• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nickel plated LC brass

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I've recently started tumbling a box of brass which contains some nickel plated LC 5.56 brass. Would this stuff be decent for reloading or should I trash it? Sure seems to clean up easier than the brass LC...

Re: Nickel plated LC brass

Interesting. The only nickel-plated LC brass I remember seeing was some dummy .30-06 and 7.62 Match rounds that were probably passed out at Camp Perry as novelty keyrings.

Downright pretty they are.

We received it as Federal soft point 62gr ammo. They're definitely easier to clean up and basically have no corrosion where the brass cases they're mixed in with are pretty dirty.

I wonder if they'll blow out to my .223 Ackley chamber without flaking?

I have found that nickel plated cases aso seem to be harder and more prone to cracking at the necks and case head seperation. Keep an eye on them but any brass is good brass at this point. It definately would not keep me from loading it.

i got a little over a thou of them while cleaning up a police range, and reloaded a couple hundred with my long range loads for my 25" harris barreled ar. they slide in the action nice, sometimes they slide too nice and i have to check to make sure it loaded a round. they would probably be best suited to a timed shoot segment in a match