• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Normal barrel wear?

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
I was recently gifted a borescope (I know, one of those things I should never look through). Anyway, stuck it down my R700 with a factory barrel (308 Winchester). Has about 2800 rounds down the tube. You can definitely see some barrel wear. I think everything looks normal though.

To my untrained eye, looks like I've lost some rifling. Is there any way to tell from the pictures how much? WIN_20200727_15_38_47_Pro.jpgWIN_20200727_15_38_36_Pro.jpgWIN_20200727_15_38_33_Pro.jpg

Looks like metal and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and

Oh and and and and and and and and and

I’d call that almost pristine.
That little band of ugly just at the end of the chamber, when that’s what the first foot looks like your barrel is probably dead

It's toast.

Call your local gunsmith and get scheduled for a replacement immediately. I sure hope you didn't go too long before a barrel change or you might have burned up the bolt face and action threads as well. This is why I always recommend that people replace their barrels every 1,000 rounds or 6 months especially on barrel burners like a .308.

That little band of ugly just at the end of the chamber, when that’s what the first foot looks like your barrel is probably dead

Thanks for the helpful info. It shoots fine, was just wondering.

It's toast.

Call your local gunsmith and get scheduled for a replacement immediately. I sure hope you didn't go too long before a barrel change or you might have burned up the bolt face and action threads as well. This is why I always recommend that people replace their barrels every 1,000 rounds or 6 months especially on barrel burners like a .308.

1,000 rounds huh? You give 308 too much credit. I was thinking of replacing every 100 rounds... 🤣🤣🤣

Beautiful for 2800 rnds isn't it? I don't see anything aside from a pampered freebore in the pics. I'm used to burners. My 7mmrm has about a 5" throat on it currently. Still holds a decent group for a $350 rifle.