• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Odd problem with the S&B MTC turret - SOS

One-Eyed Jack

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2004
Minden, NV
Another forum member and I have discovered an odd problem with the MTC turrets on our S&B scopes: The "milestone" click occurs exactly 0.1-0.2mr higher than it should. We get a major click occurring at 0.1 or 0.2, 1.1 or 1.2... instead of the cardinal integers 0, 1, 2, 3,... . We can't be the only two with this quirk and are looking for a solution (hint: it has nothing to do with simply loosening the set screws and resetting the turret).

Re: Odd problem with the S&B MTC turret - SOS

Is it possible the numbering is off on the turret, like a bad batch, or did you count it out and it actually thunks at 11 ?

Personally I am not a fan of the MTC, so it doesn't surprise me it's off.

I dislike the fact they changed the direction to match US scopes also but that is me and something else.

I discovered that one scope has its silver triangular pointer painted off to the left slightly, but the MTC turret numbers appears to be centered in the cutout on the body at the milestone click. On the second scope, the pointer is positioned correctly but the numbers (0, 1, 2,...) on the turret dial are not centered in the cutout at the milestone clicks. I'm hoping there is a simple adjustment - if not, the scope has to go back to S&B USA from Australia.

The MTC isn't my fave S&B turret either, but these scopes are on clone M40A3 and A5 rifles, so the turrets were chosen for "realism."

Being off is as real as it gets, record and move on... This is the real answer.

It is still adjusting by 1 mil so really it's just an inconvenience, not really a big deal at all, your dope is still your dope whether 400 yards is 2.2 mils or 2.3 mils it's still the same answer.

On the one scope simply ask for a replacement turret to try and line the numbers up, the other, is it really that big a deal ? You know what it is doing, adjust, drive on. That is what a real sniper would do, putting a rifle back in the system for something so minor would be unheard of, the gun would miss a deployment and .1 isn't missing a man at any practical range or use.

It's why ballistic computers have a place to account for scope errors, welcome to the real world.

I heard from S&B that there was a batch of MTC scopes that were off "one half click". Not sure if this is the case with these, just thought I would pass it on.

Thanks for the PM Paul. I've been told by S&B USA that there have been problems with engraving the MTC dials and some have offsets. S&B are working on an indexing system with the company that does the engraving to eliminate future problems. For those who have MTC turrets that are off a click, the only solution is a part swapout.

For anyone else who has an S&B scope with an offset MTC dial (the dial does not line up correctly with the pointer at the milestone click), please contact Mark Cromwell through the S&B website and send him your name, contact information, model of scope, serial number, and dealer name (if you have it).

S&B are trying to backtrack the batch of misengraved MTC dials, probably to size up the problem, and to produce replacement MTC turrets for the scopes that need them.

Presumably S&B will contact you with information about repairing your scope or simply send you a new turret (S&B haven't made a decision on their course of action yet).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For anyone else who has an S&B scope with an offset MTC dial (the dial does not line up correctly with the pointer at the milestone click), please contact Mark Cromwell through the S&B website and send him your name, contact information, model of scope, serial number, and dealer name (if you have it).

S&B are trying to backtrack the batch of misengraved MTC dials, probably to size up the problem, and to produce replacement MTC turrets for the scopes that need them.

Presumably S&B will contact you with information about repairing your scope or simply send you a new turret (S&B haven't made a decision on their course of action yet). </div></div>

I have the same issue with mine. Not a big problem and I've done with it for years, but if now S&B offers a replacement part, I'll contact S&B as you propose.
Thanks OY! Well done!

PS: Do you have an email address for Mark Cromwell. I can't seem to find his contact info on the S&B website.

S&B is listening to this issue. If you have a mismatched turret let them know and they will help you out.

how old is your scope? can you post a picture of the problem? I want to see if mine does the same thing or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anothervr6kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how old is your scope? can you post a picture of the problem? I want to see if mine does the same thing or not. </div></div>
If you read my description above, it will be obvious. Or you can post a picture of your scope and we can have a look at it. The problem has been around, off and on, for a few years.

I never liked MTC, but there is an easy fix; all that is required is loosening of the two set screws on the turret, lifting the turret a little to disengage MTC, and tightening the set screws. Also adjusting the height of the turret, MTC can be adjusted from heavy to light to off.

Received a new knob today. Didn't get to line it up but at least there is hope that there is a fix. Get it on in the next few days. Hope others get the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Received a new knob today. Didn't get to line it up but at least there is hope that there is a fix. Get it on in the next few days. Hope others get the same. </div></div>

Was this a replacement turret from Mark at S&B USA?

Yes. Hoping it is spot on.

Interesting...I have a 3-12 Gen 2 with a misaligned MTC turret.

I'll post a pic later today to show what mine looks like and I'll get in contact with SB.

Nice to know there's a fix.

I think S&B are busy getting ready for the SHOT show, so we probably won't hear anything for a couple weeks at least.

Hmm...interesting thread about the S&B turrets.

I just got a used 4-16x42 that had a slight alignment problem with the elevation turret. Each 10 clicks (up to the 5 mil mark) would fall just slightly before each full mil mark, so that 11 clicks from mil 4 to mil 5 would line up with the 5 mil mark exactly. Weird thing is that after mil 5, each 10 clicks fall just a little bit further from the full mil mark. It's at S&B USA right now for service, so I'll see how it turns out...

Anybody know anything about "mushiness" in the MTC turrets? The more tactical "clickiness" at each full mil of the elevation turret is a lot less pronounced than that of the windage turret. So much that there's hardly a noticeable difference in feel between the full and .1 mil clicks.

Is this something that can be fixed myself by loosening the two set screws and adjusting the height of the turret (as mentioned by someone a few posts above)? Or will it need to be sent back to S&B for servicing?

Thanks guys.

Ken

My brand new S&B 5-25x with MTC turrets has the elevation dial offset (a problem with the engraving), but the clicks are OKay (but not great). However, the windage turret has very mushy clicks and it's nearly impossible to count 9 distinct clicks between any of the milestones.

I would like to return my scope to S&B USA to have these problems fixed, or the turrets converted to standard double turns if the problems cannot be properly repaired.

Right now my scope is back in its box, waiting for instructions from S&B who are probably busy with the SHOT show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think S&B are busy getting ready for the SHOT show, so we probably won't hear anything for a couple weeks at least. </div></div>
I concur. The person to speak with regarding any service / warranty work is Mark Cromwell, and I'm sure Mark is busy prepping for SHOT.

That sucks to hear about the S & B MTC turret woes. I like the ability to "no look dial" up and down quickly without having to count each click. Each and every click of my standard (non-MTC) turrets is very sharp and positive and feels and sounds the same (a good thing), but without the MTC's heavy detents for reference you have to either look at the turrets or slowly count every click to know how much you've dialed. Thats' a lot of counting and is slow. The upside is I won't have to pay to convert to MTC turrets!

Keith

I received an e-mail from Mark Cromwell today telling me to send my scope back to S&B in New Hampshire. He apologized for the delay, but he's been at SHOT show and then at the SCI meeting in Reno. If you have not heard from him, them send him an e-mail.

Mark will take care of you. He's a good guy.

Has anyone heard from Mark lately about this problem?? I sent my scope to S&B for a fix, but have heard nothing about how long it will take and whether they have parts in stock for the turret swap.

I received an e-mail from S&B this morning saying that my scope is being shipped back to me. Looks like it will be close to 6 weeks from the time I sent it to Mark until the time I get it back. Dunno how well the job came out, should have been simple with the improved turrets.