• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

off topic reloading question (Colt Python)

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
This is kind of a strange reloading question, but I'm thinking about buying a fellow's .357 Colt Python. My Dad's been reloading a lot of .357 lately for some guys, so "we" are building quite the surplus. lol Anyways, I've came across this python for a good price and I am thinking about buying it. I mentioned it to my Dad who had a python in the early seventies and he told me that the Python has real tight tolerances in the cylinder and it might not accept reloads. My Dad reloads all of his stuff with a Lyman TMag. He said he used to use a hand lee loader back then and he couldn't shoot those in his python. I'm thinking that the hand loader was junk and that was his problem. Will I be able to shoot reloads through a Python? Somebody on here has had to have one at one time. thanks

Re: off topic reloading question (Colt Python)

Have had one for 12 years and never put a factory round through it. Don't know
where your dad picked up the idea ( about a tight chamber) but it isn't so.

5000+ handloads through a python from 1990 with nary a hiccup.

I guess pops blew his wad on the Python and had too settle for a Lee Handloader--my guess the problem lay there.

The only "problem" I ever heard of was that their cylinders are appreciably shorter than S&Ws and Rugers et al. In other words, your reloads might be too long.

Colt revolvers do have shorter cylinders than other revolvers. I have experienced that also. So load your reloads according to the reloading manual specs and you should have no problems.

As long as you stay within SAAMI specs on the length of the loaded round, I think you'll be OK. If you do have a problem, call the die maker. They can check several dies and maybe come up with a slightly smaller sizing ring for the die. (Carbide dies have a button or ring of tungsten carbide in the very mouth of the die.) I'm assuming that you use a carbide sizer die. I know Redding will accomodate this type of thing for individual customers. The other die companies may. I'm not sure.

I have several Colt revolvers. They all handle my handloads just fine.

Maybe Dad's Lee Loader was a bit worn...? (There's something about hitting a primed case with a hammer that always made my butt tight every time I did it...)