• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NPR1 question?

utahcybercowboy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2008
Utah, Sandy
Why does Nightforce go with 2 moa hash marks on the windage. I think I would like to see the 1 moa on the windage not just on the elevation. I was using that to range on some targets across the shoulders and I thought that 1 moa would have been helpful for a more precise measurement. I am new to this and still learning.

What reticle is generally considered the best to range with? I am intrigued with the TMR reticle and on the edges that it has hash marks for I believe .20 mils. I would be interested in seeing something like that on the edge of the reticle on the npr1 but in MOA.

Steve

Re: Nightforce NPR1 question?

If I were to guess on the 2moa hash windage would be to keep that reticle from obstructing view, especially when illumination is on. I always have my illumination set as low as possible when I need it, just to keep the red glare out of my field of view and I have the NPR2 which has even less precise hashes than the NPR1.

I am not sure which nightforce you are looking for, but I noticed looking on their site the other day, they have three new reticles not yet listed on the site but mentioned in this .pdf document. Its mentioned halfway down the page, and the reticle is in the background of the article. It is also mentioned in the bottom right corner under reticle options.

http://nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERV...-10x32_1_09.pdf

heres quote from the article

<span style="font-size: 8pt"><span style="font-style: italic">"A family of three revolutionary new ballistic reticles, designed
specifically for the hunter, is now available with our 2.5-10 x 32 and
2.5-10 x 24 scopes. Elevation lines are marked in 100-yard intervals to
600 yards (as well as 50-yard increments between 300 and 600 yards).
Windage compensation is marked in 5 and 10 mph increments.
Each reticle is tailored to low-, medium- or high-velocity cartridges,
providing a precise, accurate bullet drop reference for virtually any
hunting caliber. Simple and highly effective, <span style="font-weight: bold">our new “smart” reticle
system is up to twice as fast as traditional rangefinding reticles.</span>
Determine your zero, and there is no need for a drop chart, turret
adjustments or other complicated calculations."</span></span>

It sounds like that might be in your ballpark no?

Good to see more options coming out. How do you range find with that reticle? Looks good for bdc and windage, but only out to 600.

U.S. Optics has some reticle options I am interested in but I can't get myself to buy a scope without ever looking thru one.

I don't know who will be at the NRA Show but I hope to look thru as many scopes as I can.

+ 1 on buying a scope I've never looked through. But I have a npr1 in my night force and it's pretty simple to range with. But I use a range finder almost all the time to be sure I didn't eff it up. Because we all know @ 1000yrds 25yrds means either a hit or miss with a lil .308.