• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF NSX vs SHV

Cantstop

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I’m picking up a 270 wsm and needing a scope for it. This will be dedicated hunting rig out to 300-400yds max. I own a few NSXs which I have on Semi auto rifles and love the brand, glass, durability etc. Im trying not to go too overkill with the scope (rifle is a 8400 Kimber). After looking through NF for many years would like to stick with them.

Functionally, glass, weight are important. Im looking at the 3-10x42 SHV line as opposed to 2.5-10x42 NSX. Im curious if anybody has w Experience with these models and comparison. Will be hunting mostly in shooting boxes with open areas and wood lines.

I think the 10 should be enough magnification? Trying to avoid pulling the NSX 3.5-15 off the LMT.

Thanks for input

Great timing as we started our Nightforce Sale today.

SHV:
•Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
•Developed for all around use
•High-Quality glass with simplified features
•Best selling MOAR reticle
•ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
•Hard-use Nightforce® product line
•Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
•Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
•High-quality glass and features
•Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
•ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

Reactions: 338dude and Bakwa
I’m picking up a 270 wsm and needing a scope for it. This will be dedicated hunting rig out to 300-400yds max. I own a few NSXs which I have on Semi auto rifles and love the brand, glass, durability etc. Im trying not to go too overkill with the scope (rifle is a 8400 Kimber). After looking through NF for many years would like to stick with them.

Functionally, glass, weight are important. Im looking at the 3-10x42 SHV line as opposed to 2.5-10x42 NSX. Im curious if anybody has w Experience with these models and comparison. Will be hunting mostly in shooting boxes with open areas and wood lines.

I think the 10 should be enough magnification? Trying to avoid pulling the NSX 3.5-15 off the LMT.

Thanks for input
I have both (and some others). The NSX has that annoying rotation of the entire occular on zoom. The SHV does not. On a hunting rig, I like the SHV for that one aspect and at the 300-400 yardages you mention, that SHV is just fine.
Good luck with that Kimber, though.

Reactions: 338dude
gotta say the nxs 2.5-10x42 is the brightest, clearest scope i've ever looked through, not that i really have discerning eyes.

i don't care for sfp but given it only goes to 10x prob not that big of a deal.

Basically, they are the same quality optics. The NXS is built for tactical use, so lots of extras for ease of use and durability. The SHV is built for the range and hunting, and does not have the military handedness. The SHV is an appreciated value scope. It really comes down to your use.

Like others, we are Nightforce dealers, and have sales running on SHV and NXS this weekend. We have more inventory than listed on our Website, and have sale running from 10% to 20% off. This is a Nightforce authorized limited time deal for NXS and SHV. We have not announced or marked down, so if interested , DM or email me.

Reactions: Bakwa
As far as 10x goes, it’s plenty on a hunting rifle for those yardages. I have a 2x7 on my 270 win, never thought I needed more. When you practice shooting from field positions you will find 10x to likely be too much.

I’m gathering the same after reading NSX is worth the extra cash. Especially after looking through my NSX for years. I really like the IHR reticle-much less busy then the MOAR. Appreciate all the feedback

Reactions: AMG04
I've had a few NXS and a SHV. If money isn't a huge concern, go with the NXS. NXS has better glass, zero stop turrets, more durable, and comes in a few ounces lighter. If money is tight or you never dial, SHV is a great scope, especially for the price range....
I have 2 SHV scopes and dialing is no more difficult than any NXS scope. One of the things that is truly annoying on the NXS (I have 3 or 4 of them) is the entire occular rotating with zoom. Lots of hunters use flip caps to keep the lenses free of debris, rain and ice and that rotation is a real nuisance with a flip cap in place. Only the 3-10 SHV does not have the ZeroSet turret.

I have both (and some others). The NSX has that annoying rotation of the entire occular on zoom. The SHV does not.

I have 2 SHV scopes and dialing is no more difficult than any NXS scope. One of the things that is truly annoying on the NXS (I have 3 or 4 of them) is the entire occular rotating with zoom. Lots of hunters use flip caps to keep the lenses free of debris, rain and ice and that rotation is a real nuisance with a flip cap in place.
Just for truths sake, you're thinking about the ATACR line. The NXS line does not have rotating ocular bells.
Your gripe is not with the scope line the OP is asking about.

Just for truths sake, you're thinking about the ATACR line. The NXS line does not have rotating ocular bells.
Your gripe is not with the scope line the OP is asking about.
I am not mistaken. When an NXS is zoomed, the entire ocular rotates. That low power one MIGHT be different. However, for you to say that the entire line does not is most definitely not accurate.

I am not mistaken. When an NXS is zoomed, the entire occular rotates.
Not the case with the 2.5-10 NXS.
Unless the ones I've owned and still own are somehow different then all the ones you've seen.
One of us I misremembering and mine was in my hands as recent as yesterday.

I'll pick mine up this afternoon to make sure I'm not retarded.

Not the case with the 2.5-10 NXS.
Unless the ones I've owned and still own are somehow different then all the ones you've seen.
One of us I misremembering and mine was in my hands as recent as yesterday.

I'll pick mine up this afternoon to make sure I'm not retarded.
That low power one MIGHT be different. However, for you to say that the entire line does not is most definitely not accurate.

On the left, NXS with rotating ocular as it zooms. On the right, SHV with non rotating ocular as it zooms.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 05.59.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 05.59.58.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
That is fair.
Allow for me to restate.
The 2.5-10 NXS' ocular does not rotate when adjusting the magnification, so a flip cap will not rotate on you when you are using the scope.

I don't have much time behind the higher mag NXS' so I didn't remember them being like the ATACR's.

I have both but more experience with the SHV. Ive shot it out to 500 yards with no problems. I just got a NXS 2.5-10 but plan on hunting with it a bit the next few months. I dont think you could go wrong with either. Only downside is SFP.

M 3-10 SHV i zero at 100 and adjust to 250 for open country and if I have time i can change the dial. I dont mind the capped turrets at all. Mine is the adjustable parallax model.