• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Oculus, TBAC Takedown, Mask ???

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Alright, got my trust in order and chose my rifle can and want to order a 22 can same time. Never realized how many options there were for rimfire cans...

I think I have it narrowed down to these three and keep flip flopping on which I want. My guy has all 3 so availability isn't a problem. Any comparisons and test I've seen have mostly been with pistols and 10/22s...was hoping you guys had a little more insight on what the better choice is. This will live 99% of its life on a precision 22lr.

1) accuracy is paramount, also the repeatability after cleaning
    2) suppression...because its a suppressor

I could care less about price and weight, it will be on an mtu contour barrel and I'd rather invest in the "best" than worry about a few bucks.

If anything else is suggested I prefer stainless baffles...just gives me the warm and fuzzies and I don't want to have to worry about AL if I decide to do a DIP.

So...Thoughts?

Don't think you can go wrong with any of those. I have the Mask and really like it, no real FRP and my Summit action 22lr is still a tack driver. I also am looking to pick up the TBAC just haven't yet. Nice article on the 22 cans

They are all very nice cans. TBAC edges out the others in my opinion as far as function, feel and looks go. The recoil web article does a decent job of detailing some differences although the Oculus is not listed. I have found that most people do not use modularity much beyond initial experimenting with a new tool.

Kind of the answers I was expecting. Guess I'll just lay hands on them all and pick on the spot.

I also agree on the Oculus, modularity is cool but I'll probably try it once or twice and keep in one way or the other...likely long.

I bought the Oculus and its at my dealer in tax jail right now. I really like the looks and machining, It is a little hefty for a rimfire can but thats what Rugged is about. If I had to do it again I'd just buy the Mask and call it good..........or get both.......yep both.

yea that's what my guy said about the Rugged. I have an appointment to check out all his toys Thursday so that will be the day. Looking forward to it. Likely my father will pick whichever I don't, will be a nice comparison.

TBAC take down, or specter II, both are really nice then my next would be the innovative arms apex s.

Ended up buying the TBAC. My fathet bought the oculus.

picked up an Omega while i was at it. Guy says hes anticipating 6 month wait

My second 22 can was a spectre 2 I liked it so much that I bought an oculus. Henry's cans are heavy but have great tone and are virtually indestructible. Tbac will be my next .22 can because a guy can't really have too many!

All of those are great, I have a Mask and love it. I have a Gemtech and griffin Armament 22 cans as well, but the TBAC or a Liberty Regulator would be my next choice

The wait is so long, maybe get 2? lol

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose.
    Scott

If your comtemplating purchasing anything other than a TBAC

you need to see a shrink........

I'd just started reading-up on 22RF cans for a Stiller 2500XR repeater trainer I'd built before walking into our local SOT shop. They had a fair selection of 22 cans, including the SWR Spectre II. Stopping in at the shop had been more-or-less a spur of the moment decision, but it just so happened that they were running a special at the time - they paid for the tax stamp on any suppressor purchase. If ever there was an incentive to make a choice on the spot, this was it, and since he had the Spectre II priced competitively, I snapped it up after giving it about 5 seconds of serious thought. I've since put a few thousand rounds through this can, mounted on both the custom Stiller build's Krieger, and a Benchmark 3-groove bbl I later chambered & fitted to a CMP 40X repeater conversion from jelrod. Absolutely no complaints with it - I shoot nothing but match grade std vel ammo through these two custom bbls, so it's as quiet as a churchmouse, as well as very accurate.

But being a TBAC fanboy, last month I finally gave in to temptation & had a shop order a 22 Takedown for use on these precision rifles. Hopefully, the ATF NFA branch has slogged their way through all the pre-41F applications by now, and I can expect a 4-6 month wait. Am really looking forward to cooler weather this fall so I can comfortably compare these two cans - if nothing else, trying to determine if one is any better than the other will give me more motivation to get rifles, cans, & ammo out to head for the range...

I kinda like Liberty for .22 cans, they make fine .22 cans. Their Essence is 3oz., all titanium, takedown; and the Regulator is 4oz. with a steel core and takedown with no tools. The Regulator has little to no FRP and with 1cc water there is NO FRP and the only sound is the action. I had to put the Regulator on my PPK/S because the action was quieter than the 10/22 and it really came down to that.

I have the Pinnacle 2 SS integral barrel also, it has about a 10" baffle stack in it so I'd suspect it to be quieter than the 10/22 w/thread on, but I haven't been able to try it out with this foot surgery crap. That rifle certainly looks the nicest and I know it will suppress well, just how well is the question. The Regulator has hard numbers to beat, hell, the Essence was hard to beat and the Regulator is to the Essence what the Ultra was to the 30CB9 --a quantum leap in performance.