• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not much said about slings. Preferred sling for heavier bolt gun?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
What's everyone running for their sling on a heavier bolt gun?
Like, a 26+in with 34mm scope. Heavier mountian rifle style.

I use a Armageddon Precision Rifle sling, it’s nice but def not made to haul around a heavy gun for long periods of time. When I hunt it gets annoying after 30 mins of walking if I’m not wearing my thick carhart and I end up carrying it in my hand. I’m looking at picking up a thick pad or a better sling for that purpose. So I’m def looking at the replies here.

I run this - its simple and works. I ran it on my 7mm at the ELR match which weighed around 30lbs, and normally run it on my PRS rifles which are around 25. They have a padded version if you want that as well, but this works just fine for me, and its simple (and has soft webbing).

Reactions: stanley_white
A human to carry your rifle (and ammo, that stuff is heavy) or a sling called the rifle bearer?

I was think about 28. Red head. Freckles.
flannel shirt. Also has cooler with beers.

I meant the Kifaru

I however like yours better!

Reactions: DubfromGA
I meant the Kifaru

I however like yours better!
Good for a 7 lb hunting rifle.

Not for my 18 lb LR rifle.

Well. Gonna use it to tote a 15 lb rifle for a white tail hunt this year.
just will be on the back of my pack vs the belt. Will post up if I remember…

The TAB Biathlon sling is as comfortable as you can get with a 20# rifle in mountains. Carrying anything else at the same time is almost impossible though.

Another vote for TAB Biathlon for carrying heavy weapons for long distances. I also use VCAS padded and Magpul padded because they have the quick adjust feature to snug it up tight.

Warhorse Development started making one recently, he makes good stuff.

if your not going to cuff your arm like camp perry when shooting, leave all the tactical crap at home

there many many hunting slings that are padded, shoulder grip so they dont slip etc

if your not going to need it for snap shots or dangerous game safety strap it on your pack and take it off when you need it

if its needed for quick use or stalking it should be in your hands anyway

Good for a 7 lb hunting rifle.

Not for my 18 lb LR rifle.

Well. Gonna use it to tote a 15 lb rifle for a white tail hunt this year.
just will be on the back of my pack vs the belt. Will post up if I remember…
I had no problem using it with my 17 pound match rifle all year. Beat the hell out of a sling that I’d have to take off as soon as I made it to the next stage.

I also use one hunting occasionally, but havnt had a problem with rifles from 8-17 pounds in it yet

Reactions: powdahound76
I had no problem using it with my 17 pound match rifle all year. Beat the hell out of a sling that I’d have to take off as soon as I made it to the next stage.

I also use one hunting occasionally, but havnt had a problem with rifles from 8-17 pounds in it yet
Honestly tried it once at home and felt wonky on my hip belt.
Could be I probably had something under it or it wasnt adjusted the best.

Im not making snap shots with a heavy rifle and I dont love the gun bearer enough to just carry there vs moving it to the back of my pack.
nice hunting in the west where miles add up. Way better than a sling on the shoulder IMO.

Key here, we are all different. OP prolly needs to try a few.

Reactions: brianf
M1907 or GTFO. I finally took mine off my ARs as I got bipods and matches always made me remove them. Buncha turds.

(Tab gear biatholan but don't tell the other cool kids)

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
How far are you traveling in what terrain?

26inches in any kind of steep or brushy terrain is probably going to need something like rifle bearer, vertical back carry or full-on pack carry. Probably want vertical orientation and those options give it to you.

I have done a decent amount of mountain hunting and spend over 100 days in the field chasing moose, bear, predators and birds. I think I’m using Uncle Mike’s but I’ll check when I get home. It’s the one with neoprene and heavy elastic type material that has some give and allows the gun to seem not as heavy. I like big objectives on my moose guns and use the slings on everything from a 375 H&H to a Fieldcraft. I also use a Kifaru Gun Bearers. It takes a hour or two to get used to it but I really like it. Mystery Ranch has a hands free sling that I would also look into.

Reactions: Twotter
I have a Tab Biathlon sling I tried out for Run n Gun. I didn't love it for that, it is a bit too restrictive, and honestly a bit unneeded for a lightweight AR.

But if I had to carry my 17lb LR rifle a long distance, that would be choice #1. It does a great job of distributing the load, keeps the rifle positioned in a stable secure position, and would be comfortable walking long distances.

I've been using a padded Blue Force Gear Vickers sling but I haven't tried many other options for comparison. I like the looks of the Kifaru Gun Bearer too; this thread reminded me to order one to try it out.

The TAB Biathlon sling is as comfortable as you can get with a 20# rifle in mountains. Carrying anything else at the same time is almost impossible though.
I've never had one but this makes sense.

Can those of you who recommend this sling tell me how you're carrying you're rifle in the biathlon sling with a backpack on at the same time?

I have done a decent amount of mountain hunting and spend over 100 days in the field chasing moose, bear, predators and birds. I think I’m using Uncle Mike’s but I’ll check when I get home. It’s the one with neoprene and heavy elastic type material that has some give and allows the gun to seem not as heavy. I like big objectives on my moose guns and use the slings on everything from a 375 H&H to a Fieldcraft. I also use a Kifaru Gun Bearers. It takes a hour or two to get used to it but I really like it. Mystery Ranch has a hands free sling that I would also look into.
What's it take to have a life like yours? It sounds like you're living the dream.

Reactions: Bakwa
I've never had one but this makes sense.

Can those of you who recommend this sling tell me how you're carrying you're rifle in the biathlon sling with a backpack on at the same time?
Carrying a backpacking backpack, strap the rifle to the backpack and try again tomorrow if you see something.

A day pack can be carried on the belly, just make sure to put the pack on first and then put the biathlon sling on. It’s awkward, and much nicer if you have a minion along.

Reactions: Gil P.
VTAC should fit and work fine with your bolt action rifle. I use that exact sling on my bolt rifle. Took some sections out to make the length appropriate for my use, and I'm using traditional QD swivels.

Short Action Precision sling or uncle Mike’s with rubber shoulder pad that won’t slip

Reactions: D_TROS and Crang
I have a tab prs sling, but the rifle always rides in my kifaru gunbearer!

I have a Butler Creek for my Tikka, which wraps well when I'm doing a standing shot.
I don't often shoulder my rifle, but when I do, the sling is comfortable and doesn't bounce with every step.
Vickers for my Sako and AI.

a 1907 service rifle sling is great for carrying in addition to using for support while in position. The link below is to one of the best versions of this that is made.

I looked at them and they are Butler Creek. This is the best I have found in the stores where I live. I use them on all my bolt and shotguns. The pic shows my heaviest and the two biggest objective guns (50 and 56mm) I carry. I will leave the slings at home when I don’t feel it’s needed and use the Kifaru Gun Bearer.

Attachments

• A3F84336-029C-4ED0-A91D-24D26E73E5CE.jpeg
    A3F84336-029C-4ED0-A91D-24D26E73E5CE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • 62347BD2-C7DD-436D-ADEE-3CF467BAF07A.jpeg
    62347BD2-C7DD-436D-ADEE-3CF467BAF07A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • F38DA784-EB8C-41D4-81D5-17A953B57F11.jpeg
    F38DA784-EB8C-41D4-81D5-17A953B57F11.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I’ve got a Rifles Only sling. But, they are made by Wiebad.
When I received mine, it shipped in a cardboard box that was set on a bench in the entry way.
My dog ate the box and chewed up the sling.
I sent the sling back to Wiebad for repair and they sent me a whole new sling, for free.
They didn’t have to do that, but they did. So my vote definitely goes to Wiebad/Rifles Only.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I don't know why this old thread popped up in the feed today?
With that I guess I'll add someone who I felt takes a great deal of pride in what he offers.
Jacob can make just about anything limited by the imagination.
He is a one man veteran owned show.