• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No LR Ranges in my area...How do I get invloved?

Looks like I need to buy a "Prone Mat"! :)

I'm not sure what Christensen Accuracy Guarantee is...heck I'll look it up....wow...looks like "Sub MOA".
I don't know how many rounds you have down your 308 -- but you can always turn it into a 6.5-08 (260 Remington) or Creedmoor when it's time.

I really want a PRS centerfire rifle. ...but realistically, there's only a few places to shoot the thing here outside DC.

So I went rimfire. Shooting a few inch steel target at 200yds is indeed something of a challenge with a .22. It's more of a challenge off a swinging mesh net or out of a steel cage and an even bigger challenge to make X hits in 90sec

M
I actually have a Savage A22M (.22 wmr) w/ a Vortex 4-12X40 Diamondback scope and love plinking with it out at the ranges max 200yds...it took me a bit of benching the BCG and deburring the captured firing pin to get it running reliably but it runs great now...zero FTF's the last couple times out...I also believe the delayed blow-back system needed to cycle through a few hundred rounds to break in but it sure is inexpensive and surprisingly capable fun! :)
IMG_4455.JPG

I don't know how many rounds you have down your 308 -- but you can always turn it into a 6.5-08 (260 Remington) or Creedmoor when it's time.
I'm not certain how many rounds I have through the FN but I think it's probably just under 500 if I had to guess...weird thing is it seems it as well went through a break-in where I figured this rifle blew chunks with me struggling to hold 1 1/2-2 MOA the 1st 100 rounds but as the round count grew?...the group sizes shrunk....this past Friday morning (2 days ago) I managed a 1.187 group of 5 from 200yds...posted about it here...

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/had-a-great-morning-w-shorty.7129391/

Reactions: sinister
Was there a question? Who’s asking?

I’ll just finish with this. In Florida, where our true ELR opportunities are limited, I get much more use out of my .260 (6.5) than I do my .338 LM (309 win). Yes, an approximate comparison, but if your only criteria is longer barrel life, you need to know that I bet on a 6.5 Creedmoor over a 300 WM when both are mid-high velocity loaded.

On the other hand, if what you’re after is more lethality at 1000+ yards, then it’s another thing altogether. My suggestion, go with a 6.5 first and then, if you really like it, save up and build the boomer you want. Nothing says it must be one or the other.

Was there a question? Who’s asking?

I’ll just finish with this. In Florida, where our true ELR opportunities are limited, I get much more use out of my .260 (6.5) than I do my .338 LM (309 win). Yes, an approximate comparison, but if your only criteria is longer barrel life, you need to know that I bet on a 6.5 Creedmoor over a 300 WM when both are mid-high velocity loaded.

On the other hand, if what you’re after is more lethality at 1000+ yards, then it’s another thing altogether. My suggestion, go with a 6.5 first and then, if you really like it, save up and build the boomer you want. Nothing says it must be one or the other.
Hmmm...makes sense and even though I was leaning more towards lethality with the mindset that the 300wm's primary mission scope would be a shtf distance keeper?...now thanks to this thread and all the LR Ranges that have been brought to my attention?...maybe just playing the game would be a lot more fun because along with an abundance of recoil?...300WM is pretty freaking expensive these days (for the good stuff and why shoot anything else?)...this sux cause the local Bass Pro has a 6.5 Bergara B-14 HMR in the rack for like $969...they also have a NF SHV on the shelf for $1,349....and I got a clean club member card...damn. LOL!

• Love
Reactions: sinister and lash
Altus, OK or Altus Research Ctr in Lake Worth, FL?

Notice I didn't say "Ex"...I prefix my service with "Former" out of respect for those who are still actively serving...which I no longer am.

View attachment 7899674

LOL...I get it and yes..my much younger coworker shoots a Ruger Precision in 6.5CM and yes...they are a ballistic wonderment and he busts my chops about being a hardheaded old school 308 fanboy...but to answer your question?...yes...I am of the belief that 300WM would have longer barrel life...not much..but yea...longer...and it can do more than punch paper when it gets there...am I wrong?
Well i meant Altus Shooting Solutions in Baker Florida , but if you want to drive to Oklahoma to shoot be my guest

if you do go to that really nice range jtac please bring back video and stories so us less fortunate slobs have something to drool over .... best of luck with your 2k range you suck you lucky so n so ...

Reactions: lash and JINKSTER
... I was leaning more towards lethality with the mindset that the 300wm's primary mission scope would be a shtf distance keeper? ... maybe just playing the game would be a lot more fun because along with an abundance of recoil? ... 300WM ... is pretty freaking expensive these days (for the good stuff and why shoot anything else? )... this sux cause the local Bass Pro has a 6.5 Bergara B-14 HMR in the rack for like $969...they also have a NF SHV on the shelf for $1,349....and I got a clean club member card...damn. LOL!
You hit the target to the limit of your rifle's, your scope's, and YOUR ability -- how dead does it have to be?

Either rifle will take deer or coyotes to 600 yards -- within two or three states of where you live. It'll keep you off the streets and away from bad influences. :D

You can sling lead from BOTH your FN AND Bergara within maybe an hour's drive ... and you can STILL plan to take those mile shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: JINKSTER and lash
I am of the belief that 300WM would have longer barrel life...not much..but yea...longer...and it can do more than punch paper when it gets there...am I wrong?

If you think a 6.5 Creedmoor is only good for punching paper when it gets there.......

It's not

Reactions: Bluedog82 and lash
Do you seriously fucking see that as a plus?
Yes. I love it here in NC, don't feel the need to live in FL, but at least there are all the theme parks there. I'd be visiting all the time if I was local.

I am surrounded by Disney Nerds even though I am far from one. My wife, a large number of her friends, and multiple neighbors.

I've never been there myself (been to CA Disney), but I know people that travel there to FL from my area multiple times a year and get on the new rides by invite.

D23 Gold, they used to do the half marathons, celebrating milestones, etc.

HUGE money suck... but I try not to judge when I buy a new scope or a $900 custom barrel that's just going to cost more $$$ to be shot out.

Is it perfect? Rarely is anything perfect.

I understand LIVING and commuting near there has to suck, at least it's an option.

Yes. I love it here in NC, don't feel the need to live in FL, but at least there are all the theme parks there. I'd be visiting all the time if I was local.

I am surrounded by Disney Nerds even though I am far from one. My wife, a large number of her friends, and multiple neighbors.

I've never been there myself (been to CA Disney), but I know people that travel there to FL from my area multiple times a year and get on the new rides by invite.

D23 Gold, they used to do the half marathons, celebrating milestones, etc.

HUGE money suck... but I try not to judge when I buy a new scope or a $900 custom barrel that's just going to cost more $$$ to be shot out.

Is it perfect? Rarely is anything perfect.

I understand LIVING and commuting near there has to suck, at least it's an option.

If you support Disney with your money, you support their radical anti American agenda that normalizes aberrant behavior and critical race theory.

Have fun with Mickey

What the? Is anyone actually from FL In this thread (besides 308)😂FL has the most unlimited yard ranges in the USA and they are FREE….. Boat plus floating targets 😉

BTW Disney sucks

Last edited:
What the? Is anyone actually from FL In this thread (besides 308)😂FL has the most unlimited yard ranges in the USA and they are FREE….. Boat plus floating targets 😉

BTW Disney sucks
Funny but not realistic. Coast guard and marine patrol frown on gunfire from boats. Plus, there’s typically a lot of boats out and about on any given day. How many you want to hit?

If you support Disney with your money, you support their radical anti American agenda that normalizes aberrant behavior and critical race theory.

Have fun with Mickey
This is where I disagree and sadly might derail the thread.

I am not a supporter of "grooming", CRT, etc. I stand against such aberrant behavior.

But simply ceding territory and assets to the opposition is simply making it easy for them.

If we as non-woke people simply walk away from all the woke challenges, then we end up handing over all institutions and companies to the wokesters.

I watched this happen with schools, universities, churches, and now companies.

Better to be inside, have influence, and FIGHT. I believe the Disney battle will ultimately be won by non woke.

Truthfully, the "woke" crowd is loud (2 people in a crowd of 1000 except they have megaphones), but they can't afford disney's capitalism. The $$$ comes from people that work, own assets, and can afford $10k for a week spent at their properties. Disney was created to get people OUT of the real world and escape, not have it forced on them.

If you spent time on property, you would realize how little of the "woke" aberrant messaging gets through in the parks. Not the same as the movies. Easy to generalize, but talk to people that actually go into the parks and spend time there. Not what you'd expect.

Don't believe the mass media or even conservative media, ask people you know for firsthand knowledge.

With the companies, better to be loud as a customer disagreeing with the wrong direction loudly and clearly over simply walking away and giving the company no choice but to support the negative side because the positive side abandoned the company.

Let's stop giving everything up so easily. Let's stick around and fight. They get away with murder because most people are too polite and don't like confrontation.

Don't judge Mickey enthusiasts as bad, and maybe Disney nerds won't judge PRS competitors and rifle enthusiasts as bad due to mass shooters. Be more judicious in choosing whom to judge, generalizations are rarely helpful.

Please take note that the Leftists support each others' ideas and show up to support each other (other than trans/feminists) against the status quo. So they usually have large crowds because they always want to "progress" further away from status quo.

But non Leftists only support their personal causes. Until we decide to support other causes on our side, we will always stand as small groups instead of a large one like them.

Reactions: Ubaderb and lash
It does but have you guys ever gone grouper fishing 40+ miles…. No boats on the horizon anywhere. It is impractical but if you offshore fish a lot…bring your guns, where do think the whole boating accident term came from😂

I've gone out past the 75 mile point.
It's an eerie, empty feeling out there.
That is, until you make the first drop and spend the next 30 minutes fighting a big amberjack.
You gotta get it past the guy in the brown suit, so it's pull, reel, pull, reel until you feel like you're gonna puke.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
I really want a PRS centerfire rifle. ...but realistically, there's only a few places to shoot the thing here outside DC.

So I went rimfire. Shooting a few inch steel target at 200yds is indeed something of a challenge with a .22. It's more of a challenge off a swinging mesh net or out of a steel cage and an even bigger challenge to make X hits in 90sec

M
Greeting Sir, May I ask what 22LR ammo you are using, and what the drop rate is? I have a Tikka T1x and would enjoy this. KonaKoa

Well thanks folks...sorry to have troubled y'all but one of my buds actually found a place that offers "Remote Rates" for Precision Rifle that has 500/1000/2000yd ranges...Cost: $340 per year (5 entries per year) ($90 per entry after the 5th)

It's 150mi/2 1/2 hour drive but I guess we can just get a room and make a weekend of it when we go. :)
Glad you found something. Not sure why people comment sometimes if all they have is “ I don’t know so do without”
We’re on a site that specializes in long range shooting so most on here aren’t going to find something else to do

Reactions: lash and JINKSTER
It does but have you guys ever gone grouper fishing 40+ miles…. No boats on the horizon anywhere. It is impractical but if you offshore fish a lot…bring your guns, where do think the whole boating accident term came from😂

I was once stupid enough to go to the middle grounds on a commercial grouper boat with something that was blued steel. Rust city.

Greeting Sir, May I ask what 22LR ammo you are using, and what the drop rate is? I have a Tikka T1x and would enjoy this. KonaKoa
Right now, I'm shooting TAC22. I've tried CCI std velocity and TAC22 in this rifle. TAC22 seems to be slightly better. I haven't gone thru all the ammo types like I did with my BMR. That rifle liked Center X and then SK in the red box best.

Your rifle may like something other than what mine does, so you'll have to experiment. Rimfires seem to be persnickity

As of a few days ago, TAC22 was on sale as PSA

M

Reactions: sinister
I live on Florida's Treasure Coast and the nearest range with the longest yardage is 100 miles away for 600yds and I have to qualify at 300yds with a specific rig for 2moa before being approved for one of their (16) 600yd shooting stations....is there anything better available?
A barge anchored offshore about 1500 yds with a bunch of steel plates on board?

• Haha
Reactions: 338dude
I watched a Youtube video of this guy from Germany shooting 1000 yards at a Texas gun range, He stated at the time of this video 2019 Germany has no public range longer than 400 yards. Think about that, They make some of the best optics in the world and only have a 400 yard range.

• Wow
Reactions: 338dude
I shoot at Ares a couple of times a month. Main range has plenty of 100 yard stalls, and a hand full to get you out to 200,300, and 400. You have to qualify at 400 to get out to the long range. The long range has electronic targets at 500, 600, 700, and 860. That's as far as they get for right now. I think they're working to get something set up at 1k and beyond. All outdoors. Good people there. They're open Wednesday through Sunday if you're ever in the area.

I live on Florida's Treasure Coast and the nearest range with the longest yardage is 100 miles away for 600yds and I have to qualify at 300yds with a specific rig for 2moa before being approved for one of their (16) 600yd shooting stations....is there anything better available?
NRA Home has a range locator feature. You enter your zip, city, and distance to search....25-200 miles. On left of page you an select many different limiters to narrow search....ie Places to Shoot, types of training, etc. You can also Google search shooting ranges in your state, county,....

Reactions: JINKSTER
Most of the people at our NRL22 matches, where as mentioned we shoot from about 25-310 yards from all sorts of barricades, are using SK Std., SK Rifle Match, SK Long Range, or Center X. There are many, including myself, that start out just using CCI SV until they get good enough to want to spend more for marginally better results.

Typical drops at 200 yards are 6-9 mils and at 300 yards are about 11-16 mils. You need a decent scope capable of handling lots of dialing. Or else you end up holding 6-7 mils. In these matches, actual range really matters, as a yard or so off in distance can sometimes put you off the target.

Last edited: