• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Noob... Scope question, again.

d.hodgee

Private
Minuteman
Ok, After reading past posts on here for the last hour I am having trouble deciding what I want/need.

I just bought a new rifle. (Remington700 sps-t .308)

I have been looking at Leupold scopes. I'm probably going to be leaning to a used one just out of trying to save$. Considering L's warranty and all.

Keep in mind that I am just getting into the sport. I have been leaning to the mark4 10x40 (fixed power) I figure with it being fixed power its one less thing for me to f with.

Which one for a noob? m1 or m3 dials and which mildot or tmr?

For Target/hunting use. I live close to a 600y range and have plenty of farm ground to go farther. (way after the learning process)

Thanks!

Re: Noob... Scope question, again.

Personally I'd go with the M1 TMR. The M3 dials are nice for tactical use, but for hunting and especially target use the M1 adjustments are more precise.

im with diggler,id go with the m1 also for the more precise adj. plus they look cool!hahahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 for alot less money! </div></div>

Dude do you realize that is EVERY optics post I have seen from you, you mention the same scope?

Exactly how many other scopes have you worked with?

yeah it is becouse I believe that they are the best for the buck,
and when a new guy asks what scope to buy then why not tell him about the good ones? Why not add to the conversation with a scope you think he should own? I own nightforce, and one us optics, truth is they are all great scopes just some are cheaper for the everyday person to afford. Sightron $800 new, Nightforce $1600 new, minimal. US Optics $2400 new. And he wonders why I tell the noobs to buy sightron. Best scope here would be the US Optics but the truth is most people can't afford one so most guys are stuck with a leupold, nikon ect... So I like to offer another look at a better scope than most. I still stand by my comment and think you would love a Sightron SIII whatever the power!

You didn't answer the second part of the question.

If you only feed a man vanilla ice cream all his life, whenever anyone asks what the best ice cream is he is going to tell you vanilla. That dosent make it best.
wink.gif

And I said the best scope for the buck. Argue what is better in that price range instead?

I am sorry for your second question, I have worked with all the scopes talked about above except I don't recall anyone asking about the leupold mark 4s. I have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50, along with a custom US Optics that can be ordered to whatever you ask for. I believe I paid around $1700 for the nightforce and the US Optics was around $2600. The sightron on my varmint gun was $500 used. Out of the three the sightron and nighforce are almost equal to me, Quality that is. I have some various leupolds, a super sniper which is also a good scope for cheaper.
Another brand thats makeing some not to bad lower line scopes is burris. I don't own a burris but have heard good things. I hope this helps.

I would go with the M-1 turrets if I were to go with leupold and the retical is more your choice. Pick something you will be able to place to use. If hunting the TMR is not bad along with target unless you are use to mil dot.

Never seen a USO owner, when asked about his scope, declare it a "custom." I own an SN3, have owned a few, every USO was custom in the beginning.

As for best scope for a .308 newbie, get a SuperSniper, much better deal than a Leupold, even used, in my opinion. And don't scrimp on mounts and rings; get god stuff..

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-2760-swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-riflescope.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude do you realize that is EVERY optics post I have seen from you, you mention the same scope?</div></div>

I have suggested the Sightron SIII many times myself, Dude.

Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LR MD or 3.5-10x44 LR MD Great scopes. I have probably suggested them over 10 times here and suggest them all the time to my customers, so what. Stick around you will probably see me suggest them another 10 more too. Great scopes, why pay more.

GC

When I said USO custom I was speaking of how you can custom order the scope to your personal likes. I however have stated other scopes to buy while MR Lone Wolf is alone in this thread offering nothing but attacks. When asked to add sais nothing.
MY USO is the SN-3 3.5-17x44 with a rdp moa retical.

I too am looking for a replacement scope. I am looking at the NF NXS 3.5-15x50 zero stop for roughly 1700. It seems to be the cheapest I could find the Mil-Dot and .1 Mil knobs. Any atlternative in a similar reticle/knob (mil/mil) combo? Thanks guys.