• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Non-official, unsientific Sniper survey. Take-2

hrfunk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Ohio
I originally posted this in the basic marksmanship area, but it may be more appropriate here. Thanks for any info:

This question is directed mostly to law enforcement Snipers, but if our military brethren want to join in too, that's fine. During my career I've heard the non-existent FBI "study" cited more times than I can remember. Depending upon who is "quoting" the myth, the average Sniper engagement distance is reported to be somewhere between 70 and 79 yards.

Some years ago the American Sniper Association tried to come up with a true average and it was significantly less than the myth. The thing I've never understood is why we care about the average. Snipers don't train to be average, we train to be extraordinary.

So for the purposes of my unscientific survey, I'm asking what the extremes have been during your various deployments. Personally, I've been as close as 35 yards, and as far as 280 yards. What has your experience been?

HRF

Re: Non-official, unsientific Sniper survey. Take-2

I was not a sniper but we had one in our squad.
Beirut Lebanon 1984
Close shot 10 paces through window at bad guy.
Longest shot 120 paces badguy in van.

Panama 1985 both witnessed by me
longest shot from .308 with optics
420 yards
some close ones made by DM at 60 yards

Mid-east 1986
Longest shot .50 cal 1100 yards witnessed by me
first shot low, second shot contact lower body.
300 yards + 3 badguys by me and team member from rest on rocks to contact.

For what is worth for your unscientific survey.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beirut Lebanon 1984

</div></div>
2/8?

You have to differentiate between military snipers and scout snipers in combat and LE. Cops are shooting at somebody across the street, often with a .223 "sniper" rifle these days. There is little reason or need for them to stretch the distances.