• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dead Air Mask vs TBAC Takedown?

Hi fellas, new to the 22 world and looking to pick up my first can.

Can't decide between these two cans. Based on my research here, they're both very similar. The best price I could find for the Mask is $365 shipped, versus $335 for the Takedown. Are these good prices?

Also considering the Rugged Oculus, but is it even worth shooting in the short configuration on pistols?
You just can’t beat a TBAC

You will be happy with either. I got the DA Mask HD with the titanium body. I am 100% happy with it. Very easy to clean. Impact on accuracy is minimal. On the one rifle I checked this on, the POI did shift down to the left perhaps 1/4” at 100y but was not noticeable at 50y. Note, If I am shooting benchrest, I would take it off since any shift is too much. I cannot hear any measurable 1st rd pop with the mask. It is stunningly quiet with subsonic ammo. Appears to be well made.
Just to add to this discussion, any weight hung on the end of the bbl is going to affect harmonics and accuracy. Possibly make it better but more likely making it worse. While the can did not hurt accuracy as much as I expected, the rifle did shoot a little better without it. This was on a new Two-To-Tango custom. Since I am still adjusting, tweaking and getting used to that rifle, it is hard for me to have a strong opinion. I have at least four more thing to do to get it match ready. Way too hot right now for outdoor work.

Reactions: 338dude
I’m in the same boat not sure which way to go I have a Gen II ULTRA 7 and I love it! So if their Centerfire cans are that good wouldn’t TBAC’S Rimfire be of the same quality?

Actually I have... I don't like the Odessa at all...It looks ugly, and is too skinny to be truly effective, IMO. I don't really care for the Sandman-L. Back in the day it was great, but with all of today's amazing options, it's too long and heavy for what you get. And while we're being honest, I have shot the Wolfman and the Wolverine, and I'm indifferent to those, as well. They suppress, but I wasn't blown away by them. I haven't had the chance to shoot a Primal can yet, so I have no idea if I like it, or not? 🤷🏼
My Wolfman with subs out of my APC9K is the bees knees!

I have both and honestly they're both good cans. If you can find one in stock I think the TBAC is typically a bit cheaper but the Mask has much more availability.

I will say though I Iike the baffle design of the Mask more. The locating feature on the baffles are a more robust in that you don't have to manually align the clips. With the TBAC you still need to do a bit of tweaking of the clips to get them aligned before final assembly.

Reactions: Trent A
I thought I read CLR is bad for SS baffles. I think I will try the rock tumbler with 1/4" media. Or maybe half inch, not sure which is commonly used for this purpose.
I scrub the baffles inside my Dead Air Mask with a Scotch Bright Pad. Takes less than 20 minutes to clean all the carbon off. No need for any solvent thus the pad.

Reactions: Trent A
Reading these responses while waiting for my rimfire can to get out of jail is frustrating. I’m still trying to decide on what my next rimfire cans going to be. But pretty sure it will be either the Mask, TBAC, or KGM. Anyone know which sounds better on a pistol?

Reading these responses while waiting for my rimfire can to get out of jail is frustrating. I’m still trying to decide on what my next rimfire cans going to be. But pretty sure it will be either the Mask, TBAC, or KGM. Anyone know which sounds better on a pistol?
Tried the mask and TBAC on a SW22 and sound wise they were too close for me to call. What I could appreciate was the lighter weight of the TBAC. Made a surprising difference when hung off a pistol barrel

After reading about both I went with the Mask and very happy I did. I have no noticeable impact shift on my Vudoo and very little on my Tikka T1 with the IBI barrel.
I still haven’t shot it on my new TACSOL 22/45 upper.

Attachments

• B767AF7C-28DC-4568-B4D5-21D4C9C0253E.jpeg
    B767AF7C-28DC-4568-B4D5-21D4C9C0253E.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Trent A and FuhQ
I know this isn't a fresh post, but just thought I'd add one detail. I have both and really like them both. Can't tell a difference in function or accuracy. HOWEVER, I bought the Mask first to use with both rifle and pistol, but it turns out that the outer diameter is 1.07, which means that it is slightly larger than a standard 1" barrel. Not a big deal cosmetically, but it makes fitting the barrel into a standard kydex holster nearly impossible. And if you loosen the holster to accommodate the can, the pistol will be loose when fully inserted and will rattle.
The TBAC is exactly 1" which fits just fine in a pistol holster and looks really slick on a bull barreled rifle. Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: Trent A and Beppo
Well I ordered the takedown 22 now the wait begins I’m excited for it my favorite local shop had it in stock so I got it can’t wait to shoot it!

Reactions: FuhQ and 07SGT4623
Also have both TBAC and dead air

This is the TBAC on a Ruger SSH Special

View attachment 8178143
I have both as well, but my TD22 is FDE, so it doesn’t match. But because it’s such a sweet setup, I plan to order a black TD22 as soon as they come back in stock at SS again, just for a permanent residence on the SSH. 👍🏼

Here's a video of me shooting 8" plates at 100 yards with the SSH/TD22 combo...

Well I ordered the takedown 22 now the wait begins I’m excited for it my favorite local shop had it in stock so I got it can’t wait to shoot it!
You'll enjoy it. I'm still waiting on SS to get more black ones in stock. See the video posted above if you want to hear how quiet it is with CCI SV. It's as loud as the cases hitting the carpeted bench, and dinging off of the other scopes. LOL

Reactions: 2c1fr
You'll enjoy it. I'm still waiting on SS to get more black ones in stock. See the video posted above if you want to hear how quiet it is with CCI SV. It's as loud as the cases hitting the carpeted bench, and dinging off of the other scopes. LOL

Awesome like I said I can’t wait to get it!

as far as FRP, even on a pistol, the mask barely has any. and i also have a sparrow, and can tell a big difference on a pistol. if a mask has a noticeable FRP on a rifle running sv or subs, id love to hear it. because even a sparrow doesnt have a pop when you add some barrel length with a .22. maybe the mask has more noticeable pop with the other more powerful supersonic RF calibers, but at that point who cares.

Just incase anyone is wondering and waiting like I had been... The TBAC .22 TD cans in Black and FDE are back in stock at Silencer Shop... I just ordered a black one to live permanently on my Ruger SSH 3" 22/45. The FDE one functioned, fit, and sounded so good on there, that I decided when the black ones became available again, I was going to get one for a permanent pistol host can. I will probably leave the Mask on my 10/22 and my FDE finish TBAC 22 TD will live on my Ranger 22 since it matches.

Reactions: 2c1fr and Beppo
Just incase anyone is wondering and waiting like I had been... The TBAC .22 TD cans in Black and FDE are back in stock at Silencer Shop... I just ordered a black one to live permanently on my Ruger SSH 3" 22/45. The FDE one functioned, fit, and sounded so good on there, that I decided when the black ones became available again, I was going to get one for a permanent pistol host can. I will probably leave the Mask on my 10/22 and my FDE finish TBAC 22 TD will live on my Ranger 22 since it matches.

I got mine in under 6Months and I Love it
it’s so Quiet with the CCI quiet ammo I have pellet guns that are louder!!!!!!