• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR

Yowie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2014
G'day guys,

I'm sure many of your are sick of my endless questions but I want some genuine feedback on the nightforce ATACR. I'm searched it in the forum before but only shows threads on when people have first got them and their first look opinion.

I read one review against a PM-II and for the money they said buy the ATACR due to the price and your not missing much.

Anyways any help you can give would be great.

Cheers,
Josh

ATACR is a nice scope you wouldn't be disappointed, the only issue I had with it was it wouldn't focus closer than 100y. It is a long distance scope and it is superb for it's designed purpose

The ATACR was the first scope I bought so I don't have a lot of experience with other scopes or brands. However, I did use my friend's Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 and based on that felt like the quality of Nightforce was worth investing in. I love my ATACR. I was shooting steel out to 700 today just North of Austin. It was mid 80s with high humidity, and lots of mirage. The clarity through the scope is outstanding. I could easily see my hits on 8" steel at 655 yards. I would be surprised if anyone would be disappointed with an ATACR.

I have two, both MOA and love them, I also have a beast and for the extra 1000.00 I would just stick ATACR. No problems what so ever.

ATACR is a nice scope you wouldn't be disappointed, the only issue I had with it was it wouldn't focus closer than 100y. It is a long distance scope and it is superb for it's designed purpose

See that would be the down fall for me as some of my hunting is in close 50-80yds and then my range work is up to 1000yds. Maybe I should look at a USO 3.2-17 if they are any good

I shoot prairie dogs at less than 100 with my atacr and have no problem when the parallax adjustment clearing up....

Just to add, that's with a .17hmr which is only good to 250-300 at most. usually I am only shooting 25-110 yards, but I like to see the eyes pop out :)

I got 3 atacr moar-t one moar..like frank (lowlight)said maybe SB is little better but not no 1500-2000 better

I am not saying your wrong by any means, I am just giving my experience with the two I have, I also have one on a .308 that works wonders to 1450

I shoot prairie dogs at less than 100 with my atacr and have no problem when the parallax adjustment clearing up....

Well that's good to hear that with the parallax adjustment it's all good :) I'm still keen to get one but the new scope has to tick all the boxes as it's the last one I'll get for a bit

Ok so I see a lot of issues with it being SFP, honestly I dunno what I've used as only used cheap scopes. But I was scanning the web and come across the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 and the advantages I see are it being FFP, 12" long and 670g which seems good but honestly I'm unsure. It's a lot of money to make a wrong choice

It's a lot of money to make a wrong choice
That is a very true statement. My first advice for you is to put in your location in your profile as you may find there are others in your area that may have some optics for you to look through before making up your mind. I have SFP optics, Nightforce NXS, and also FFP optics such as Vortex, and USO. I tend to like FFP optics as it is easier for me, as I get older to use the reticle at any magnification, vice turning the knobs. My eyes are just not what they used to be so seeing numbers on the knob quickly is difficult. I would also look at the New Gen II Vortex optics as it is around the same price as an ATACR and is FFP. I have not looked through one but I do have a Gen I and I have zero complaints.

That is a very true statement. My first advice for you is to put in your location in your profile as you may find there are others in your area that may have some optics for you to look through before making up your mind. I have SFP optics, Nightforce NXS, and also FFP optics such as Vortex, and USO. I tend to like FFP optics as it is easier for me, as I get older to use the reticle at any magnification, vice turning the knobs. My eyes are just not what they used to be so seeing numbers on the knob quickly is difficult. I would also look at the New Gen II Vortex optics as it is around the same price as an ATACR and is FFP. I have not looked through one but I do have a Gen I and I have zero complaints.

Yeah I like the idea of being able to range and size stuff using the optic reticle. I will look into the vortex scopes and see what price they are. I know the beast is very expensive for what it offers.

I do like the smaller lighter scope as it will keep the overall weight down

The difficulty at the moment is finding a Vortex Gen II, 3-18 is $2199 and the 4.5 x 27 is going to be $2499...great price for the capabilities of the scope but they are not out enough in bulk to find them. It's coming but...don't know when it will be come easier to find.

The difficulty at the moment is finding a Vortex Gen II, 3-18 is $2199 and the 4.5 x 27 is going to be $2499...great price for the capabilities of the scope but they are not out enough in bulk to find them. It's coming but...don't know when it will be come easier to find.

I'm in Australia and they talking $3200 for the scope online. But I'll keep looking around

Ok so I see a lot of issues with it being SFP, honestly I dunno what I've used as only used cheap scopes. But I was scanning the web and come across the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 and the advantages I see are it being FFP, 12" long and 670g which seems good but honestly I'm unsure. It's a lot of money to make a wrong choice

The fact that the ATACR is a SFP scope is a huge issue for me. I am a big fan of NF scopes but their lack of offerings in FFP has had me get rid of my NF glass and gone to something else. If happy with a SFP scope its fine. I think NF is losing alot of business as a result. They say they listen to their customers but there has been a demand for more FFP scopes for years and they offer one more model. I would have been satisfied with a mil/mil NXS 5.5-22 in FFP let alone an ATACR.

Another option which I was going to purchase my self but could not wait, is the the new Burris XTRII series scopes, I believe they are all FFP and they offer a 5x25 for around 1100-1300
I believe this would be a nice option for the money. The look just like the NF scopes, although they do weight a tiny bit more

midway has a few for sale, even a 4x20
Burris Xtreme Tactical II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 5-25-x 50mm Side Focus

just another thought.

Another option which I was going to purchase my self but could not wait, is the the new Burris XTRII series scopes, I believe they are all FFP and they offer a 5x25 for around 1100-1300
I believe this would be a nice option for the money. The look just like the NF scopes, although they do weight a tiny bit more

midway has a few for sale, even a 4x20
Burris Xtreme Tactical II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 5-25-x 50mm Side Focus

just another thought.

Yeah I was looking at them on "theriflescopeshop" and they import to Australia daily so that helps but I have to weigh up the cost of shipping, import taxes and the possibility of it getting damaged in transport.

I'm going to my local shops today to see what they can do price wise and my workmates mum is GM nightforce Australia so might be able to get a good price there and answer my own question.

You mention you have two Atacr's. Need some help. I just got mine fitted onto a 300 win mag tikka tac 3.
I tried the full magnification at 100m and it would not focus clearly even after playing around with the adjustment the back. From your posts I gather that I should look at adjusting the parralax and I will surely try this. Why would paralax adjustment have any influence on the focus though, I thought paralax adjustment was merely there to stabilize the reticle.
Please help because my lack of knowledge of the scope settings is killing my excitement about the scope.

If you are looking for AMAZING glass with and do not care if it has SFP or FFP reticle then the NIGHTFORCE ATACR is a great way to go!

We have a used and display ATACR in stock. We can give good prices on them. Our Phone # 916.670.1103.
10565062_783009748408207_2742932681873418639_n.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICL

Last edited:
I checked one out here at Nightforce Aus.

if your after SFP id probably go for it, they are nice, or a cheaper 5-22nxs which you can get for great deals atm.

Mike at CS Tactical is good to go too!!

Last edited:
I have a Hensoldt 6-24x72mm. Blows the NF away. Won't last long

Thats a BIG Statement!! In what way does it blow the NF away?? Because as a Gun sight I don't believe it does at all.
For starters the NF can be mounted lower, has heaps more elevation adjustment and is over a $1000 cheaper!?!?!

Thats a BIG Statement!! In what way does it blow the NF away?? Because as a Gun sight I don't believe it does at all.
For starters the NF can be mounted lower, has heaps more elevation adjustment and is over a $1000 cheaper!?!?!

Don't waste your time with this guy. He's just trolling/hijacking peoples thread. Look at his previous post.......