• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NVision Nox or Rona Skeet?

Stupid question...which forum? Can't find anything related to the nox devices over there?
I have a thread over on the ar15 forum with a bunch of pics and info. There's a bunch here too but its scattered all over the place.
Can you use that thing as a stand alone helmet mounted device for patrolling? I always hear thermal doesn't really work on it's own. I'd like to get it paired with a WP PVS14 down the road, but don't want the shell out for both of them right off.

Screenshot_20210627-105250_Gallery.jpg
This is from the MH25 during a day with terrible thermal conditions. To date, I haven't seen a better thermal image than what is produced through the MH25 (and I've looked through/owned some great thermals of all flavors). If you're after image quality/weight savings/strictly helmet mounting, the MH25 will beat out the Nox, bare none. If you want long term viability and weapons mounting capability, then go with the Nox.

I would agree that it’s way easier to navigate with a pvs14. The NOX is a very capable device but I had a hard time walking around with it alone unless it’s just flat/easy terrain.

Night vision forum in the Armory forum. I wouldn't recommend it as a primary navigation device. It's great to have as a backup in that roll but a pvs14 it's not. I've used it in that roll a few times and it's doable but I'd already learned to navigate with a 14. If your starting from scratch i would recommend a 14 and a laser as a 1st step.
Mostly trudging through the woods in the dark (pre-dawn). I kind of figured that environment wasn't very conducive to not breaking your neck while using it. I was set on a nice pvs14 (unfilmed/autogate/wp) until I saw the detection benefits of thermal.

I would agree that it’s way easier to navigate with a pvs14. The NOX is a very capable device but I had a hard time walking around with it alone unless it’s just flat/easy terrain.
Sounds like I'm looking at the wrong thing as the first item. Just noticed FOV is another 10 deg less than a pvs14 too

I'm going to pick up a phenom which I think uses the same core as the iray stuff. It'll be interesting to compare the 2.
85° and 45-50%
View attachment 7656342View attachment 7656343
The core in the Nox is better, but that 1280 HD display on the MH25 blows the B&W 640 display on the Nox away, providing a much greater pixel density. Not only that, but I find the MH25 retains more detail in poor conditions compared to both the Halo 25&50LR. If the Nox had a 1280 HD display, it wouldn't even be a competition.

Reactions: mikefraz
The core in the Nox is better, but that 1280 HD display on the MH25 blows the B&W 640 display on the Nox away, providing a much greater pixel density. Not only that, but I find the MH25 retains more detail in poor conditions compared to both the Halo 25&50LR. If the Nox had a 1280 HD display, it wouldn't even be a competition.
I'm hoping someone will do a detailed side by side at some point between the two. I gave the 25 a lot of consideration but by the time you do the eyepiece conversion the price was too close to the nox. I know they're kinda apples and oranges purpose wise but they get compared a lot.
Just trying to get it all figured out. I figure ballistic helmet with thermal might still be ok for what I plan to do with it. Right now i'm walking around with a head lamp with the dogs in the morning. Once I get the pvs, thermal, wilcox g24 mount and helmet, I'm looking at 12kish it seems

I wonder more about the longevity of the MH25 more than anything. From what I've heard, it doesn't sound like it'll last as long. Forget the modifications you'd have to do to get it mounted. Of course, the technology may outpace the durability so you'd likely have to upgrade anyways.

i think i'm still leaning towards ops core helmet, wilcox mount and a nox18. I'll just use a damn streamlight on the rail until I can get a pvs14

I totally dig my Trijicon Skeet IRx. Image quality is fantastic. I bridge it on a KVC to my PVS14. Great hunting setup.

Here's review of Nox-18 from back in Nov 2020

Compared to Skeet and Patrol ... as a spotter and also tested as a TWS (Thermal Weapons Sight.

Reactions: Lowdown3
We're not "horta" ... but here are the SOK reviews ... :)

( and I think we still have 1 on the shelf )

My first thermal was a NOX-18. At the time I wasn't sure what I wanted, dual helment/weapon mounted unit or pure weapon. After getting the 18 and playing with it for about a month in my house and backyard, I realized I wanted more magnification and would rather just have a weapon mounted unit. I sold it and have a NOX-35 inbound right now.

The image quality of the NOX was really good! The only other thermal I've used in the past is the Flir T75 clipon and some stuff from IR Defense before they were absorbed by Trijicon(?). I think it was their Reap-IR units, but it's been a few years. Anyway, the NOX image was badass and the ease of use, "button-ology" was very easy to figure out and use even in the dark. I just wanted more magnification but also wanted to maintain a smaller profile and wasn't ready to upgrade into the Halo-LR realm.

Here are a few screen-grabs of photos I took through my nox-18. The actual image is better, but for some reason this board won't allow me to upload the original images.
car3.JPG

people1.JPG

yard1.JPG

car1.JPG

These images are summer time captures in the the Midwest with high humidity. All were taken just after dark at 1x magnification.

My first thermal was a NOX-18. At the time I wasn't sure what I wanted, dual helment/weapon mounted unit or pure weapon. After getting the 18 and playing with it for about a month in my house and backyard, I realized I wanted more magnification and would rather just have a weapon mounted unit. I sold it and have a NOX-35 inbound right now.

The image quality of the NOX was really good! The only other thermal I've used in the past is the Flir T75 clipon and some stuff from IR Defense before they were absorbed by Trijicon(?). I think it was their Reap-IR units, but it's been a few years. Anyway, the NOX image was badass and the ease of use, "button-ology" was very easy to figure out and use even in the dark. I just wanted more magnification but also wanted to maintain a smaller profile and wasn't ready to upgrade into the Halo-LR realm.

Here are a few screen-grabs of photos I took through my nox-18. The actual image is better, but for some reason this board won't allow me to upload the original images.
View attachment 7666548
View attachment 7666549
View attachment 7666550
View attachment 7666551

These images are summer time captures in the the Midwest with high humidity. All were taken just after dark at 1x magnification.
From my experience, a helmet mounted sees critters coming in. Is it a coyote running in or a large rabbit playing around? Halo lr with its base mag helps identify what it is. Unknown distances play a big part as rabbits are not as big as coyotes, usually, they are a different shape, but inhave been fooled in both directions by jackrabbits.

i can see coyotes at 500-600 yards but normally cannot always pid them without knowing range or seeing them move.

rifle only makes you move around a lot more and spook game more often then you’d think. Maybe you didn’t buy it for hunting, but to me you can’t hunt well without both.

From my experience, a helmet mounted sees critters coming in. Is it a coyote running in or a large rabbit playing around? Halo lr with its base mag helps identify what it is. Unknown distances play a big part as rabbits are not as big as coyotes, usually, they are a different shape, but inhave been fooled in both directions by jackrabbits.

i can see coyotes at 500-600 yards but normally cannot always pid them without knowing range or seeing them move.

rifle only makes you move around a lot more and spook game more often then you’d think. Maybe you didn’t buy it for hunting, but to me you can’t hunt well without both.
I have PVS-14 on my head. Still figuring things out, but wanted in the game. I've kicked tires for so long I need new boots. :)

Very true. Environment and usage plays a MAJOR role. I run a bridged Nox18 and WP 14. Are there times when I'd like a bit more base mag? Yep. They don't outweigh having a small helmet mounted thermal to scan the entire time I'm walking into a set though.