• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22/NRLX match gun weight

drglock

Old fat guy
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Morrison,Oklahoma
    Just curious to see what everyone is running as far as total weight of the rifle.

RimX Action
    Green Mountain M24 @ 18”
    Manners T2A
    Gen II Razor 4.5-27
    Area 419 14” Arca rail with lead added
    Atlus PRS
    MPA mount
    Totally weight 17.2 lbs
    9A06C7CB-C4D4-4C18-9132-549AD0235904.jpeg
    F1FF338B-9007-44FF-A233-8C3F21AC1E63.jpeg

14.5, MPA comp, same razor ,Vudoo. Getting ready to build a Rim X on a diet.

Wow! That's alot of weight. I would expect that on a bench rest rifle. Figured guys would keep them a little lighter for positional shooting. Just getting started in PRS style matches myself and still using my CZ 452 American with a 20" sporter weight barrel. My total rig is probably only around 10 lbs with scope, bipod and all. Trying to figure out if I'm serious enough to spend RimX, Vudoo or Deuce money. In a pretty rural area and there aren't a ton of options for matches without some pretty serious driving distances.

Wow! That's alot of weight. I would expect that on a bench rest rifle. Figured guys would keep them a little lighter for positional shooting. Just getting started in PRS style matches myself and still using my CZ 452 American with a 20" sporter weight barrel. My total rig is probably only around 10 lbs with scope, bipod and all. Trying to figure out if I'm serious enough to spend RimX, Vudoo or Deuce money. In a pretty rural area and there aren't a ton of options for matches without some pretty serious driving distances.

Usually only 1 out of 10 stages will be positional, so then you get the benefit of the weight on all the other 9 stages. I'm going to be upping my rifle to around 17lbs and just trying to figure out how to do positional with it at 17.

Reactions: BuckeyeSniper
    My vudoo is close to 19. We shot a 40 round Appleseed qualifier at the start of a rimfire match last weekend. It sucked but I still shot a score that would qualify as a rifleman.

Reactions: BuckeyeSniper
    After playing around with mine some more, I dropped the weight down to 15.5lbs. Need just a tad more weight on the barrel end to make it balance more to my liking.

I just loaded up my rifle some more, it doesn't quite balance yet in front of the magwell, but it's really close. I put on 2 external MDT weights and 2 more internal weights.

I just weighed it and it was only 15 lbs. I guess I was running pretty light at the NRL22 Nationals ~ 13.2lbs.

With the bipod on it'll balance, putting the entire setup at 16.4lbs.

24lbs with the Mpa internal weights and gray ops external weights. Solid as a rock on barricades and imitates my centerfire for training.

Attachments

• E1A77A80-5F12-4E1A-9E67-E149F9CA2A1A.jpeg
      E1A77A80-5F12-4E1A-9E67-E149F9CA2A1A.jpeg
      494.8 KB · Views: 128
    Old thread - Just looking to get into the sport. Kind of disappointed to see that really nobody is in the base class and looking at this thread and what I've seen is the current trend apparently is 22+ lb rifles competing.

Local dealer has a couple 360's with 24" barrels, look like light varmint contour barrels. I know it's all about balance and I'm sure those heavy pigs would be more stable, but kinda seems to defeat the purpose of having different stages and moving around vs a bench rifle.

I'm not a 100% sure I would compete more than a 1/2 dozen times a year and want something more enjoyable to shoot vs just squeezing the trigger.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
    Old thread - Just looking to get into the sport. Kind of disappointed to see that really nobody is in the base class and looking at this thread and what I've seen is the current trend apparently is 22+ lb rifles competing.

Local dealer has a couple 360's with 24" barrels, look like light varmint contour barrels. I know it's all about balance and I'm sure those heavy pigs would be more stable, but kinda seems to defeat the purpose of having different stages and moving around vs a bench rifle.

I'm not a 100% sure I would compete more than a 1/2 dozen times a year and want something more enjoyable to shoot vs just squeezing the trigger.

Thoughts?
    You can go as lite as you want in all respects and be just fine. Your fundamentals & skills will improve with a lite rifle after time to make it more fun. Making Impacts is fun some times lite rifles make that tougher. All your movements and stability issues make it seem twice as hard. That being said we have lots of shooters at our club ( Regulators Rimfire ) that compete with rifles within a few ounces of their hunting rifles. It has made them a better hunter.

I have a club loaner that is sub 10lb and shoots well. it is a Ruger RPR.

I can also make my fat barreled rifle ( Remington 40X ) as lite as 15lb or as heavy as 23lb by only changing stock. I prefer it to be 17-19 lb as it sets well in that weight range. I am also not as muscle fatigued after 12 stages NRL-X Match and a 23 ish lb rifle either. It does get easier with time and practice.

You get out of the sport what you put into it as well. Hope this helps a little.

Thoughts?

It is hard to get a rimfire setup to balance on a bag/obstacle without it being decently heavy. While this will vary a bit depending on your chosen action (R700 - Vudoo, RimX, and B14R are heavier than say a CZ 457), stock/chassis, and scope. I feel like the lightest you can really get an R700 based rimfire rifle while still balancing well is in the 15-16 lb range. With generally shorter barrels and no big muzzle brakes there just isn't a lot of weight out front. The straight contour barrels really help with that, but you still add a good chunk of weight with them. The 1.20-1.25 barrels weigh in at 7-8 lbs already.

So once you add everything up, you're just going to be fairly heavy. 8 lb barrel, 1 lb action, 2 lb scope, 4 lb stock/chassis and you're already at 15 lbs with no rail or other accessories.

I've been aiming to get mine down to 18lbs (from 19lbs) as I'm very happy with the balance but it still feels a tad heavier than I'd like. YMMV as everyone has different preferences. I can't imagine moving around a 22lb rifle in NRL or PRS, but maybe I'm just a wimp lol.

1712774006344.png

It is hard to get a rimfire setup to balance on a bag/obstacle without it being decently heavy. While this will vary a bit depending on your chosen action (R700 - Vudoo, RimX, and B14R are heavier than say a CZ 457), stock/chassis, and scope. I feel like the lightest you can really get an R700 based rimfire rifle while still balancing well is in the 15-16 lb range. With generally shorter barrels and no big muzzle brakes there just isn't a lot of weight out front. The straight contour barrels really help with that, but you still add a good chunk of weight with them. The 1.20-1.25 barrels weigh in at 7-8 lbs already.

So once you add everything up, you're just going to be fairly heavy. 8 lb barrel, 1 lb action, 2 lb scope, 4 lb stock/chassis and you're already at 15 lbs with no rail or other accessories.

I've been aiming to get mine down to 18lbs (from 19lbs) as I'm very happy with the balance but it still feels a tad heavier than I'd like. YMMV as everyone has different preferences. I can't imagine moving around a 22lb rifle in NRL or PRS, but maybe I'm just a wimp lol.

View attachment 8393487
    15lb on the nose as pictured and balanced. 24" 1.15' Mullerworks barrel, Manners LRH, Gen3 Razor, Spur mount, send it level, barricade block & 10 round mag.
    IMG_0870.jpeg

Thanks for the responses -

Mark, really like the look of that rifle with the Manners stock.

I think that anything plus/minus a couple lbs outside of 15 isn't terrible. Was shocked to handle a few that easily weighed mid 20's. Local dealer let me shoot his rifle a few rounds last night and think that it weighed 22lbs.

Everyone needs to like different things, but it would be nice (my opinion) if they had similar classes as NRL hunter.

Also agree and see that point about shooting lighter rifles as ultimately improving one's shooting skills.

I think that anything plus/minus a couple lbs outside of 15 isn't terrible. Was shocked to handle a few that easily weighed mid 20's. Local dealer let me shoot his rifle a few rounds last night and think that it weighed 22lbs.

Everyone needs to like different things, but it would be nice (my opinion) if they had similar classes as NRL hunter.
    Curious why you feel like there should be a weight limit? If some people want to run a heavy or light gun so what? Run the gun that you want to run, be it a factory gun so you can compete in Base, or build it out however you want and shoot Open.

Mine is somewhere between 17-18 lbs with bipod attached. It’s 4 lbs heavier than my NRL Hunter rifle but a couple pounds lighter than my PRS rifle.

RimX in a McMillan M40A1, 15.5lbs balances perfectly
    IMG_1919.jpeg

Anschutz AT-X 20lbs balances right where I want it.
    IMG_2327.jpeg

RimX AT-X 20 lbs balances perfectly.
    IMG_1960.jpeg

Winchester 52C weight 17.5lbs
    IMG_0798.jpeg

I want my NRL22, PRS Rimfire rifles to balance. The heavier rigs sit better on a bag and are relatively easier to break a quality shot. Two somewhat "state of the game" rifles and two that definitely don't fit what's current:)

Last edited: