56mm and when they came out wit the 50mm I tested one and I did not see a difference so I so the 56mm and got the 50mm and mounted it lower. Mounting it lower made may shooting position better.

I recommend the 50mm bell.

Mike

I have a 3.5-15X50 NXS on my Steyr SSG 69 PII, and it performs quite well in fading light. I have no doubt that the 56mm would transmit more light and have a more forgiving exit pupil, but the 50mm is no slouch and it is smaller. Any larger and the scope would not fit on the rifle with the Steyr rings.

Either way it can maintain a useful 15X even in dim light and has very good resolution. I am very pleased with the scope, my only regret is not spending more money on one with a zero stop. Next time I won't make that mistake.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900