• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Non-Toxic Bore Solvent?

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hi guys, I'm getting a little tired of getting high on Hoppe's #9 every time I clean my precision rifle...whoa....the room is spinning...what was the name of that Pink Floyd song with the brick and the wall and the teachers?

Anyways back on topic: I'm checking to see if anyone else here has had any luck in finding a non-toxic bore solvent for general cleanings after a range trip.

I'm not looking for copper remediation solvent as I'm trying to maintain copper equilibrium in my bore, and will be performing copper remediation separately (a non-toxic solvent for that would be nice to find too). For now, basically I just need something for cleaning the dirt and fouling out of the bore.

I've heard of Froglube, but read mixed reports on how effective it is. I've also run across Bore Tech Eliminator which is also biodegradable and non-toxic, but the description of the product on Midwayusa says it removes copper.

Has anyone had any luck with any non-toxic solvents?

Last edited:
BoreTech Eliminator does remove some copper and carbon, but no fumes and has worked well on all my precisions rifles. What Barrett uses for their weapons, just repackaged (so I've heard). Only 1 or 2 wet patches down the barrel and let sit for a minute followed by 5-6 dry patches, then 1 patch with a few drops of Kranoil followed by 20 gauge chamber mop and lite bolt grease and done for another 200-300 rounds. No brushes or heavy scrubbing. BoreTech also has a product that only removes carbon​. Don't miss Hoppe's #9 at all. My wife lets me clean all my guns in the house now.

I like Froglube and all it takes is wiping off for powder residue. I recommend yo look at Gunzilla and Copperzilla from Top Duck products. Excellnt stuff

Ventilation.

Works for all sorts of potential exposures to various inhaled materials.

Another vote for KG 1 and KG 12. I use KG 1 every time I clean my bore and use KG 12 every 10 cleanings or so (I don't strip all the copper out either, just run a couple patches). Both are mild-smelling and I have yet to see any giant bats fly through my gun room while using the stuff.

You can try one of the low-odor carb/brake cleaner formulations (IIRC, the Cyclo stuff smells a bit like cheap tequila). You may also want to experiment with a fluorocarbon solvent such as SDC or many of the so-called "contact cleaner" or "motor cleaner" formulations, as these tend to be fairly benign. Remington's Brite Bore doesn't have much of an odor to me, but I suspect that I am far less sensitive to such things than you are; there might be a lot of chemicals in my shop that will fuck with my head, but Hoppes definitely ain't one of 'em.

Or, just go light on the amount of bore cleaner on each patch, put the cap back on the container when it's not in immediate use, and maybe crack open a window to get some fresh air.

Have you tried Break Free CLP yet? The stuff doesn't really remove any copper and it has less odor than Hoppes.

I've used M-Pro7 with good results and no buzzes. That's what I use for all my centerfires now.

I love Froglube for my handguns and shotguns, but not for my rifles. From looking at my dry patches, the M-Pro7 just seems to clean more thoroughly. YMMV.

I just started using Slip-2000 carbon killer bore cleaner in my shop, and it is amazing. I'm switching over to it exclusively since it woks so well (especially or super fouled up machine guns that get rented out 5 times a day). I have a Sig 516 with a Gemtech G5, and when I pull off the can to clean it every two weeks the carbon build up on the brake is insane. Soak it in slip for 5 min and the carbon just wipes off. Non-toxic, and smells like oranges which is a nice touch.

+1 on Boretech Eliminator. Then every so often I also use some Holland's Witch's Brew Copper Solvent. It has a mild abrasive in it and it really gets things clean especially in the throat area but I don't do it that often. Maybe every 1500 rounds or so.

Froglube is the best it is actually categorized as a food, strange huh? It works great because I have used everything over the years and was surprised when my brother gave me some to use. I ran it through the bore of my rifle and let it sit for ten minutes and then started pushing patches through it and could not believe how well it removed copper fouling. I mean better then anything else I have ever used before. The wife will not be coming on glued about you cleaning your rifle in the house in the dead of winter when it is to cold to do it in the garage So check it out for yourself at the link below.

Homepage ~ It Just Works!