• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR. Complete failure!

This is not going to be a very popular opinion, I am afraid, but for a hunting rifle I always a have a backup scope in a pair of rings that come back to zero properly setup. It may be a simpler scope than my primary, but I always have one.

ILya

Great, should you have to have this? Should you need to have two cars in your driveway in case one will not start when you need to go to work?

Great, should you have to have this? Should you need to have two cars in your driveway in case one will not start when you need to go to work?

I have never in my life gotten a loaner car from a dealer during a repair, so if I have a major failure on my car and can not afford that interruption, YES, i’ll need two cars. Some dealers don’t offer loaners, or they they run out occasionally. I would not expect them to have an infinite pool of loaners, and I would not expect them to go into new stock and throw me the keys just because I make a scene about it. If their policy stated that there was a guarantee of a loaner, then I’d expect a loaner, this is very simple. Cars fail, scopes fail, everything fails.

What matters is that company sticks to the polices and procedures it’s set forth for these matters. You (and the OP) thinking Nightforce’s’ policy should be different is completely irrelevant.

If you own a seven month old car, and when you went to go to work today, it would not start. Say the starter was broken. Suppose the dealer had no loaner, and told you that it was going to be a month before he could get to your car, but that it was up to you to hire a towtruck to take the car to him to establish you place in the four week que, would you be as happy with that as you seem to think the OP should be with his situation.

Suppose someone came on the thread where you were discussing your car problems and said, well you had seven months to find the bad starter, how can you complain that it is going to take four weeks to get it fixed.

I think when we switch the item from a gun item to a car item more people will be able to understand (1) it should not have broke (2) it should be fixed quickly (3) if you need it you should get a free loaner.

Except, I understand that mechanical objects do and can fail and if I didn't purchase an extra warranty plan that covers towing to the dealer, that fee is on me. I don't except the dealer to cater to my every single needs for a vehicle I've been using for many months if I didn't pay for the extra commodities that aren't included in the manufactures limited warranty.

Reactions: Stickshift
Hi,

To OP....
Are you seriously on the internet asking people to contact NF and tell them they need to take better care of you because of your situation and showcase that the power of the mob should override their public company policies?
Exactly what resolution do you think would come out of that?

Does anyone ever wonder why the amount of industry reps have declined on internet forums over the past 10 years?

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

To OP....
Are you seriously on the internet asking people to contact NF and tell them they need to take better care of you because of your situation and showcase that the power of the mob should override their public company policies?

Does anyone ever wonder why the amount of industry reps have declined on internet forums over the past 10 years?

Sincerely,
Theis
mobs work for liberals :)

mobs work for liberals :)
Like I said point taken, Suppose you are all right. Wrong on my part to wish for a different outcome other than the gracious one offered by NF, Was holding out hope for using the NF for the purpose I purchased it, I was only seeking the best I could afford, Maby next time, thanks for all the mixed responces it's been interesting sharing this with all

All things can break and if they break, they do so at the worst moment.

For anything that I do not classify as a range toy, I have spare parts and spare optics. All my handguns that have red dot sights, also have co-witnessed iron sights. My defensive carbine has a secondary sight system.

Oh, and I do have an extra car in the drive way most of the time.

While I have full confidence in the scope maker/rifle maker/car mechanic being able to fix my stuff if it breaks, I do not want to depend on their schedule for anything that is important to me.

To be clear, I do not have two Tangent Thetas with one sitting as a spare. I can't afford that. However, I can afford to have a $300 fixed power SS as a spare scope or something along those lines. It is not as nice as a Tangent Theta, but it is a good spare scope and is good enough to get the job done in a pinch. In practical terms, I have two SWFA SS 3-9x42 scopes I use as spares, simply because I happened to have them. They track true, stay zeroed and have been with me for so long they are a sunk cost.

If you think I am paranoid... you are absolutely correct.

ILya

Hi,

To OP....

Sincerely,
Theis
The popularity of spending time on internet forums has especially declined among those who have no desire to be told that they should take care of their customers in a timely manner.

The popularity of spending time on internet forums has especially declined among those who have no desire to be told that they should take care of their customers in a timely manner.
Asking for any help is a bad idea I get that. Point taken, The issue with the new top shelf product still exist, Failed and not usable, I purchased NF for a reason and in my mind it was to get the best, Just looks like I have a faulty best scope on the market with as of this afternoon no resolution , I accept my scolding for asking for help.

Just looks like I have a faulty best scope on the market with as of this afternoon no resolution

You do have a resolution. Its just not on thats catering to your demands.
Send it in and take that other night force you have off its current rifle and mount it up.
Or use the vortex with its shims you seem to not like.
In either case trying to come on here and get us riled up over nightforce doing exactly what they say they do isn't going to work. I think a month is already pretty peppy myself.

I do value your input, and I repeat wrong place to look for help, Just a bit frustrating and honestly the resolution however gracious is not timely for my world, So if you hired me to put a roof on your house and after I was done and finished and down the road, You discover it leaks bad and not functional and I can't fix it for a month ,,,,, after the storm ,,,,, that would be ok? In reality you would probably call the local news antd tell them what a rip and a crummy roofer I am, This is painfull, Best scope I could afford and no help till after the storm,,,,, Apologies for asking for help in the wrong place, Excusing a giant in any industry from delivering a roof that don't leak before the storm arrives. Or premium scope that functions before the hunt,

Reactions: diverdon
Asking for any help is a bad idea I get that. Point taken, The issue with the new top shelf product still exist, Failed and not usable, I purchased NF for a reason and in my mind it was to get the best, Just looks like I have a faulty best scope on the market with as of this afternoon no resolution , I accept my scolding for asking for help.

You're being scrutinized because you're trying to guilt trip people on this forum into grabbing their torches and pitchforks because Nightforce won't cater to YOUR needs. Nightforce offered you a solution to fix your nine month old scope that you have been using, yet you keep posting here trying to stir the pot further delaying the process to get your scope fixed instead of sending it in after people have already posted here that it could very well come back to you short of the quoted time frame.

Reactions: Crews and hypno02
Hi,

Well you can blame that "not timely for my world" partly on the consumers themselves. Can you imagine how many times companies in this industry hear the phrases:
"I have a hunting trip next week"
"I am competing in such and such this weekend"
"I have a training course scheduled for next weekend"

All in the attempt to have the manufacturers put them ahead of all other warranty and repair work. Only to find out it was all completely false.

Nightforce offered you their company policy solution but yet you want others from the internet to basically coerce NF to handle YOU differently.

AND in regards to construction comparison....well I am 9 weeks into what was supposed to be a 5 week office renovation and guess what??? They are still going to be several more weeks.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Reactions: hypno02 and Bradu
I guess we all have different expectations. Could NF have upped the ante and handled this better......certainly. Are you any more special than anyone else? No! Sounds like NF has consistent policies for warranty repair. I sent my ATACR 4-16x42 back about a year or so ago because of the grease splatter present on one of the erector lenses. They provided an RMA and quoted me 4-6 weeks. I sent the scope back via UPS on my dime and got it back in less than 10 days and 6 of that was transit from North Idaho BFE. I never expected a prepaid label and did not ask for one. Scope came back like new and I am still abusing the ever living shit out of it with zero issue today. It may break one day, but I consider the probability much lower than other brands based on my vast experience with duty optics in hard use environments. Hell, man made things break. NASA has lost two space shuttles. It happens and at the most inopportune time. I feel your pain, I do.....but your execution comes across kinda crass and unfair with you expecting Nightforce to provide special treatment to your unvetted reason. Not calling yoou a liar at all.....just sure they hear every excuse under the sun to justify customer's expectations. To each their own I guess. I am the first one to vote with my wallet, but it would take much more than the situation you describe.
All in all, I bet NF gets it back and jumps right on it and its back much sooner than quoted lead time. - P

Reactions: Subwrx300
Like I said point taken, Suppose you are all right. Wrong on my part to wish for a different outcome other than the gracious one offered by NF, Was holding out hope for using the NF for the purpose I purchased it, I was only seeking the best I could afford, Maby next time, thanks for all the mixed responces it's been interesting sharing this with all

Not defending Nightforce, because you clearly aren't the first person to feel marginalized by NF customer service. Some dealers won't carry the brand because of these instances. But dude, you sound like you need a good cleansing cry. There is zero bass in your voice. Be a man. Change teams or deal with the fact that your team "is not that into you".

This thread should read "F Nightforce" and the NF lovers will come to their defense, and you laugh (with bass in your chest) and tell them to F off too, because you're going on your hunt with a Vortex and you wanted other potential customers to hear about your bad experience, and other guys who had bad experiences pile on with you. Then you go hunting with your Vortex, you fall in love with the CS, you keep it, sell the ATACR, buy an AMG, and then later another AMG. You become a Vortex fanboy, posting in every other thread about their absolutely incredible customer service, and arguing with all the haters that say "Good, cause you're gonna need it" and "the best CS is the one you never use", and later when someone comes on here and says "F Nightforce" you can pile on with them.

People are giving you crap, because you can literally see your lip quivering through the words.

Everyone knows military grade stuff is supposed to be tough right? Well, there's a saying in the army, 2 is 1 and 1 is.... none

Even tough shit breaks, that's why you should have a backup for everything.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I’ll just say that I was told 6 weeks by Nightforce to have my NXS turrets changed from MOA to mil, I had my scope back in my hands the next week.

I screwed the clutch too far off my nxs once and couldn't get it back on. I told the nightforce rep i screwed it up. It was my fault. They still sent me an RMA and repaired and returned the scope in a timely manner at no cost. I can't remember if i had to pay shipping or not. Either way i thought their customer service was great. I can't imagine expecting more from them. They aren't giving you the run around or ignoring you. They are doing what they said they would do. What else do you want?

About eight years ago I started to focus on rifles again. My rifles were all scoped with Leupolds with the exception off two Redfields and a Swarovski 3-12X56-DV Stahl. Nothing I owned had turrets including my .22-250. My expectation was that they would hold zero and not fog. So back to 2009-10. Now I'm looking for something with turrets and higher power. An oft recommended scope, on the cheap, is the Viper 6.5-20. While trying to figure out who the hell Vortex is I read about their no fault guarantee. Yeah right, no fault, that's bullshit. It's not even a warranty, it's a guarantee and they don't care if your the first, fifth or tenth owner. Then I read that the Vortex flagship Razor was introduced with a rear element, ocular, that has a design flaw and that Vortex is offering all owners free replacement/repair of the ocular. No frikkin' way. Way. I've got three and my varmint hunting partners have three more.

Next comes SWFA an as far as I'm concerned they're some distributor in Texas that handles Tasco SS scopes. Now I'm doing some reading about the SS scopes and they're getting great reviews for reliability and so does SWFA's CS. They're bringing out a new a new scope, the SS 5-20, and the guys testing it say it performs beyond any reasonable expectations. If I order, before there are actual production models available, I'll have to wait but I can get one for a grand instead of fifteen hundred. There's a long thread going on about the new scope and of course SWFA's CS is mentioned. One guy says his " whatsit" went down five days before a match and SWFA sent him a loaner. It arrived by SR-71 twelve seconds after he finished the call. WTF! I immediately ordered two with the idea of selling one. Of course, when I got one mounted, there was no way the other one was going down the road. While in the warm confines of the safe, the first two bred and I now have three.

Consider the recent changes in the warranties for S&B and Minnox, it is evident that crazy good warranties are the norm. We are extremely fortunate that the market has become so competitive. The OP's problem is that he is judging NF by the last best story he heard.

Last edited:
Everything mechanical has the possibility to break eventually, no matter how much of a quality item it may be. And when that happens on something like a scope, I don't think a month is a terrible time frame to get it fixed. However it's complete garbage to have to pay the shipping on something as expensive as a NF scope. I can return a $20 item to amazon and not pay the shipping. It's not as if each scope is sold at $5 above cost. Yes the quality is worth the price of admission but they are turning enough of a profit on each piece to be able to pay shipping on the ones that fail.

All things can break and if they break, they do so at the worst moment.

For anything that I do not classify as a range toy, I have spare parts and spare optics. All my handguns that have red dot sights, also have co-witnessed iron sights. My defensive carbine has a secondary sight system.

Oh, and I do have an extra car in the drive way most of the time.

While I have full confidence in the scope maker/rifle maker/car mechanic being able to fix my stuff if it breaks, I do not want to depend on their schedule for anything that is important to me.

To be clear, I do not have two Tangent Thetas with one sitting as a spare. I can't afford that. However, I can afford to have a $300 fixed power SS as a spare scope or something along those lines. It is not as nice as a Tangent Theta, but it is a good spare scope and is good enough to get the job done in a pinch. In practical terms, I have two SWFA SS 3-9x42 scopes I use as spares, simply because I happened to have them. They track true, stay zeroed and have been with me for so long they are a sunk cost.

If you think I am paranoid... you are absolutely correct.

ILya

This is an odd time for me. Its the first time in years, I didn't have an SWFA 10x sitting in rings just in case a scope went down. That little SWFA 10x got a lot of use waiting on scopes sent in for warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarinePMI
Everything but you paying shipping to them seems normal. They must have a triage system based on a number of factors. I had debris in a new NX8 and had it cleaned out and on it's way back via Fedex expedited service same day. I think the entire process took ten days including RMA shipping to them.

Everything mechanical has the possibility to break eventually, no matter how much of a quality item it may be. And when that happens on something like a scope, I don't think a month is a terrible time frame to get it fixed. However it's complete garbage to have to pay the shipping on something as expensive as a NF scope. I can return a $20 item to amazon and not pay the shipping. It's not as if each scope is sold at $5 above cost. Yes the quality is worth the price of admission but they are turning enough of a profit on each piece to be able to pay shipping on the ones that fail.
Amazon has a 30 day return policy and this scope is 9 months old. Your comparison is flawed.

When someone pays the price and buys a product from a company with a reputation like Nightforce, one expects rock solid reliability. And if there is a problem, to be taken care of like you are more than just a RMA in the pile. I understand things break, but Nightforce claims their product to be bulletproof. They could have refurbished models on hand to use as loaners for situations like this since it is hunting season and they should know people will be counting on their equipment. You are not talking about a $100 Tasco from Walmart, if you pay that kind of money then I do expect customer service to be above and beyond. Maybe the OP is being a bit bitchy and did not give them a chance, I don’t know, but I would be pissed too if a barely used $3000 scope failed. Some people don’t have the means to have multiple scopes laying around “just in case”, they always get the “buy once, cry once” advice and expect them to be right.

I think the OP needs to quit being a whiny, spoiled, little b**ch. I'm not a Nightforce fan, but man. They are backing their product 100%. You're upset because they aren't paying shipping and giving you a new scope or a loaner..... Come on. What world are you living in. Like a poster above said, "always have a backup." If you can afford a hunt in Wyoming, I'm sure you can afford a back up scope. I've had issues go wrong with a lot of very expensive scopes. Everything breaks, even a Nightforce. I know that's blastomy to say that.

Never needed NF customer service on my NF scope, yet. But if I do, I'm going to expect to have to ship it back to be evaluated and repaired.

Reactions: Fenix Mike
Suppose he was LE or military. Now do you’re opinions change? Do we quit roasting him , and have his back? This scope should not have broke . Plenty of people using these scopes, with job titles requireing them to point it at another person . Should the thing break ? What a joke .

Suppose he was LE or military. Now do you’re opinions change? Do we quit roasting him , and have his back? This scope should not have broke . Plenty of people using these scopes, with job titles requireing them to point it at another person . Should the thing break ? What a joke .

Hi,
Completely flawed logic BECAUSE people that point weapons at other people for a living will always have backup equipment!!! So if we want to compare a hunter to LE/Mil then he should plan as they plan by having a backup right? Or do you only want them to be compared when it benefits the hunter?

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Cjl2010
Hi,
Completely flawed logic BECAUSE people that point weapons at other people for a living will always have backup equipment!!! So if we want to compare a hunter to LE/Mil then he should plan as they plan by having a backup right? Or do you only want them to be compared when it benefits the hunter?

Sincerely,
Theis
So let’s say you’re le/mil . Scope breaks on the spot. You have another rifle? You’re telling me two rifles ?

Nothing should break ever ever ever forever ever ever.... come on man... I don’t care if it cost $10k... it can break... send it in, get it repaired, move on...

Reactions: user
Hi,

Short answer is absolutely!!
Not only do they have other rifles..they have complete other Team members that can rotate in to fill the spot with a complete other set of equipment.

Also you did note the OP said he had 2 NF scopes right? So his thread wanting others to lynch NF is and was complete whining and crying in attempts to get NF to go against their PUBLIC policy and treat him special.

Edit to Add: It has been 3 days!! Has the OP shipped the damn scope back to NF yet or would he rather just complain about the resolution?

Sincerely,
Theis

So let’s say you’re le/mil . Scope breaks on the spot. You have another rifle? You’re telling me two rifles ?
Stop with your imaginary strawman argument. This scope was not purchased through a government contract or LE procurement order. It was a commmercial sale for sporting purposes. It is being covered within the written return policy which the customer agreed upon when he chose to purchase the item. Stop trying to inject some miss placed emotion by creating an argument point based on a fictitious situation which is not relevant to this incident.

Actually no, it would make me less inclined to cut any slack on this.

If that had been a guy in my squad, I would have told him to shut the fu*k up, slap the Vortex on there, and drive on and accomplish the mother-fukkin mission. Which in this case is a hunt.

Reactions: PusherX11
Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's views and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.

Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's views and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.

Hi,

Well shit...that in itself offends me. lolol
Can you all help me out and contact @earthquake and tell him to treat me better? I really need everyone's help.

Sincerely,
Theis