• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Obtaining an FFL to sell reloading equipment

Russell3812

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
Working on setting up a website to sell reloading equipment and accessories. After contacting a few manufacturers I've been told I need an FFL to sell their product. The web is full of information about obtaining this license but I'm trying to find someone who has already done this. What is the best way of going about obtaining the license? Is there a different classification for simply selling reloading equipment as opposed to firearms. Any useful input is appreciated, thank you.

Re: Obtaining an FFL to sell reloading equipment

The ATF doesn't require you to have an FFL to sell ammo, reloading supplies are ammo, the do however require one for manufacture of ammo. I realize that it's suppliers wanting you to get an FFL for "dealer" pricing. IMHO you're best bet is to apply for a Ammunution Manufacturer's FFL, it's $30, it can be obtained w/o anything else, I just talked to the ATF about it on the phone last month, because we're wanting to set up a seperate ammo business.

Call the ATF helpline and talk to them, they're very helpful people, and you can request the forns online, fill them out, send them in w/ the fee... ATF has to respond within 60 days for when they receive a "completed" packet.

Hey thank you for the information. The postings online are all trying to sell kits which they say guarantee you getting your license. I couldn't imagine that you have to go through hoops to get permission to sell a loading press. Thanks for saving me $40.

Powder Valley sells most of these components at cost or under my cost(dealer pricing). The firearm industry has a very low margin. Buds guns comes within a couple percent of my dealer price on firearms, and ships them for free! The firearm industry is a waste of time unless your willing to put major capitol down to get the better deals. The better deals are had by buying 100 count of something. For example, magpul ASAP plate is $22 and around $18 after 100 count. That is still $1800 in just ASAP plates!

I wish someone would have told me this before I got my FFL.

The only good thing about having a FFL is being able to ship firearms to your own FFL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Coker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder Valley sells most of these components at cost or under my cost(dealer pricing). The firearm industry has a very low margin. Buds guns comes within a couple percent of my dealer price on firearms, and ships them for free! The firearm industry is a waste of time unless your willing to put major capitol down to get the better deals. The better deals are had by buying 100 count of something. For example, magpul ASAP plate is $22 and around $18 after 100 count. That is still $1800 in just ASAP plates!

The only good thing about having a FFL is being able to ship firearms to your own FFL.

</div></div>

The automotive parts industry is the same way. Far too many dealers are willing to cut their own throats for 50 bucks on a 1000 dollar sale. The money is to be made by volume sales or service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Coker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder Valley sells most of these components at cost or under my cost(dealer pricing). The firearm industry has a very low margin. Buds guns comes within a couple percent of my dealer price on firearms, and ships them for free! The firearm industry is a waste of time unless your willing to put major capitol down to get the better deals. The better deals are had by buying 100 count of something. For example, magpul ASAP plate is $22 and around $18 after 100 count. That is still $1800 in just ASAP plates!

</div></div>

I couldnt agree more. Im not a stocking dealer but I have my FFL's for my custome rifle shop and I deal with several suppliers that I order stuff from customers from. When I need a box of bullets for reloading or a box of factory ammo, I go to our local gunstore and pick them up. By the time I pay shipping it will cost me more than buying them localy.
Like Guy Coker said, the only way to make any money is to drop some BIG money and buy in large quanity.

do yourself a favor and dont get an FFL at all.

What the wholesellers really want is proof that you are in business and a legitimate seller. if you set up a website and have a business lisence and are registered and insured, and can provide proof of same, then most wholesellers will sell you product at dealer cost. All it usually takes is a quick chat with the manager or dealer acco9unts person to get things sorted.

Before I retired, I worked in law enforcement. Most suppliers I dealt with would give me dealer pricing if I sent them a letter on official letterhead - just to open the account, not with each order. Don't know if you could swing something like this. Just trying to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do yourself a favor and dont get an FFL at all.

What the wholesellers really want is proof that you are in business and a legitimate seller. if you set up a website and have a business lisence and are registered and insured, and can provide proof of same, then most wholesellers will sell you product at dealer cost. All it usually takes is a quick chat with the manager or dealer acco9unts person to get things sorted. </div></div>

What he says. I work for a wholesaler and what we're trying to do is weed out the individual who just wants to buy for himself or his buddies. Hurts our good accounts so we try to discourage it. We also make our money when we sell in volume. The small guy who buys $2000 or less a year is costing us money in the amount of time it takes to handle his orders/questions/issues. Just a reality of the industry.

I also agree with what others have said, there are way too many businesses out there willing to cut the bottom line way too much.

Charlie

Alot of wholesalers will take a tax ID number as proof that you are a business and they are free to get.

Im pretty sure that if you get your FFL's to buy ammo and dont sell enough firearms the ATF will not renew them. There is a spot on the renewel application that ask how many you have sold.

thank you everyone for your comments. I appreciate all the advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do yourself a favor and dont get an FFL at all.

What the wholesellers really want is proof that you are in business and a legitimate seller. if you set up a website and have a business lisence and are registered and insured, and can provide proof of same, then most wholesellers will sell you product at dealer cost. All it usually takes is a quick chat with the manager or dealer acco9unts person to get things sorted. </div></div>

What he says. I work for a wholesaler and what we're trying to do is weed out the individual who just wants to buy for himself or his buddies. Hurts our good accounts so we try to discourage it. We also make our money when we sell in volume. The small guy who buys $2000 or less a year is costing us money in the amount of time it takes to handle his orders/questions/issues. Just a reality of the industry.

I also agree with what others have said, there are way too many businesses out there willing to cut the bottom line way too much.

Charlie </div></div>

What wholesaler do you work for? This way I know not to try and deal with you all. I own a very small shop and its attitudes like this that made it very hard for me to get started. Not everyone can start out buying half a million dollars in inventory.

If you're not selling firearms, get a sales tax certificate for your business. You can usually mail, fax, email this for your dealer pricing.

I don't like the places that won't work with small businesses either. Not everbody can be a multi-million dollar corporation, and not everyone wants to be either.