• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

I have the 3.5-15 on a coyote rig, and on another hunter. I run the 5.5-22 on my .308, .338 LM and 7mm.

The 2.5-10x42 was perfect size and weight for this rifle. Kept 10 oz. off the weight of rifle and I know it has the same reliability as the 3.5 and 5.5 NXS.

This is a purpose built rifle and the 10 power is plenty. Shot out to 1300+ and no problems. Wouldn't hesitate on a coyote size target at 1k or under.

Have you ever thought of trying to run that 5.5-22 on the 6.5?

Have you ever thought of trying to run that 5.5-22 on the 6.5?

I have used a 5.5-22 NXS for years, and love it. As a hunting scope, though, it is pretty cumbersome, both in size and weight. I had GAP build my 6.5 4S as a light, packable rifle for high country, long range hunting. The smaller (than 50 or 56) objective and lower profile knobs on the compact makes the whole rig ride more comfortably on me or a horse, and yet provides the needed light transmission and magnification for my hunting needs. IMHO, this is the ideal scope for the rifle it is riding on. I'm just jealous of Chopper Guy, who buys his scopes in pairs!

Damn, I would love to trade a 5.5-22 in on one of these. I feel bad adding another NF to the collection with a few sitting in the safe. This I believe is the perfect scope for most tasks

I have used a 5.5-22 NXS for years, and love it. As a hunting scope, though, it is pretty cumbersome, both in size and weight. I had GAP build my 6.5 4S as a light, packable rifle for high country, long range hunting. The smaller (than 50 or 56) objective and lower profile knobs on the compact makes the whole rig ride more comfortably on me or a horse, and yet provides the needed light transmission and magnification for my hunting needs. IMHO, this is the ideal scope for the rifle it is riding on. I'm just jealous of Chopper Guy, who buys his scopes in pairs!

Yeah, it would be awesome to buy scopes in pairs. I appreciate your advice as this will be my first hunting rifle. Been shooting pistols for a while until a good friend of mine took me out hunting for the first time this year for Coues Deer A.K.A. "The Grey Ghost". Now I'm addicted. My 4S will be ready sometime in April so I'm spending the wait time doing a little research on the right scope to put on it for hunting those very small and elusive deer. Lot's of open space out here in Arizona, so your best shot may be at 500 yards plus on the next ridge over. We were using a Leupold Mark 4, 6.5-20 on a rifle and it got pretty hard to see them out to longer distances. Because the deer are so small and blend in so well with the surroundings, it's even harder to distinguish which one of deer in the bachelor group had the bigger rack once they start moving away from your location. That's kind of where my question came from. Does the 2.5-10 have enough magnification for those Coues Deer? Thanks for your response to that question. Reading through these forums has been awesome. Thanks for helping a newbie get an education in long range shooting.

yup... What he said :)

To anyone with experience with the nightforce 2.5-10x32/24 models,

When you shoot at extended ranges like 600 yards and beyond, how much parallax is present with the scope?

The eye piece is used to focus the reticle to your eye. Adjusting the parallax can make the target appear crisper correct? Any issues with blurry targets at extended ranges with the 2.5-10x24/32?

Thanks a lot for all the great information about this scope! This thread and lowlight's review have made me strongly considering ordering this scope, replacing my 4-16 Vortex PST on a light weight hunting rifle (blaser r93) which also get to see some steel shooting up to 600meters. I got to see through a NXS at the range the other day and I was surprised by the high resolution, so optically I think this should be an nice upgrade from the PST. One thing I'm worried about is any tunneling effect at low power?

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, really appreciate it. Then I'll have to find a dealer then :)

Yes, to me it's ideal that it's SFP since reticle is accurate for ranging/hold at 10x which is the power I'll use at the range shooting steel. While at hunting I do not need any ranging or accurate hold under 200 meter where I'm likely to be at less 2.5-6 power but I do need to be able to see the reticle, which the SFP helps me do. The FFP 4-16 pst is to me not useful at low power because I can hardly see the reticle at all.

had a few here say they can't find it on NF site...

Here is link to them. And there are many great Vendors here on the Hide that sell them as well.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> [FONT=&quot]NXS? Compact Riflescopes | Nightforce Optics, Inc.[/FONT]
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->

To anyone with experience with the nightforce 2.5-10x32/24 models,

When you shoot at extended ranges like 600 yards and beyond, how much parallax is present with the scope?

The eye piece is used to focus the reticle to your eye. Adjusting the parallax can make the target appear crisper correct? Any issues with blurry targets at extended ranges with the 2.5-10x24/32?

I have shot my 2.5-10X32 at extended ranges with no issues in parallax. I have yet to mount my 42. It has an adjustable parallax, so there should be no issue there.

From looking at the reticle pics, it looks like the MIL-R is a tick more fine than the MOAR.

Has anyone that has seen both in person care to make a comment?

Thank you all for your replies, I just ordered a 0.1 mil/mil-r from Euro Optic, fantastic support from them and you guys in the decision making. Really can't wait to get it mounted.

Just picked up one of these little bad boys myself - thank you Jay @ Sport Optics! Can't wait to check it out and see what all the fuss is over :)

No hands on with the MOAR, but looking at NF's subtensions it appears it is thicker than the Mil-R.

The Mil-R is 0.120 moa thick in SFP scopes, MOAR is .140 moa

Interestingly enough, the NF mil-dot is .130 MOA in the 10x flavor. I've always been a fan of it...tax refund will get here this week...

Picked it up today, less then a week since I ordered it from Eurooptic. First impression is really good, haven't been able to really test the scope optics since it's rather dark over here in the afternoon. Scope fits into a low 30 mm standard blaser mount. Attaching a picture which shows it in comparison with a Vortex viper pst 4-16 x 50.
blaser-nightforce copy.JPG

I got one last week from Chris at Sport Optics and have to say I'm very impressed with the clarity and brightness. I bought mine with the MOAR reticle and .250 MOA adjustments. Right now I have it sitting on my 40X rimfire, and I think that's where it's going to stay. I do hope however that Nightforce will come out with a compact NXS scope in the 3.5-15x42mm range soon.

Shane

I agree with you that 10 power does work great. I just like a little more power on the upper end if it's available. I don't think that one extra power on the bottom end would hurt you that much when hunting. I'm Not saying there's anything wrong with 2.5-10 I have one and plan to get another. I just think it would be a nice addition to the compact line of NXS they already have.

Shane

Spent time on the range today with this scope, spotting my friend shooting at 600meters. Fantastic resolution and I can see the target clearly, much better then my 16x viper pst even at 600m. Resolution beats magnification.. The field of view is a bit narrow though, compared with a S & B 2.5 10 56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the low end the NF is rated at 44 feet, compared to that scopes 13.1 meters, which is 43 feet. The high end on the S&B is a tick higher at 4 meters or 13.1 feet to the NF's 11 feet. Overall, the NF seem more feature rich though.

Resolution beats magnification by far.

Here's a copy of the response I made to a dealer about the use of my scopes I received from them. It was made at the same time I ordered my 3rd one of these scopes for another hunting rig.

I feel these are a perfect hunting scope for realistic hunting situations. I judge game with my spotting scope, binos, etc. I shoot game with my rifle scope. If tie does not permit judging with other optics, this scope is perfectly capable of judging & ranging game at responsible hunting ranges.

"I 2 of them already. On my R8 308 & 30-06.

As far as I'm concerned the best HUNTING scope available today. This new one is going on my 9.3x62 so all my really serious hunting rifles are scoped alike. If I end up with a good 6.5 Creedmore hunting rig, it'll likely be transferred to that one or I'll get another.

I have clanged steel at 600 yards with my 308 and 30-06 they are mounted on. I will stretch that distance out when/if this frozen tundra ever thaws out.

I've taken big game out to 200 with it so far (pronghorn in Wyoming). Several hogs fell to the 308 Blaser BOAR stocked R8 at ranges to 250. Not really far enough to need the capabilities of the MOAR reticle, but it is fun to use it.

I have truthed the reticle and clicks out to 400 yards one day when I had some extra time on my hands. Held over with reticle then shot with the cross hairs centerd and dialed the elevation. Worked flawlessly."

Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

Just got the C458 MOAR version of the 2.5-10x42 and mounted it on my new Noveske Rogue Hunter 6.8 SPC. Outstanding glass, and the reticle is heavy enough for mixed hunting/steel use at short to medium ranges.

The x32 that I had was annoying at *short* ranges because of the fixed parallax; as others have said it wasn't as much of a concern at longer ranges. I love the 25m side focus on the x42 for cleaning up the view under 100yds.

This scope has *zero* tunneling at low power. Others have said this issue is generally exclusive to FFP scopes, but my SFP Hensoldt 3-12x56 tunneled as did the SFP Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 and 3-12x56. So I was very happy to see the full field of view through the Nightforce at 2.5x.

The turrets seem to be a big upgrade even over the F1. Very very precise clicks.

There is some barrel distortion at 2.5x but it is not enough to be distracting. I returned a Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x for that reason. In the Nightforce, 2.5x is perfectly usable.

The illumination is good and bad. The red is plenty bright but is brighter around 10-20 MOA down the reticle so it is a little distracting as it draws the eye away from the center. The green illumination seems useless at twilight as it isn't bright enough. Perhaps it is great for night hunting or NVD use. The UI will take some getting used to, as it requires holding in the button for at least a second then releasing to turn it off. I find myself just pressing it normally and all that does is change the brightness level. Overall I prefer the old illumination dial on the 2.5-10x32. Obviously NF had to improvise to add the side focus. This new system is at least preferable to the full size NXS line which couldn't be adjusted without taking the side focus cap off.

All in all it's a stout but manageable 20.5 oz bulletproof compact scope with fabulous glass. I think it will be perfect on my 6.8 for predator calling. Total weight is 8.25lbs. Here it is mounted in a 1.125" Nightforce Unimount with a fresh Rust-Oleum paint job:

4umyre5a.jpg

Last edited:
How do you find the field of view at 10x compared with the Zeiss HT at 10x ? The only thing that I did not really like with this scope is that the field of view is less at 10x then my S & B 2.5 - 10 x 56 FFP from 1997 even if the magnification seems to be comparable. At 2.5x it it seem to be larger as the S & B has a fair amount of tunneling. I'm very happy with the glass quality, clear and excellent resolution, nice turrets but haven't had time to test tracking yet.

How do you find the field of view at 10x compared with the Zeiss HT at 10x ? The only thing that I did not really like with this scope is that the field of view is less at 10x then my S & B 2.5 - 10 x 56 FFP from 1997 even if the magnification seems to be comparable. At 2.5x it it seem to be larger as the S & B has a fair amount of tunneling. I'm very happy with the glass quality, clear and excellent resolution, nice turrets but haven't had time to test tracking yet.

I think there is a point of diminishing returns and everyone needs to make up his own mind as to how important each feature is. And match the optic to its intended purpose. We could compare specs but the Zeiss Victory HT series is stunning and needs to be experienced. It's like looking through a bay window that has no curtains, no blinds, and no glass even. The view is gigantic and beautiful. I happen to have a 3-12x56 HT in the Optics For Sale forum right now... I've also had the 1.5-6x42 and 2.5-10x50. If someone wants the prettiest view possible through a hunting scope, your search ends with the HT.

BUT, the view is not the only aspect of a scope that matters, and depending on your particular use it may matter much less than other aspects. Robustness, elevation travel, reticle, turrets... All of these heavily favor the Nightforce. So much so that the scopes aren't really comparable... The Nightforce is not a hunting scope per se, but people who appreciate tactical optics and who may want to spin some turrets or hold off using the reticle will put one on a hunting rifle instead of the HT.

The reason the NF x42 is such a huge WIN is that it has no meaningful trade offs when used in that capacity. Is the view as huge as the HT? No. Is the eyebox as gloriously forgiving? No. Do they need to be? No. Is it a huge improvement over the x32? Yes. Is it better than everything else out there in its class? Yes. When I'm not using it side by side with an HT do I think even for one second that the view is somehow lacking? No.

If you're looking for a hunting scope and don't need to spin turrets or hold off using the reticle, the only reason to get the NF is for its rock solid construction. Otherwise get the HT (keep in mind that the HT has fixed parallax). But with the NF you don't need to feel like you're missing out on something, and you gain all the other benefits.

However, the daylight visible dot in the HT's #60 reticle is pretty amazing... Personally, if I was strictly using it for hunting within 300yds, I would run the HT. But I don't hunt that much so my rifles are setup for shooting; hunting is secondary. With this scope on my 6.8 I can think of it as my 'predator calling rifle' and if it gets used 98% of the time shooting steel out to 500yds and 2% of the time hunting mountain lions near the Grand Canyon, I'll be perfectly happy with my scope choice.

Here is the Victory HT 3-12x56 next to the NF 2.5-10x42:

aquseras.jpg

Last edited:
Lot's of open space out here in Arizona, so your best shot may be at 500 yards plus on the next ridge over.

Does the 2.5-10 have enough magnification for those Coues Deer?

A clean kill on a trophy Coues buck at 500+yds under field conditions will not be easy. I know some diehard Coues hunters and don't know anyone with a kill past 350. That doesn't mean it can't be done, maybe they *chose* not to take those long shots. Just keep in mind that a good buck is hard to find and it is very unlikely that you will get a second shot. Stalk closer if you can. A trophy on the wall is better than a story of one you missed or wounded at 600 yards. I'm not much of a deer hunter and I've only shot one Coues buck, a nice one at 100 yards near Roosevelt Lake.

With that in mind, "enough magnification" is subjective and in part depends on your eyesight. Keep that 6.5-20x Mark 4 handy and look at animals at various powers and at various distances to figure out what you would be comfortable with. Also pay attention to field of view, ease of acquiring the target quickly and mirage.

I usually hunt with my scope set on 5x in case something pops up nearby. So a Leupold 6.5-20x, which tunnels considerably in the FFP versions that I have, would only be on a dedicated long range gun. On the other end, I don't think 2.5x is necessary for an AZ deer rifle. 4x would be fine.

As for max power for the 500 yard shot, I can offer my experiences. I shot an elk at 400 yards on 12x and a small mule deer (still bigger bodied than my Coues buck) at 550 yards on 16x. I could have used less but I had the mag available and it made for comfortable and precise aiming. I like picking a spot in the heart/lung area without feeling like my crosshairs are subtending the animal's entire chest.

So, if I had to offer suggestions, I'd say Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50 or Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44. I used to own the former and I like the Gen 2 mildot for hunting. For the latter, I'm a big fan of Leupold's TMR in FFP, although I have not actually seen it in the Mark 6 except in photos. Next on my list is the recently introduced 119214 version with compact M5C2 turrets and the illuminated TMR. But you can save a grand by getting the basic non-illum M5B2 TMR model.

Both of those scopes are nice and light. If the S&B 4-16x42 or 4-16x50 was lighter I'd suggest it as well, along with the Nightforce 3.5-15x50.

In summary, plenty of experienced shooters could kill a Coues deer at 500 yards with the Nightforce on 10x, but I've been hunting and shooting for close to 30 years and it wouldn't be my first choice... You have to know what you're comfortable with. I envision my 6.8 SPC with the NF 2.5-10x42 as a 300yd hunting gun and 500yd steel gun. For my uses and preferences, the rifle, cartridge and scope are well matched.

Does anyone know the mounting length of this scopes tube ?

I just heard from NF : Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics.

The mounting length of the NXS 2.5-10x42 is 5.1".

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

I just heard from NF : Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics.

The mounting length of the NXS 2.5-10x42 is 5.1".

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

That's what mine measures.

Penn,
That mount and scope combo is exactly what I am planning for my SPR, but it sure looks like flip up caps or the like wont clear the rail.

Penn,
That mount and scope combo is exactly what I am planning for my SPR, but it sure looks like flip up caps or the like wont clear the rail.

Maybe something extremely thin but definitely not the included NF caps. The objective bell clears the rail by about .09". If you don't need the 20 MOA cant but still want a fairly low mount, you could use the Armalite 1.25" (model EX0022). I have one on my Noveske Medium Varmint. I like that height with an A2 stock, while I prefer the lower NF mount with the A1 on my 6.8.

Another option instead of using a front cap might be to try a Tenebraex ARD and let that serve to protect the front lens. EuroOptic seems to think that this one will fit the scope, although I'm not positive that it will clear the rail:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tenebraex-killflash-ard-for-42mm-schmidt-bender-tt-cover-compatible.aspx

If you get one let me know how you like it and post a photo. I've been considering it myself.

Last edited:
Bump it up because I'm tired of searching for this thread to reference the good info. Got one of these coming....

Came in today. Looks and feels great. The green illumination is very intriguing. My custom 700 arrives next week so I'm itching to get it mount and punch some holes! I will report back and possibly start a new thread review of my rig.

A clean kill on a trophy Coues buck at 500+yds under field conditions will not be easy. I know some diehard Coues hunters and don't know anyone with a kill past 350. That doesn't mean it can't be done, maybe they *chose* not to take those long shots. Just keep in mind that a good buck is hard to find and it is very unlikely that you will get a second shot. Stalk closer if you can. A trophy on the wall is better than a story of one you missed or wounded at 600 yards. I'm not much of a deer hunter and I've only shot one Coues buck, a nice one at 100 yards near Roosevelt Lake.

Thanks for the input and advice. I ended up purchasing the new Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS. It gives a little more magnification just to be on the safe side. We'll see how close I can get to my next Coues without spookin it. Congrats on your Coues buck!

Why do some of these have a gold illumination button while others have a black one? Nice setup War Eagle. If you ever get really tired of your 24mm NF i could help you forget about it :)

Why do some of these have a gold illumination button while others have a black one?
Pretty sure mine was black but it's all the same once the spray paint comes out. Love this little scope on the 6.8 SPC.

e5aju6ud.jpg

Why do some of these have a gold illumination button while others have a black one? Nice setup War Eagle. If you ever get really tired of your 24mm NF i could help you forget about it :)

The first couple of runs have the gold looking Digillum control. Moving forward, the button is black. The gold color was simply the same color as on the BEAST, but we decided to go with the black.