• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes nightforce vs usoptics

Re: US Optics or NightForce???

I have heard that the occasional NightForce comes from the factory with issues needing the scope to be returned to the factory. NightForce does take care of them though if you decide to go that route.

When shopping for a scope though I wanted something that could always be trusted so I ordered a USO. Surely they have the occasional issue as well otherwise they wouldn't need a customer service department, but they are truly top notch guys and I have never heard a bad thing about their products.

I've owned both NF and USO, just sold my last NF to repalce with an SN3.

NF glass is good, that damned rotating ocular always bugged me, the illumination was a pain to adjust. Tracking was dead-nutz, no eye relief problems, got a good deal on it many years ago.

Replaced with SN3 because I got a great deal, EREK is worth the price of admission - or it will be after the first time you get lost on the dial - glass is good, eye relief is good, my Butler Creek doesn't move when I change power, and my interactions with USO have been outstanding.

I like Nightforce, they make a great scope at a reasonable price (less reasonable as time goes on); however, I'd say if you have the means to go to USO, you will probably not be disappointed. Everyone cannot afford a $2k+ scope, so get a Nightforce, but do it fast - they are getting close to that $2k line, and have gone WAY over on the zerostop F1.

Both are great, in the end, it's personal.

Chevy sucks.

I like my USO SN-3 becuase of the MPR reticle, EREK knob, and MIL scope adjustment values. Both USO and Nightforce send bullets downrange equally well, but I just like the features USO has to offer.

As with all things in life it just comes down to how much you are willing to pay for it $$$

I looking hard at the SN-3 1.8-10x44 w/ the 1/2 MOA EREK knob and the US #1 M40 style windage 1/4 MOA knob.

Not sure what reticle to get - I like the MilDot, but how would that work with MOA adjustment knobs?? I am new to the long range game, so if some of my questions don't make sense- forgive my ignorance.

I seen a scope for sale on here(I think was a Snipers Hide build?) that had the Mildot reticle with the same elevation and windage adjustments (1/2 MOA EREK and 1/4 MOA Windage) I am interested in.

I just want to make sure before I place an order!!

Which ever scope you get, make sure to have the adjustments match the reticle. If you want MOA adjustments, get a MOA reticle. Like wise if you want a mildot reticle, get mil adjustments.

Need a reticle that is good for hunting and also good for long range shooting - any suggestions??

Re: nightforce vs usoptics

NF only from a price point. If you take money out of the equation USO wins from every aspect. ruggedness, moa reticle has more hold over, USO unconditional service, focal plain, erek knob, color choice, customization... list keeps going.

NXS illumination is just on and off (benchrest is adjustable), USO is adjustable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> NXS illumination is just on and off (benchrest is adjustable), USO is adjustable.
</div></div>

It's adjustable on the NXS, it's just not easily done in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need a reticle that is good for hunting and also good for long range shooting - any suggestions?? </div></div>

Get the GAP if your into Mils.

Cheers,

Doc

I've owned 7 night force nxs's they have all been sold and or replaced with USO. USO is superior in every way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Chevy sucks. </div></div>

pfft </div></div>

You learn something new every day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> NXS illumination is just on and off (benchrest is adjustable), USO is adjustable.
</div></div>

It's adjustable on the NXS, it's just not easily done in the field. </div></div>

How is that? the parallax knob is pulled out and pushed in? How do you adjust its brightness setting? do you turn it after you pull it out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> NXS illumination is just on and off (benchrest is adjustable), USO is adjustable.
</div></div>

It's adjustable on the NXS, it's just not easily done in the field. </div></div>

How is that? the parallax knob is pulled out and pushed in? How do you adjust its brightness setting? do you turn it after you pull it out? </div></div>

Remove the parallax cap, adjust the tiny screw underneath... DONE! Not really "field" adjustable, but pretty painless.

For reference, you can find the instructions (with a picture of the screw) in the owners manual : NXS Owner's Manual
It's on page 5.

NXS for me best bang for your buck! As stated above though if money is not the issue it would be a USO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELLINGTON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NXS for me best bang for your buck! As stated above though if money is not the issue it would be a USO! </div></div>

NF are 1500+ a customized USO 1800-2000. $300-$500 more and fully customized. Best bang for your buck is USO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELLINGTON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NXS for me best bang for your buck! As stated above though if money is not the issue it would be a USO! </div></div>

NF are 1500+ a customized USO 1800-2000. $300-$500 more and fully customized. Best bang for your buck is USO
</div></div>

On USO's site an SN3 w/ TPAL starts at over $2K before any customization. And this is for a non-lit reticle. Adding a lit-reticle brings you to just over $2300 to start.

I got my first USO lst year in the group buy and pulled out my Leupold, NXS, Nikon, and S&B one evening. It's difficult to notice a difference in bright sunlight, but at low/no light there is a major difference. I put each scope on 5x and compared the treeline at 300 yards with and without NVG's. Addmittedly, 5x is not exactly the same in each scope and the objective diameters were not all the same, 50mm in the Leupold and Nikon, 56mm in the others. I'd rank them in this order:
1 S&B
2 USO
3 Leupold
4 Nikon
5 Nightforce

This is soley based on my observations of the performance of the glass. Throw in other factors such as useability, ergonomics, etc... and it looks like this:

1 USO
2 SB
3 NXS
4 Nikon
5 Leupold

Throw in price/feature for the best deals

1 Nikon
2 Leupold
3 USO
4 NXS
5 SB

Wow, Leupold better in low light than NXS?

My experience with both brans would say you have the best Leupold ever made - or the worst Nightforce.

Perhaps I do, who knows.

No one should be foolish enough to assume one data point leads to a trend and certainly not proof. WE would need at least 30 scopes of each brand, light meters, official AF optics test boards, and a specific methodology to follow before drawing any conclusions.

I know this is an old post, but to answer your question you should check out Horus Vision's reticles. I know US Optics offers them in all their scopes. I had some time behind a Horus Reticle, and would never go with anything else ever again. To recommend a reticle for you, I would go with the H25. Its good for medium-long range (out to 1500 meters) and has a rangefinding grid in the left in inches. If you are doing extreme long range shooting/hunting, I would recommend the H37. I dont work for Horus, but will live and die by them. Also, the military and special operations community feel that a Horus Reticle needs to be in their scopes. I would take that on how awesome Horus Reticles are.
Being a sniper in the Army, and getting to test out a lot of different set-ups, Horus always has my vote. Just my two cents though.

I have to agree with dcshoo11 about the horus reticle. although I prefer the H58. NF FFP 3.5-15 with the H58 is a damn good scope. I do however, hate the NF zero stop. Snap one of those four screws and you are suckin indeed! you can still shove a screw driver into the slot and zero the thing, but then you can't dial anymore. Thank god for the horus reticle.