• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

No Powder or Primers! Grrrrr!!!

TacticalBoltKnob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Figures that when I finally get into reloading it is the hugest powder and primer shortage of all time.

Just in the middle of my load development and I only have about .25 lb of powder left and no primers. Not a single store near me has any powder, nor large rifle primers.

Most calibers are caught up from the ammo shortage of 2013, so why are primers and powder in such short supply? They should be caught up by now, no?

Anyways, I am seriously irritated with this. I am not going to find some rinky-dink online retailer and pay $40 for a pound of powder and pay $28.50 in hazmat fee and $15 in shipping.

Sorry for the rant. I just want to reload, dammit. :mad:

Try finding supplies north of the border! Hit 8 gun shops and covered a over 1000 miles to find 8 pounds of 8 different powders! On average 45$ a pound.

You need to be looking for 8# kegs and get more than 1. Then the hazmat doesn't look so bad. It cost's me $7 each round trip to the LGS. I have to pay that even if I don't buy anything. 4 trips returning without powder = $28 hazmat fee.

Dude, you need to get off your butt and hit the gun shows and shops. Their is plenty of stuff out their if your looking for it. Go on gun broker and pick up your primers but be sure to buy in bulk 5000 here and their. Go on a group buy with your friends. Need to go beyond the store near you deal with and make a trip to other stores. you never know what you'll find.

The trick is one to stock up and two know when stores get their deliveries (most important) it's all out there and pretty easy to get just gotta put in the leg work.

Where in Wis are you? I've got no problems finding powder or primers, though the last 5K of primers I got from natchezz(Tulas) What kind of powder are you looking for? Primers?

Milwaukee. I see you are in central Wisconsin, which is where all the shooting supplies in Wisconsin seem to be ... away from the major population, of course.

But I scored today. Found a reloading/target shop about 2 hours away and got 4 lbs of my chosen powder and 1000 primers. Would have bought more, but that was the limit.

No store within an hour of me had anything, and I damn near called them all.

Just got 16llbs of target today. Need to put in the time in and look all the time.

I just got into reloading, so I wasn't on the look out until a couple weeks ago.

Also, not everyone can just thrown down $300-$400 on some powder. I am living paycheck to paycheck. Buying two 8-lb kegs simply ain't gonna happen with my financial situation.

Yeah I know times are tough. You need to hit gun stores in your area to find what you need. I always call friends to get in on orders to save on shipping. Get a side gig to support your hobby thats what I do.

Milwaukee. I see you are in central Wisconsin, which is where all the shooting supplies in Wisconsin seem to be ... away from the major population, of course.

But I scored today. Found a reloading/target shop about 2 hours away and got 4 lbs of my chosen powder and 1000 primers. Would have bought more, but that was the limit.

No store within an hour of me had anything, and I damn near called them all.

You went to Illinois, didn't you, the dark side?:)

I had excellent luck simply by expanding my search to several different powders that also work for the cartridge I'm looking for, and then monitoring Gunbot for them all. Ultimately I ended up at Third Generation Shooting Supply where I got 4064 and Winchester Large Primers (Both of which are currently in stock if interested). You have to buy in bulk, and you might have to work up a new load, but that's the world we live in for the time being. I also dissuaded the shipping and hazmat costs further by organizing buys together with local reloaders.

I had excellent luck simply by expanding my search to several different powders that also work for the cartridge I'm looking for, and then monitoring Gunbot for them all. Ultimately I ended up at Third Generation Shooting Supply where I got 4064 and Winchester Large Primers (Both of which are currently in stock if interested). You have to buy in bulk, and you might have to work up a new load, but that's the world we live in for the time being. I also dissuaded the shipping and hazmat costs further by organizing buys together with local reloaders.

Already found what I was looking for. Thanks.

You need to be looking for 8# kegs and get more than 1. Then the hazmat doesn't look so bad. It cost's me $7 each round trip to the LGS. I have to pay that even if I don't buy anything. 4 trips returning without powder = $28 hazmat fee.

maybe call ahead and ask if they have what your looking for? crazy i know, but it might save you $7.

Try calling the LGS next time to find out if they have what you want or anything at all, saves a lot of gas and time. Yellow pages, nobody uses them anymore.
Cheers

i think its all hype being a powder and primer drought! In my area (reno NV) primers are everywhere in stores and powder valley just sent me 20# of reloder 22 so I'm set... just look around its out there just right time and right place. i write down a list of websites to visit when i search and make sure to look at EVERY site so u don't forget one! pistol powder on the other hand is hard to find but its out there for a ridiculous price tag.

This past week in Central MT. Bullseye/BlueDot/Red Dot 20# of each at $20.99 per pound at Big R Supply Gt Falls. Possibly they had more as there were cans on the shelf all week.

Yesterday they had H-4350 , H-322, H-4895, Varget, Retumbo and a few assorted IMR powders.

Stores are getting powder. It's out there. I think the issue regarding HOW to best find it...has already been covered.

i think its all hype being a powder and primer drought! In my area (reno NV) primers are everywhere in stores and powder valley just sent me 20# of reloder 22 so I'm set... just look around its out there just right time and right place. i write down a list of websites to visit when i search and make sure to look at EVERY site so u don't forget one! pistol powder on the other hand is hard to find but its out there for a ridiculous price tag.

Shoot,

Which stores and what days I you checking here in Reno? I am not in heavy need of stuff, but would like to keep my eye out for large pistol and large rifle primers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, you should join us for the next Long Range Varmint Silhouette shoot on 4/12/14. PM me for details if interested.

My store just got stocked.

Shoot,

Which stores and what days I you checking here in Reno? I am not in heavy need of stuff, but would like to keep my eye out for large pistol and large rifle primers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, you should join us for the next Long Range Varmint Silhouette shoot on 4/12/14. PM me for details if interested.

Here's a store I found, on the net, that will ship, HAD everything... but... it's just a small gun store in Utah, and the "old guy" at the counter won't /can't do anything on the phone, when he's busy with customers. Christens, or Christensons, by memory. Dumped the info when my LGS came through.