• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Obamas list of 23 Executive Orders

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Is it just me or is this not nearly as bad as we had feared? Obviously the Devil is in the Details, but most of this I actually agree with as far as I understand the intent. I am totally against the recommendations that Obama gave to Congress to try to pass, but with the House I just don't see that happening, thankfully. A few of these memoranums may have potential for abuse, but nothing huge from what I can tell and again, a lot of it RE mental health and NICS checks makes sense to me.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/16/obama-to-announce-gun-control-proposals-shortly/?hpt=hp_c1

Re: Obamas list of 23 Executive Orders

Basically, what the rest of you face is what we New Yorkers have had to deal with all along; while we now have to deal with pointless political bullshit of a new, improved nature.

Greg

You're way late to the party. Head over to the 2nd Amendment area. And it looks like they weren't Executive Orders but just Proposals which is different.

My bad, I just had time to look at the real list today. Will check out the 2nd Amendment one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're way late to the party. Head over to the 2nd Amendment area. And it looks like they weren't Executive Orders but just Proposals which is different. </div></div>

I can tell you that number one means the VA and Social Security will provide "relevant" information to the Federal Background Check system. It means that medical privacy will no longer exist, and is open to interpretation as to what is private or relevant. So does #2, and 16 and 17.
    #3 means pork. Money for access to your information. State level leaders selling out you, for money. Any way I can make that clearer?
    I could go on, but LOOK at these, and read between the lines. Imagine when you read them, if you were a liberal bureaucrat, how would YOU turn these orders to your best advantage.

Obama's #13 EO:
    13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."
    Could be the first time in modern history this was done. I know that less than 10% of felons caught with a firearm are prosecuted (and we wonder why there is so much crime), maybe now Federal prosecutors will start doing their jobs. With 90%+ of felons NOT prosecuted when caught with a firearm [for the firearm] it would be very difficult to argue "they're doing a good job", however; I doubt if we are going to see "#13" actually put into play.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawprint2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obama's #13 EO:
    13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."
    Could be the first time in modern history this was done. I know that less than 10% of felons caught with a firearm are prosecuted (and we wonder why there is so much crime), maybe now Federal prosecutors will start doing their jobs. With 90%+ of felons NOT prosecuted when caught with a firearm [for the firearm] it would be very difficult to argue "they're doing a good job", however; I doubt if we are going to see "#13" actually put into play.</div></div>

Maybe I am jaded, but I think when they talk about gun crime, they are talking about possession and purchasing as opposed to actually curbing violent crime. If they get a magazine ban in play, the time will be spent stepping up enforcement of that federal law.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">14 and 16 are no-go's

CDC - Firearms Related? Really?
    Doctors asking about guns in the home? Screw You, not your business </div></div>

Nothing really new here. They are not prohibited from asking, and you are not required to give them an answer. Our pediatrician asked this years ago as I said "respectfully, that's none of your business".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">14 and 16 are no-go's

CDC - Firearms Related? Really?
    Doctors asking about guns in the home? Screw You, not your business </div></div>

The CDC looking in to the cause of violence is pretty silly. To me it seems like historians might provide a more useful conclusion.

16 is more about protecting other people but won’t really do any good as far as preventing violence.
    For instance, say Jane comes in to the ER acting bat shit crazy, talking about snoopy chasing her and how the injuries she presents with were the result of her attempting to stop the fight between her cat and a monkey (I have actually been told this by a patient). My asking her if she owns a gun couldn’t reasonably result in her losing the right to own a gun because I couldn’t really report that disclosure to any type of authority.
    However, it’s been the case for a while now that a doctor who suspects a person might be a danger to others has the obligation to report it to the authorities, gun or no gun.
    Also, the amount of information an insurance company would have access to is limited and in most cases would not include answers to questions like “do you own a firearm?” so I don’t have a problem with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nothing really new here. They are not prohibited from asking, and you are not required to give them an answer. Our pediatrician asked this years ago as I said "respectfully, that's none of your business". </div></div>
    It seems like we got a notice last year instructing us not to ask about gun ownership. It’s not a question I would typically ask either way though. It was more common in pediatrics and asked just to make sure parents are aware that they should use gun locks if they have guns in their home. It’s the same as asking if your cabinets with chemicals have locks on them or that your unused power outlets are plugged up.

All this mental health stuff is what concerns me. Who will be deciding that you have mental issues. This people will get paid to say that people have mental issues. So suddenly is becomes about money and getting more money. So called experts are now claiming that gun owners and metal health issues go hand in hand. Saying all of us are mental freaks.

Its all BS. We fix our media and video games we fix most of the problem. Throughout history every society that has been taken over and destroyed has turned extremely violent and its media has turned evil.

I am a scout leader and taking 12 and 13 year old kids to scout camp often. It is astounding to me what they talk about, the video games they play and the movies they watch. All they talk about is violence and killing. If that is all a kid knows and he is not taught goods ideals from his parents and neighbors how do you think that kid is going to turn out.

It starts in the home. It always has and it always will. If we as parents would get our own homes in order we could fix a lot of the evil in this world. I guarantee this is all part of the plan of these evil people who want to control the whole world.

I do realize I am speaking to the choir with a lot of you guys. But none the less, it has got to start with us and our kids.

Universal background checks for all gun transactions sounds sensible and innocuous enough, until you realize that the only way it could work is to verify with universal registration. Oops.