• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    This dude just interrupted my supper. He was strolling through some calves, and now he's a permanent resident of my spring calving pasture.

Of interesting note. He measured 43" (about 230lbs), and I got a full pass through at about 60 yards with a 64gr .223 Speer Gold Dot. The bullet entered center neck and exited right at the front shoulder. He didn't di anything but drop and run in place for 45 seconds.

So it looks like the pass through Texas heart shot on a 40 lb. Shoat last month wasnt a fluke. I'm starting to have more faith in the .223, but shot placement is still crucial for that cartridge.

This makes #50 on the year.

20200717_193633.jpg

This dude just interrupted my supper. He was strolling through some calves, and now he's a permanent resident of my spring calving pasture.

Of interesting note. He measured 43" (about 230lbs), and I got a full pass through at about 60 yards with a 64gr .223 Speer Gold Dot. The bullet entered center neck and exited right at the front shoulder. He didn't di anything but drop and run in place for 45 seconds.

So it looks like the pass through Texas heart shot on a 40 lb. Shoat last month wasnt a fluke. I'm starting to have more faith in the .223, but shot placement is still crucial for that cartridge.

View attachment 7376959
    Nice!...and I’m going to a 338 Federal in order to get penetration like that consistently.

Reactions: diggler1833
    Nice!...and I’m going to a 338 Federal in order to get penetration like that consistently.

Why not .358 Yeti? :)

J/K. I do know of one guy who uses the .338 Federal on hogs, a d he's yet to complain about terminal performance.

I'll be testing some 165gr .308 loads very soon. Visiting family right now, but just drilled out the gas port on my barrel today.

Why not .358 Yeti? :)

J/K. I do know of one guy who uses the .338 Federal on hogs, a d he's yet to complain about terminal performance.

I'll be testing some 165gr .308 loads very soon. Visiting family right now, but just drilled out the gas port on my barrel today.
    The Yeti would be a fun one, I’m trying to stay away from wildcats for now. I did run a 30 WSSM(basically a 308)in an AR15 for years.
    The 308 has worked very well for me with 168 & 178s, but so far the 338 Fed is penetrating better. I’m really liking that setup for several reasons.
    Hopefully that 308 is up and running soon!

Reactions: deersniper

View attachment 7376959
    Good shooting! Those .223's are killing machines- from vermin to big game! As long as you do your part she'll do hers.

Good shooting! Those .223's are killing machines- from vermin to big game! As long as you do your part she'll do hers.

Shot placement is king, but I've lost more wounded hogs with a 5.56 than the 6.8 I generally use.

Still, the 64gr Gold Dots are pretty impressive so far.

Reactions: STex
    Shot placement is king, but I've lost more wounded hogs with a 5.56 than the 6.8 I generally use.

Still, the 64gr Gold Dots are pretty impressive so far.
    Only shot a few hogs with .223/5.56. All headshots.
    Killed a dump truck load of deer with it both during regular hunting season and by special permit in off season. Most were killed with M193 ball. Last one was a couple weeks ago. Broadside shoulder shot at 275yds from a 16" m4gery carbine. Full pen, exit wound the size of a quarter. It ran bout 65 yrs dead on its feet before piling up. Good blood trail if it would've needing tracking.
    I shot them with 55gr sp rem factory loads, 62gr bvac gold dots, 63gr sierra smp, 68/69gr bthp, 70gr speer, 75gr Hornady bthp, 77gr nosler cc, to name a few just to gauge terminal ballistics.
    M193 ball is a masterful killer.

If you are good enough to hit running hogs in the ear, more power to you.

I am not, and more frequently I run onto multiple hogs instead of a lone boar. The last thing I want to do is be in the middle of a bunch of cutters with a pea shooter...although I'm sure it would make for an entertaining video.

LOL we hunt them with a dog and a rope. And your scared with a gun. Yikes! Just messing with you. the point is the shot placement. You posted a picture of one pig. Then made a statement about another 1 pig. Then made a statement about shot placement being key. If its that important, most people would just get a bigger gun. My point being is with a 17hmr I have seen a lot of pigs killed. But shot placement is key.