• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NEW Mil-XT reticle

I like the look of this new reticle; I'm a big fan of holding over versus dialing and favor the center dot vs the crosshair. I still can't figure out why I didn't invent/patent the "Christmas tree" reticle 30 years ago when I was working with Al Gore on this thing called the internet.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Why address something that work perfectly fine?, only thing it does is giving you a big ass handle for the magnification.

I guess I don't see the need for a big ass handle. I do like my scope caps staying where I like them. As hk dave said above, I guess half of their customers like it. Seems like a common complaint, though.

Looks like a thoroughly modern design. I like a lot of things about it while a couple leave me a bit cold.

With SHOT next month, I will reserve judgement until I look through the scope with one of these.

ILya

Ill be interested to see what you guys think about the reticle if you are able to view them at SHOT.

Not a fan of the alternating stadia above/below the line. But it's the best reticle Nightforce has come out with so far.

I didn’t read all the post so my apologies if this has been asked. Will NF retrofit the XT in older ATACRs?
I can’t remember if they even retrofitted the MIL-C reticles.

I didn’t read all the post so my apologies if this has been asked. Will NF retrofit the XT in older ATACRs?
I can’t remember if they even retrofitted the MIL-C reticles.

They do but it's pricey as hell! I think you'll be better off taking a loss in the used market and purchasing another scope with your preferred reticle.

Koshkin, what leaves you cold about this reticle? I really liked this effort by NF, but now Burris has a tree of some sort I'm going to hold off. Should be interesting to see Burris' tree reticle.

Koshkin, what leaves you cold about this reticle? I really liked this effort by NF, but now Burris has a tree of some sort I'm going to hold off. Should be interesting to see Burris' tree reticle.

Cold is not quite the right word. I think it is better than anything else I have seen from Nightforce/Horus.

It is just that I want to see it in person.

There are two things that concern me.

One is that the grid goes all the way down to the bottom of the image on low magnification. That is more clutter than I want at low power. Also, most scopes pick up parallax once you get away from the center if the FOV at low mag and do so asymmetrically. That is a concern.

Another is the number of half mil dots. While I find them very useful, I want to see how they look in a scope.

ILya

Last edited:
Can they PLEASE stick this thing in an NXS F1 or SHV F1 so I can stop thinking about going all Vortex for familiarities sake across rifle platforms (.22LR - 6.5CM - SR25 - AR15)

Reactions: TIMMYTOY
Cold is not quite the right word. I think it is better than anything else I have seen from Nightforce/Horus.

It is just that I want to see it in person.

There are two things that concern me.

One is that the grid goes all the way down to the bottom of the image on low magnification. That is more clutter than I want at low power. Also, most scopes pick up parallax once you get away from the center if the FOV at low mag and do so asymmetrically. That is a concern.

Another is the number of half mil dots. While I find them very useful, I want to see how they look in a scope.

ILya

So, your concern with the parallax at low mag is the reticle will lend to people tending to use the reticle for hold overs and thus missing more due to this, or is there something else?

So, your concern with the parallax at low mag is the reticle will lend to people tending to use the reticle for hold overs and thus missing more due to this, or is there something else?

My primary concern/comment is that I do nto see a need to extend the grid 20+mrad down. With a scope of this type, when I dial the magnification down, I am looking for something a good portion of the time and I do not see the need to have a grid there. It blocks come parts of the FOV and I will never use anything beyond 12mrad or so. I have scopes on hand with the grid extending down to 10 mrad (TT< Vortex, etc) and 12 mrad (Delta) of holdover and that is about as much as I need. More than I need in most cases.

I guess the only potential application I can think of is if you use the reticle for shooting long distance with subsonics.

Aside from the visibility issues, if you have dialed parallax out in the center of the FOV, it does not necessarily mean that it is dialed out toward the edges. The amount of accumulated parallax error varies from scope to scope and varies depending on the setting of the elevation and windage turrets. It is just a can of worms I'd rather not open.

Most modern scope are corrected well for none of this to be an issue 10-12 mrad away from center. Further out, it can be a crapshoot.

Aside from that, this seems like a nice reticle, so I look forward to seeing it.

ILya

Can anybody chime in if you've been able to use this...any Nightforce NRL/PRS shooters? Thoughts?

It's not even out yet, how could anybody give feedback? :ROFLMAO:

I think he’s asking for sponsored shooters who may be testing/running it, which is possible.

I wouldn’t bet on anyone answering or giving an unbiased opinion at this point though. If they do have any concerns with the reticle, they are going to be discussing with NF, not an open forum.

Reactions: Basher
I suppose that could be possible, but I made my comment along the lines of the second half of your post. Regular joes don't have it, and if anybody's already running in "beta," they're likely doing so under an NDA.

I think he’s asking for sponsored shooters who may be testing/running it, which is possible.

I wouldn’t bet on anyone answering or giving an unbiased opinion at this point though. If they do have any concerns with the reticle, they are going to be discussing with NF, not an open forum.

I just assumed that since the reticle has it's own article in Recoil magazine its been hashed (no pun intended) out already and wouldn't violate any NDA...?

I just assumed that since the reticle has it's own article in Recoil magazine its been hashed (no pun intended) out already and wouldn't violate any NDA...?

I don’t disagree with that logic.

Just think it will be hard to find anyone willing to objectively criticize anything about as the only people who might be using it are brand reps.

Reactions: Basher

Good point, but the article's fairly recent. Anyone under an NDA may still be restricted depending on the terms of it, but even if they're not, @Dthomas3523 makes a valid point about brand reps. I'd give it a little time yet, SHOT's just around the corner!

Good point, but the article's fairly recent. Anyone under an NDA may still be restricted depending on the terms of it, but even if they're not, @Dthomas3523 makes a valid point about brand reps. I'd give it a little time yet, SHOT's just around the corner!
True. I will look at them at SHOT.

I guess I don't see the need for a big ass handle. I do like my scope caps staying where I like them. As hk dave said above, I guess half of their customers like it. Seems like a common complaint, though.

I never liked NF's reticles until Mil-C came out, so I then bought my first NF...5-25 ATACR. I couldn't get past the entire occular spinning and sold it. Just flat-out didn't like it....no sense fighting it. If this indeed has been changed, I would love to get another, especially with this reticle.

Not sure if it's been posted but I heard through the grape vine that nightforce should begin taking orders for the MIL-XT towards the end of this month. The 7x35 "start shipping by February" and the 5x25 and 4x16 in March/April. "Tentative" I didnt get an update on pricing but my guess is not having to pay Horus their cut it should be 300 to 400 cheaper...

Not sure if it's been posted but I heard through the grape vine that nightforce should begin taking orders for the MIL-XT towards the end of this month. The 7x35 "start shipping by February" and the 5x25 and 4x16 in March/April. "Tentative" I didnt get an update on pricing but my guess is not having to pay Horus their cut it should be 300 to 400 cheaper...

Didn't you agree to buy @hic28 7-35x Mil-C? But all of the sudden nowhere to be found...... But that's none of my business

I thought NF owned Horus. Either way, I wouldn't count on a lower price for these.

Yea I think nightforce bought Horus in 2016 ish but looking at the LEO price list or Optics planet, the H59 and T3 are 400 more than the Mil-C and Mil-R. Just speculation here but thought it would be more in line with the non horus pricing.

Didn't you agree to buy @hic28 7-35x Mil-C? But all of the sudden nowhere to be found...... But that's none of my business
Your battle buddy and I spoke today, I dropped the ball on him yesterday; my fault. Glad to see you Cali boys look out for each other. Looks like he got it sold this evening, he seemed like a pretty straight shooter. Not quite sure why you needed to add your two cents as it's a bit off topic.

Nightforce Optics didn't buy Horus Vision directly, Ray Dennis Group, which also owns Nightforce Optics and other companies, bought Horus Vision and rolled it into Horus Vision Reticle Technologies.

They're two separate companies, not much different then before, so NF still has to buy reticles from HVRT and HVRT also sells them to other companies to use in their optics. The only difference is that the revenue from those sales finds its way back to Ray Dennis Group now, so in effect NF keeps making money, Horus keeps making money, and Ray Dennis now makes more money. Us poor slubs, well we just keep spending it.

Looks like a rip off of the H59. To much shit in your scope.

NF 0-37 in the reticle department. Keep swinging, maybe they will get it right eventually. Or just license the XR Gen 2, SMKR3, EBR-C2 or G3.

Euro Optics just listed prices for the MIL-XT for back order:
ATACR 5-25x56mm 2,999
ATACR 4-16x42mm 2,425
ATACR 4-16x50mm 2,425
ATACR 7-35x56mm 3,492 *Same price as the Mil-C and Mil-R

The H59 and T3 are still listed at $3,880...

I've attached the reticle dimensions.

Attachments

• NFO_Mil-XT_Final_17Dec18_0.pdf
    688.9 KB · Views: 134
I'm going to test the waters this Christmas by wrapping up an old scope box. I'm going to pretend it's my brand new scope. If I survive I may end up with one. If not, it's been a good time

It does look really good. Havent considered a NF due to lakc of options in reticles (i like the H59,but like the Kahles SKMR3 even better) ... this looks good.

Euro Optics just listed prices for the MIL-XT for back order:
ATACR 5-25x56mm 2,999
ATACR 4-16x42mm 2,425
ATACR 4-16x50mm 2,425
ATACR 7-35x56mm 3,492 *Same price as the Mil-C and Mil-R

The H59 and T3 are still listed at $3,880...

I've attached the reticle dimensions.
I was set to lock in schmidty T3 to go on a new 6.5 build. I’ll wait til after shot to listen to all the takes. I’ve shot the T3 for awhile but I like what I see. Likely a 7-35 to start and then 4-16s for a couple of my ol dogs. The scope helps but it’s still the nut driving that determines a hit or miss. I’d like to take these to a dog town in Malta to try for 1200yds. Standing by for evaluations at SHOT.

Not trying to revive a fading thread, but how long does it take the supply to catch up to demand once the new scopes are released? Anyone remember when the Mil-C became readily available after release?

Not trying to revive a fading thread, but how long does it take the supply to catch up to demand once the new scopes are released? Anyone remember when the Mil-C became readily available after release?
Nightforce was pretty good w/ the 1-8 releases a little while back.

That price increase killed it for me. Way to screw up NF. Screw that. Especially when, to my eyes, looks identical in glass clarity.

Satan has a new reticle I hear...

Kahles 6-66x scopes will now feature the BRN/4EvA reticle - it's always illuminated and has 4 mil thick crosshairs. MOA turrets of course, made out of lead with sand lubricant!

Classic Snipers Hide.

Horus Reticles and Todd Hodnett? = THE DEVIL!

NF Mil XT reticle? = OMG, I love it! ?

They are 95% the same reticle and you still have to pay NF the same premium price over the standard line of reticles. ?

(I mean there is literally a thread on here that is a bash session gang-bang titled Todd Hodnett is the devil)

H59 is pretty well received it seems.

T3 is where you start getting a lot of complaining about Hodnett. I believe that thread was almost specifically about T3.

Mil-XT is definitely not in the T3 area. H59, yes.

Also, it doesn’t take a lot of changes to make something more or less appealing for someone’s eyes.