• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon FX-1000

My elevation and windage clicks feel the same. I closed my eyes and counted up and down various MRAD numbers and always came out to the correct value.
Same here. The Mil version I played with had good detents.

I knew I should have gotten the mrad version, joking. I'm glad you guys have had positive experiences with the scopes you have or handled. Its nice to hear positive feedback from others.Hoping to have a good experience with their warranty/Customer service, we shall see.

I’ve got a 6-24 mrad on the way, purchase for less than msrp. I’ll post up my thoughts on it although I don’t have experience with anything nicer! Previous optic was a SWFA ss fixed 10.

I shot mine today. It took exactly 2 rounds to sight it in, I removed my bolt and eyeballed down the bore to the target at 100 yrds then adjusted the reticle. It’s fantastic so far and I can’t wait to shoot at longer ranges.

Reactions: Bulldog10
Talked to Nikon today and pretty much heard what I expected to, we have a service center in Los Angeles and we can send you a shipping label. No thanks, I paid for a brand new scope not a factory refurbished scope, which I told them. They told me to return it to the seller(basically pound sand) they were nice about it tho, which I am going to for a full refund. And most likely buy a different scope. The seller is out of stock on this unit, and waiting up to two weeks for delivery (been there done that). Nikon couldn't give a rats ass if you were inconvenienced with a factory defective unit. I would feel different if I even got to use it before the problem showed up. Out of full transparency Vincent, and Jessica which was the supervisor was who I talked to in the Nikon sport optics division

I haven't tested this with Nikon, but my "factory refurbished" Burris XTR II is much, much better than it was out of the box. In other words, I broke it, they fixed it , and it came back in 10 days better than brand new. My assumption is the people doing the warranty work are probably more particular than the people assembling them in the Philippines. Also, my assumption is that after most companies fix your scope they are going to test it to make sure they send you back a fixed scope. The "new" ones are likely only batch tested and not individually tested.

I really appreciate the response, I really do. But I'm hung up on the fact I didn't break it or get to use it. So I'm a less than satisfied customer. In a perfect world I would have got a perfectly functioning scope and mounted it, shot with it and been happy.... reality,.not so much. I swear to God I have a Nikon pro staff 3x9x40 that has significantly better/functioning detents in the elevation turret than the fx1000 I have, which the windage turret functions perfect. If Nikon doesn't want to make it right then it is what it is.

I really appreciate the response, I really do. But I'm hung up on the fact I didn't break it or get to use it. So I'm a less than satisfied customer. In a perfect world I would have got a perfectly functioning scope and mounted it, shot with it and been happy.... reality,.not so much. I swear to God I have a Nikon pro staff 3x9x40 that has significantly better/functioning detents in the elevation turret than the fx1000 I have, which the windage turret functions perfect. If Nikon doesn't want to make it right then it is what it is.
I don't see a problem here. Nikon gave you two solid options, return to them for service or return it to the vendor. Either way you're going to be made whole.

Nikon works on the same business principles as pretty much all the larger consumer based companies. The warranty process is NOT something that they are created for. Instead, the warranty process was created to support the selling of items. Since this is true you will see that they pretty much have a textbook warranty process, the same as all the other big companies. The methods for business are pretty standard, they only difference we normally see is when a company blows you off. They said you could return the item to the vendor and get your money back, or send it in for repair. I don't see how this differs from any company I have ever had to do warranty repair with.

Reactions: jafo96
I don't see a problem here. Nikon gave you two solid options, return to them for service or return it to the vendor. Either way you're going to be made whole.
Nikon only give me one option, and that is repair of a brand new unused scope that left them defective. Like I said if I wanted a factory reconditioned scope that is what I would have bought and as such would be accordingly discounted. They have what they call a no fault warranty/exchange policy. This situation in my opinion qualifies for exchange. Obviously you and I disagree with this. The second option for return is strictly between optics planet and I, not Nikon. But optics planet does offer a refund/exchange policy which is now in my best interest to utilize. understand if I even used this thing one time then it broke, there would be no problem I would send it in for repair and go about my day.

Its still a brand new scope if they fix it. You or anyone else has not used it yet so it's not reconditioned or refurbished. Those scopes are used and then re-sold to a 2nd customer. That's the difference.

Its still a brand new scope if they fix it. You or anyone else has not used it yet so it's not reconditioned or refurbished. Those scopes are used and then re-sold to a 2nd customer. That's the difference.
We'll by your logic they should have no problem replacing my scope with a new one, to decrease my wait time for a scope I already paid for and to say sorry we sent you a bad unit to begin with. I get a scope back in my possession faster and they can Fix and sell as new the one I send back.

Reactions: Bulldog10
yeah i guess for a brand new scope i'd really just want it replaced. it's kinda bs that with a new scope i'd have to send it off and wait yet again for repair and shipping. i'd think with a brand new model that nikon would want it back for qc purposes before a million of these get out in the field. fortunately it sounds like the OP can return the scope to OP (funny how that worked out...) for a full refund, not sure how shipping is handled.

We'll by your logic they should have no problem replacing my scope with a new one, to decrease my wait time for a scope I already paid for and to say sorry we sent you a bad unit to begin with. I get a scope back in my possession faster and they can Fix and sell as new the one I send back.

Maybe they don't have one there to offer you that as an option right now, idk.

yeah i guess for a brand new scope i'd really just want it replaced. it's kinda bs that with a new scope i'd have to send it off and wait yet again for repair and shipping.

Kinda the gamble you play with Philippine made optics. They are getting a lot better but they are still not in the same league as Japan made imports.

Maybe Nikon reps on this forum could chime in and help solve the problem? Does not look like this is in Nikon's best interest!

Well guys I'm a little bummed. I think I'm going to have to send mine back too. There's a speck of dust on the first focal plane lens. It's in the left upper corner and I somehow did not notice it when sighting in on Sunday (I was at higher magnification). It's visible when zoomed out to 4-6x. I made a video on google drive with my iphone, it's not amazing quality but it shows the speck. The rep I talked to was really nice and said it has to go in for repair if the speck is indeed internal.

Can someone confirm that is indeed an internal speck of dust? I'm pretty sure it has to be since it's in focus with the reticle and stays in the same relative position.

Nikon FX1000 speck on lens

Google drive video

Mechanically the scope has been perfect for me, I just hate to have to send it back but the dust is a little annoying.

Yes, that looks like debris on the inside. It's not uncommon.

US Optics used to recommend you hit the scope against a phone book (on a table), to knock it off the lens. Good luck finding a phone book these days.

Thanks for the replies. Oh man if I can knock it loose that would be great. I don't want to send it in for something that easy.

[edit] well I tried that a few times and didn't have any luck moving it. I'll just send it in and let the pros do it.

[edit x2] just got back from the UPS store. They wanted $83 to ship it insured from Seattle to Los Angeles. No thanks, I can live with a speck of dust.

Last edited:
I work for a phone company, bout 1000 old books laying around if you need one lol. Hope it works

Thanks for the replies. Oh man if I can knock it loose that would be great. I don't want to send it in for something that easy.

[edit] well I tried that a few times and didn't have any luck moving it. I'll just send it in and let the pros do it.

[edit x2] just got back from the UPS store. They wanted $83 to ship it insured from Seattle to Los Angeles. No thanks, I can live with a speck of dust.

Call their Customer Service department tomorrow, explain your issue, direct them to the thread on Snipers Hide, and ask them to provide you a return merchandise authorization (RMA) label so they can repair the brand new scope under warranty. Worth a try!

Call their Customer Service department tomorrow, explain your issue, direct them to the thread on Snipers Hide, and ask them to provide you a return merchandise authorization (RMA) label so they can repair the brand new scope under warranty. Worth a try!

I will get you the link to start your return via PM.
I'm sure I can help you get taken care of correctly.

Impressive! I expected Nikon to let this slide and try to rely on their warranty and not go above and beyond. I am glad to see you stepping up to represent the FX1000. It just confirms to me that I am doing the right thing by saving my shekels until I can afford one. I know it isn't high end, super expensive glass to some but it is a big purchase to me, and it is within my budget by enough to allow me to get some decent rings with it.

Reactions: bman940
Bart (bman940),

Very happy to see you step forward and get involved to help "wpierce" get his scope taken care of.

I am sure your offer of assistance as a Nikon Pro Staff member will make his evening and goes a long way in encouraging others to consider purchasing Nikon products in the future. Including myself!

Thanks for participating on the Hide! (y)

Working on getting WP taken care of with no expense at all from him. I'm sure he will keep you posted of the progress. As always, drop me a note with any question's/concern's or suggestion's you might have that are Nikon related. I do freelance work with Nikon, I do not work directly for them. I helpe3d out at SHOT Show again this year and get to get my hands on all the new product's heading your way. I do not do any sales at all. Happy to help.

Reactions: wpierce
Yes he’s making sure it isn’t going to cost me anything to have it shipped in and taken care of. Thanks for the help bman940!

I’m at work all day today and will be mailing it in tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted.

Working on getting WP taken care of with no expense at all from him. I'm sure he will keep you posted of the progress. As always, drop me a note with any question's/concern's or suggestion's you might have that are Nikon related. I do freelance work with Nikon, I do not work directly for them. I helpe3d out at SHOT Show again this year and get to get my hands on all the new product's heading your way. I do not do any sales at all. Happy to help.
The guy bought a brand new scope. Showed the problem, which I'm sure he didn't inject dust into a sealed scope(suppose it's possible he could have). Why should there ever be any expense afforded to him to correct the problem with a new scope.

Reactions: ringing steel
Black, I agree 100% with you. He was going to pay for postage and I'm just showing him how will take care of him from shipping it down and back to making things right. It's not me doing it, I'm just showing WP how to do it the right way. Plain and simple.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I received my pre-paid shipping label today. It's recommended that you call Nikon direct and request the label as the automated system does not assign one through the website. Will keep you guys in the loop on the rest of the process. Thanks!

I got my scope from Optics Planet through Amazon. I'm pretty happy with it. I mounted it on my Ruger RPR and with the 20 MOA base I have 13.2 mils of usable up travel. That would get me to about 1350 yards about the same distance that my loads would go subsonic.
ye4Nv5H8Tsuwt12XPjYvbg.jpg

Reactions: Bender and bman940
I am glad i stumbled across this thread. I am looking for a good scope to put on my rem 700 gen 2 300 wm. i was looking at the vortex or sig sauer tango4, but this peaked my interest. Any one receive this scope yet and have any thoughts?

sport optics spring13 13% off, got me one (4-16 in MOA).

I just ordered the 4-16x MRAD Illuminated for a new Aero M5 build. They still have non-illuminated versions of the 4-16 for $562.85 and both 6-24 versions for $693.35 after 13% discount.

Anyone able to offer more insight on the glass? Just wondering if it compares to scopes like XTR II / T5xi / Viper PST.

I got my 6-24 mrad last Tuesday. Mounted it in tps short rings on a 0 moa egw rail on my .308. I have 11.6 mils of vertical left after zero. The glass looks fantastic to me, the clicks are extremely positive and tactile and the reticle is very usable and user friendly. The zero stop is simple to set and WILL NOT let you adjust past it. I didn’t really mess around with the illumination very much. Overall I am very happy about this purchase. Time will be the true test as to how durable it will be. I plan on using it for local prs club matches and feel that it is up to the task.

Thank you for the post, Matt. I look forward to your range report and hopefully pics as well. Great to hear that you like the zero stop and that you found it easy to set. I have posted a video showing the ease of setting the zero stop on the BLACK FX1000.

I got my 6-24 mrad last Tuesday. Mounted it in tps short rings on a 0 moa egw rail on my .308. I have 11.6 mils of vertical left after zero. The glass looks fantastic to me, the clicks are extremely positive and tactile and the reticle is very usable and user friendly. The zero stop is simple to set and WILL NOT let you adjust past it. I didn’t really mess around with the illumination very much. Overall I am very happy about this purchase. Time will be the true test as to how durable it will be. I plan on using it for local prs club matches and feel that it is up to the task.
How was the glass? Opinion I know...

How was the glass? Opinion I know...
The glass is great, I am blown away by the image quality for the price. Clear to the edges on all magnifications. Good clear, crisp image. Easily on par with, if not surpassing the PST gen II. This is my first Nikon scope and, again, I am thoroughly impressed with what I got for the price.

Reactions: Bender and bman940
got my f1 4-16 today. not mounted but just looking thru it, i like it. what i don't like is the extended parallax knob on the left combined with the brightness setting. sticks WAY out. this is going on a lefty bolt gun (starting with a cz452 rimfire i have on order, perhaps switching over to a rem 700 or similar hunting rifle later), hope it won't block or interfere with ejection. dialing felt a step down from my NF NXS but at a third of the price it wasn't night and day different.

New guy here but not new too looking through glass at long distances. Nikon's glass quality is second to none in its price range. I have carried swaro el 10x42 since they came out, have spent weeks peering through swaro 15x56 at very long range they are the best imho. I needed
Another pair of high mag binocs for my brother on a sheep hunt last year. Many hunters will read reviews on the birding sites because those are honest unsponsered opinions. The Nikon 15 and 20 mark5 are very highly rated. I grabbed a pair of 20x56 and he carried those. He was able to find sheep at 4.5 miles. Long story short..
Binocs or scopes glass is glass and nikon is good to go. You get what you pay for here.
Sorry if this is outta place but it may help someone.

New guy here but not new too looking through glass at long distances. Nikon's glass quality is second to none in its price range. I have carried swaro el 10x42 since they came out, have spent weeks peering through swaro 15x56 at very long range they are the best imho. I needed
Another pair of high mag binocs for my brother on a sheep hunt last year. Many hunters will read reviews on the birding sites because those are honest unsponsered opinions. The Nikon 15 and 20 mark5 are very highly rated. I grabbed a pair of 20x56 and he carried those. He was able to find sheep at 4.5 miles. Long story short..
Binocs or scopes glass is glass and nikon is good to go. You get what you pay for here.
Sorry if this is outta place but it may help someone.
FYI. The scope line and camera line are not related in any fashion. But I still have high hopes for them.

I got the 6-24 F1 and I also have a PST Gen2 I will say the glass is probably as good, but I wouldn't say it is better. I do like the Zero Stop a lot better it's way easier to set and you can set it at or below exactly where you want it. There is not currently another scope on the market that can touch it for the same money......IMO

FYI. The scope line and camera line are not related in any fashion. But I still have high hopes for them.
Thanks for the info, I looked through one of these scopes today and stand by my statement that this is the best glass in its price range. I hope mechanically they prove to be as good.

Reactions: Bender
Thanks for the info, I looked through one of these scopes today and stand by my statement that this is the best glass in its price range. I hope mechanically they prove to be as good.

The Sightron SIII’s are in this same price range. Do you think it beats those, because they have some impressive glass for the money.

The Sightron SIII’s are in this same price range. Do you think it beats those, because they have some impressive glass for the money.
My only experiance with Sightron was a SII, which I thought comparable to my gen I pst so I can't answer your question with a valid opinion.

I received a brand new scope back from Nikon today. They also returned my caps and rings along with the new scope. Now I’ve got two sunshades and an extra lens cloth!

In the future I would suggest not shipping any personal accessories with the scope. It caused a small delay as they had to ship the new scope to the center and then box it with my rings and caps.

Anyway I’m an extremely happy camper right now. The new scope is pristine and doesn’t seem to have an issues with dust on the reticle or turret problems like one of the previous guy’s did. Great tactile feel. I’m excited to re-zero.

Thanks to bman940 with his help on getting a free shipping label. Otherwise the Nikon return process was fairly smooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo96 and Bender