• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Next step

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I got my Win 70 project gun back from US Handgunner (Link to Thread), so I researched Hodgdons online and in the Reloading Depot for .300 WSM suggested loads for Varget & H-414, that had criteria similar to my rig.

They included the following projectiles:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]155 gr Lapua Scenar [*]Sierra 165 gr HPBT [*]Sierra 168 gr HPBT-M [*]Hornady 168 gr AMAX [*]Sierra 175 gr HPBT-M [*]Hornady 208 gr AMAX [*]Berger 210 gr VLD-H [/list]

I loaded 5 of each recipe & hit the range. The top two loads were with Hornady 168 gr AMAX over 65 grains of H414 and Berger 210 gr VLD-H over 60 gr of H-414.

Now that the shotgun approach has yielded these two loads, I plan on conducting a ladder test with these at .5 gr powder increments.

Do I mess with OAL after the ladder test yields it's best groups? The Win 70 chamber measured 2.878". The AMAX was loaded to 2.84" and the VLD-H was loaded to 2.83" (Both lengths were recommended in load info).

Re: Next step

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I mess with OAL after the ladder test yields it's best groups? </div></div>
Yes. I'm guessing you didn't do a ladder test with all these bullets. If you prefer to shoot 1 bullet, do a ladder test with that bullet, and see what you get. Just picking a powder charge weight to see if it shoots well is a craps shoot if the gun likes the load or not. I'd pick the bullet you want to shoot and do a ladder test with it in .3 grain increments to just over max charge. You will find a good load for sure.
And very nice looking rifle! I like the Boyd laminated stocks.

Thank you, sir. The wood stock just feels right with that setup.

You are correct, I did not ladder test each of the 9 loads. I just shot the published recommended load and got lucky with those two. It ultimately will be used for target and hunting purposes, so I am happy with the Amax & VLD-H being the two best grouping. I was just hesitant to mess with the OAL.

After I ladder test the powder charge & get my best results, what do you recommend with adjusting the length? A kind of a ladder test with length at a certain increment?

Once you find a load that shoots well, I shoot the heck out of it. I don't play around with seating depth unless I can't get it to shoot good with a ladder test. I generally seat the bullet (VLD type bullets) as long as possible to still function out of a mag and/or be just off the rifling. If you load up in .2 or .3 grain imcrements to max charge (or a few tenths over book max), you should find a sweet spot. If you are shooting the longer (heavier) bullets, I would test them at 300 yards, if the load is going to be used for long range. The 208 and 210 grain bullets need a few hundred yards before you truely know how well they will shoot. If your shots will be hunting distances (less than 200 yards), then 100 yards would be fine.
I would pick whichever bullet you'd like to run the most, and work on that bullet. The A-max and VLD-H would be a good choice. You will also probably have to seat these deep in the case if you are running a short action and feeding from a box mag.