• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norma Golden Target Match 6.5CM 143gr

At what speeds? I’m at 2740 with a 26” and estimated 2870 with 130s the wind hold is dead on 2.1 mrad in AB for me?
You get 2740 out of a 26"?

I get an average of 2655 with the 143 grain out of my 27" and 2882 with the 130 both measured with a Labradar. These are averages based on over 200 rounds of each type. Maybe I got a slow lot?

My DOPE is trued at 1000 yards based on AB in a Kestrel and matches well with Trasol on my iPhone

Reactions: DangerRanger
The 130 grain has an advantage of 2 Mils in Elevation and 0.6 Mils advantage in a 10 mph crosswind at 1,000 yards

Only gets more pronounced as distance gets further
295 VS 321g7 pretty much dissolves that 120fps advantage of the lighter bullet at distance. Maybe less drop with the 130, but wind will be the same, and may even advantage to the heavier slower bullet. I'm just comparing the 2730 VS 2850 advertised box velocity.

Edit, just because I don't trust Norma box BC, I ran some bullets with known bc similar to these two 130 VS 143. I ended using a 135 atip with 321g7 and 143eldx with a 297g7. Winds the same, and the faster bullet is 0.5mil less drop at a G, 120fps difference.
Screenshot_20230615_194227_Applied Ballistics.jpg
Screenshot_20230615_194325_Applied Ballistics.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jarid.clapp
295 VS 321g7 pretty much dissolves that 120fps advantage of the lighter bullet at distance. Maybe less drop with the 130, but wind will be the same, and may even advantage to the heavier slower bullet. I'm just comparing the 2730 VS 2850 advertised box velocity.
I have never matched the box velocity on the 143...could give a rats ass what the box says. The MV in the Kestrel that aligns the actual corrections with the predicted is 2655 fps. Hornady ELD-M 140s are about the same speed. Norma has no magic here

You get 2740 out of a 26"?

I get an average of 2655 with the 143 grain out of my 27" and 2882 with the 130 both measured with a Labradar. These are averages based on over 200 rounds of each type. Maybe I got a slow lot?

My DOPE is trued at 1000 yards based on AB in a Kestrel and matches well with Trasol on my iPhone
That’s trued with drops at 1k with AB. I’ve heard of some norma lots being smoking hot and some being slow maybe that’s the issue?

I should get my magneto out to confirm, but that’s me walking out and adjusting with ABs PDM file

Barrel is a 26” bartlein 1:8

I need to check my notes, iirc my TRG 26” never saw more than 2650ish average and my PVA 26” last time I had it out didn’t fare much better…but I must have made a mistake in my Kestrel because my profile shows 2773.

That’s trued with drops at 1k with AB. I’ve heard of some norma lots being smoking hot and some being slow maybe that’s the issue?

I should get my magneto out to confirm, but that’s me walking out and adjusting with ABs PDM file

Barrel is a 26” bartlein 1:8
I have definitely had some hot lots with the 143 grain. I have cratered primers with the 143 grain ammo but never with the 130 grain. Interestingly enough, the same truing method for the 130 yields an MV slightly higher than the box value.

I shoot a Bartlein 1:7.5 twist 5R but results are almost identical out of my AT which uses a Kreiger 4 post 1:7.5

The lot to lot different is one of my big annoyances with factory lol.

I just cracked open a new case and I’m .3 high at 600. Maybe I’ll take the magneto and see what it says.

If the 130s are actually a 200+ fps difference it makes more sense for sure. Sounds like I got a smoking lot of 143s

I just cracked open a new case and I’m .3 high at 600. Maybe I’ll take the magneto and see what it says.

If the 130s are actually a 200+ fps difference it makes more sense for sure
Back in the day the 130gr Norma load ran just near 2900 out of my 26” AINA Bartlein.

If the 130s are actually a 200+ fps difference it makes more sense for sure. Sounds like I got a smoking lot of 143s
I have shot a lot of 140 grain or slightly heavier factory loads (144 SMK, 147 ELD-M) and they alll fall in and around 2600-2670. If I could find factory using 140+ grain heads going 2750, I would use nothing else

Ive shot three or 400 rounds of this ammo. It shoots great in my Bergara HMR pro. But, yesterday I had some blown primers. First time this has ever happened to me. I noticed my bolt was very hard to open and close. Anyway, I attached a picture of the ammo. I'm going to contact Norma and see what they say. I have read on here that another individual had the same issue..

Attachments

• C37E2984-9DE4-4E74-8A76-98EE2A445639_1_105_c.jpeg
    C37E2984-9DE4-4E74-8A76-98EE2A445639_1_105_c.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 43
Ive shot three or 400 rounds of this ammo. It shoots great in my Bergara HMR pro. But, yesterday I had some blown primers. First time this has ever happened to me. I noticed my bolt was very hard to open and close. Anyway, I attached a picture of the ammo. I'm going to contact Norma and see what they say. I have read on here that another individual had the same issue..
That was me. Norma ammo was incompatible with my Desert Tech. It shot VERY well, but it was a very hot load in that chamber. Norma sent me a shipping label to return the rest of the ammo and refunded me my order.

That was me. Norma ammo was incompatible with my Desert Tech. It shot VERY well, but it was a very hot load in that chamber. Norma sent me a shipping label to return the rest of the ammo and refunded me my order.
Yeah, In the last six months I've shot about 300 or so rounds with no issues. But for some reason, I've had a couple boxes in the past couple days do this. One box there were a lot of rounds doing it. And today, there were two rounds that did this. But the rest looked normal. All the Hornady and Winchester stuff I shot today was fine. Weird.

Had the same thing happen at a match a few weeks ago. Have shot about 1400 rounds so far, almost all at PRS matches.

Settled on .315 for the BC. Need to waterline test past 1K, but seems to be close.
-1 case did not have a primer from the factory, just spilled powder in box
-1 had a popped primer. Only noticed after the stage when I got my brass
-No failures to fire or Clicks.

Shoots about 1/2 moa with some random flyers here and there. Have about 2K more and will use when I can't/dont feel like reloading for a match.

Its good ammo in a pinch but deffinatley leaves some performance on the table compared to the BR/Dasher/GT shooting Bergers. My groups and dispersion is about half of the Norma Match, while having much less recoil.

Reactions: kcormack
I blew a few primers shooting suppressed in my LMT. I didnt notice until one of them locked the action up and I had to mortar it open. Ran the rest of the lot through a bolt gun and didn't have any issues but it definitely felt like a hot load. Didn't shoot it for groups but accuracy seemed good for banging steel. I just got a shipment of the 130's in and going to try those in the LMT again.

Let me know what they say. I never got an answer. This occasionally happens to me when I use this ammo in my AXMC

Shot 50 rds thru it the other day. 0.3moa Tikka t3x tac a1 relatively stock. I'm going to remove the bullets and re powder them for charge consistency. Might even throw h4350 into several. Bullets and cases are nice, so I'm thinking some QC on the powder might make it better.
What speed did you get from the Tikka Tac A1 with the factory ammo? but after you rearranged for charge consistency? On Friday I'm also buying 3 boxes of Norma Golden Target Match 143gr and I'm curious what I should expect? My rifle is also the Tikka Tac A1. Honestly, I would be very happy with a 0.3 MOA group at 100m :)

@adisan77ro - MV isn't great, but I attribute that to the Tikka barrel ALWAYS being slow. I was running an average of 2610 fps, but that hasn't been far off from the ELDM's I've used too. I've seen it go as low as 2570 in the winter at its worst.

Anecdotally, I went to a 1000yd range and had no issues hitting steel before or after managing the powder. Honestly, I don't feel like I need to go through that process again. You should be just fine with your purchase.

Next step for me is to run a CarbonSix barrel to get those MV's up, reduce barrel length to 22" and shave some much needed weight.

I blew a few primers shooting suppressed in my LMT. I didnt notice until one of them locked the action up and I had to mortar it open. Ran the rest of the lot through a bolt gun and didn't have any issues but it definitely felt like a hot load. Didn't shoot it for groups but accuracy seemed good for banging steel. I just got a shipment of the 130's in and going to try those in the LMT again.
Exact same thing happened to me with 143gr normas out of my LMT 6.5 20” two blown primers and had to be mortared. Shot suppressed and unsuppressed. Clocked in at 2665 unsuppressed out the 20” LMT 6.5 barrel 1:7.5 twist. Ejecting at 3:00. Ammo grouped submoa at 100M. Other than the clear signs of over pressure this ammo is tits

Also some 10 round chrono data for yall.

Average: 2665.8 FPS
SD: 14.4207 FPS

26” bartlein
9 shots average 2651

Shot some development loads while 7 cartridges heat soaked in the sun for about 20-25 min

7 shots hot/heat soaked from sun
Average 2719

10 shots from the shade back to ambient/cooler
avg 2654

20 shots (one didn’t show up on magneto) top group
7C54A559-6947-4683-9893-46A3F10746FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a 2 day prs class and I blew about 10 primers out of 150 rounds fired in a lmt 6.5 20" mrggs. Recovered 9 pieces of blown brass. Significant bulge right above the rim.

The last blown primer took the gun out of action. Mortaring it cause the entire bcg to lock back. Had to remove the buffer extension and pound the bcg forward because the primer was lodged between the upeer and bcg.

I've emailed Norma twice about it with no response.

Swapped to hornady 140 eld since and have had zero issues. Shame because this ammo was consistently half moa and yielded ad's less than 10

Would avoid.

Attachments

• 20230727_210234.jpg
    20230727_210234.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230726_202640.jpg
    20230726_202640.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230723_151844.jpg
    20230723_151844.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230723_152319.jpg
    20230723_152319.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: dddqqq69
@adisan77ro - MV isn't great, but I attribute that to the Tikka barrel ALWAYS being slow. I was running an average of 2610 fps, but that hasn't been far off from the ELDM's I've used too. I've seen it go as low as 2570 in the winter at its worst.

Anecdotally, I went to a 1000yd range and had no issues hitting steel before or after managing the powder. Honestly, I don't feel like I need to go through that process again. You should be just fine with your purchase.

Next step for me is to run a CarbonSix barrel to get those MV's up, reduce barrel length to 22" and shave some much needed weight.
I tried them too: measured from the Tikka Tac A1, they gave an average speed of 796mps, just as we recorded with the Hornady TAP (797mps). SD about 4.5 (metric system) as in TAP and E.S. 21 mps, while at TAP E.S. 19 mps. So both are still there. This is based on a measurement of 20 shots for each individual.
The smallest group of 3 shots = 0.18 moa, the rest mostly in the 0.4 moa and the largest of 10 shots was 0,7 moa.
However, I appreciate that with the Hornady Tap ammunition, I can more easily and more consistently achieve 1/4 MOA groupings.
As training ammunition, it's not bad at all, it's above Geco Target, but the price is +50% compared to Geco. Probably with a tuner it's a really good option, especially for PRS. It remains to be seen how it does at distances of 700-800, or 1000.
I would say it's a good spare ammunition, if you find it at a good price

P.s.: I had no problem with the ammo (primers or brass) from 60 shots fired

Last edited:
Did a 2 day prs class and I blew about 10 primers out of 150 rounds fired in a lmt 6.5 20" mrggs. Recovered 9 pieces of blown brass. Significant bulge right above the rim.

The last blown primer took the gun out of action. Mortaring it cause the entire bcg to lock back. Had to remove the buffer extension and pound the bcg forward because the primer was lodged between the upeer and bcg.

Swapped to hornady 140 eld since and have had zero issues. Shame because this ammo was consistently half moa and yielded ad's less than 10

Would avoid.
Check your spam folder. You'll see earlier in this thread, like on page 1 if i remember correctly, I had a similar issue with the ammo not playing well with the chamber of a certain barrel. It shot well, but it blew 3 primers during a field match. Norma was actually pretty quick to reply, but it hit my spam folder so I didn't see it

Edit: just checked and it's first page, post #48

Reactions: dr snu snu

Would avoid.
You might want to try the Norma 130gr for the LMT. I've got about 200 rds through mine and no blown primers where the 143's were blowing like crazy. Much softer recoil impulse and lower pressure than the 143s.

Check your spam folder. You'll see earlier in this thread, like on page 1 if i remember correctly, I had a similar issue with the ammo not playing well with the chamber of a certain barrel. It shot well, but it blew 3 primers during a field match. Norma was actually pretty quick to reply, but it hit my spam folder so I didn't see it

Edit: just checked and it's first page, post #48
I did and there has been zero comms. I emailed [email protected]. Is this the same one you reached out to?

You might want to try the Norma 130gr for the LMT. I've got about 200 rds through mine and no blown primers where the 143's were blowing like crazy. Much softer recoil impulse and lower pressure than the 143s.
I switched to hornady 140 eld and the
problems have gone away. Have shot about 300 of it between practice and matches.

Funny my KAC doesn’t blow any primers. 🧐
Hehe there's a joke to be made about learning machining but have you shot the 143 GTM? I went back to look at the norma cases that I've been collecting since March. All have a slight bulge above case rim. Joe Hajny at lmt said to try a different ammo out and that Norma brass has been reported to be very soft.

Hehe there's a joke to be made about learning machining but have you shot the 143 GTM? I went back to look at the norma cases that I've been collecting since March. All have a slight bulge above case rim. Joe Hajny at lmt said to try a different ammo out and that Norma brass has been reported to be very soft.
Yep 143 and 130, but to be honest not much of either as I’ve been evaluating what shoots best and I don’t have much of the 143 left.

22” 6.5?
That’s right, but it’s still young. You sold yours as I recall?

I'm noticing they're not returning any emails from a lot of people with this issue. When you're paying over a dollar per round, it's abhorrent that they can't even answer the email when many people are having these issues.. I have to try to find their Facebook page and complain on that.

I'm noticing they're not returning any emails from a lot of people with this issue. When you're paying over a dollar per round, it's abhorrent that they can't even answer the email when many people are having these issues.. I have to try to find their Facebook page and complain on that.
I've tried to call Norma more times than I can count. Always goes to voicemail. I'm also sitting on another 400-500 of this 143 GTM that I cannot sell in good conscience.

I'm going to blast them on social media and maybe then I'll get a return label.

@dr snu snu let me see if I can find the emails and I'll report back

Edit: Yup, [email protected] was the email address I sent my complaint to. They were very quick to reply, like I sent that email when I got home from the match Sunday afternoon and they replied Monday. They asked for my proof of purchase, offered to have me ship the ammo back to them and reimburse me for the rest. I chose not to because my issues were only occurring in my Desert Tech barrel, which is a known fast barrel. The other rifles I have all shot the Norma at least 100 fps slower

Last edited:
@dr snu snu let me see if I can find the emails and I'll report back

Edit: Yup, [email protected] was the email address I sent my complaint to. They were very quick to reply, like I sent that email when I got home from the match Sunday afternoon and they replied Monday. They asked for my proof of purchase, offered to have me ship the ammo back to them and reimburse me for the rest. I chose not to because my issues were only occurring in my Desert Tech barrel, which is a known fast barrel. The other rifles I have all shot the Norma at least 100 fps slower
I'll send them another email today. Maybe 3rd times the charm.

Reactions: canezach
Looks like this stuff is back available, but the price is closer and closer to ELD-M’s.
I still prefer it over the ELDM, but that's mainly because I think the Norma brass is better than Hornady.

Edit: I can buy the 140 ELDM for $23.40 a box and the 143 Norma for $27.95. The brass doesn't make up $4.55 a box difference

This is why SG Ammo is the best. Always free shipping over $200 and they ship fast.
They used to be the best, back when they would sell FGMM for under $20 a box. I do appreciate free shipping, but for a while, they had a hard time getting good ammo in stock

They used to be the best, back when they would sell FGMM for under $20 a box. I do appreciate free shipping, but for a while, they had a hard time getting good ammo in stock
Yeah they definitely struggled with good inventory for a while, but theyve been having good bulk deals recently.
I picked up 500 rounds of m118lr stupid cheap, and you can get it even cheaper now with the winchester rebate