• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Ordered the bolt knob from 419. I will give a review on it as soon as I get it.

I don't have facebook so I was not able to look at the items.

Reactions: 1badbarrel
I think I've asked this before but don't know if I ever got a response. Is there a reason DT doesn't offer a 18" 6.5 barrel? I'm looking to go Covert now and saw they only had 308 in 18".

What ballistics would I expect between a 6.5 and a 308 in an 18" barrel? Would I be able to get out to 1000y with either in 18"?

I have a 16” 6.5 CM barrel and I’ve shot it to 850 yards during a local PRS match and had no problem at all. I’m not near my data, but I believe I’m seeing 2,580 fps with factory Hornady 140 gr. and it shoot amazingly. It’s probably the most accurate and definitely the most handy barrel I have. As long as you know your dope, it is fine to 1,000 yds.

I think I've asked this before but don't know if I ever got a response. Is there a reason DT doesn't offer a 18" 6.5 barrel? I'm looking to go Covert now and saw they only had 308 in 18".
They do, just announced it at SHOT Show in January.

What ballistics would I expect between a 6.5 and a 308 in an 18" barrel? Would I be able to get out to 1000y with either in 18"?
18” creed would be great. My son’s 260 is only a 16” and it will do 1k fine

There is a nice article about 16" creedmoor . Still has enough to get out to 1000 easy . Buy a covert and get a custom barrel done simple

Sericus can you get me a phone number or email address for the guy who has the bolt knobs. I don't have facebook

Sericus can you get me a phone number or email address for the guy who has the bolt knobs. I don't have facebook

They're going for $25 with free shipping of course.

He can do PayPal @ [email protected]

Hope the email helps. I've gotten two from him already. Super fast shipping and a great price. Close to the size of the factory knob, if not shorter.

Im thinking a getting another barrel for prs style matches. I have a 308 now and was wondering what you guys might recommend for caliber? I was thinking something in the 6.5 varieties but am open to any suggestions. I’ll be reloading for it so odd calibers are ok too.

Im thinking a getting another barrel for prs style matches. I have a 308 now and was wondering what you guys might recommend for caliber? I was thinking something in the 6.5 varieties but am open to any suggestions. I’ll be reloading for it so odd calibers are ok too.
6.5 SAUM

I put a half inch YHM riser on mine, it handles a big old PVS 30 and helps it over my supressor. I also put. 5 inch riser in back as well which shortens my eye relief when using my thermal.

The Yankee hill machine risers is the only riser I would use, others were too flimsy

What Ring Height are you running with you YHM pic riser/extender?

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-...el-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/

I was surprised at how little velocity is lost for 6.5CM at 18"

Anybody have any feedback on a carbon fiber barrel from SPR ? I'm seriously considering socking away some money for a future barrel .
I've had mine (26" 6.5 CM) for 9 months now and 850ish rounds. I don't have my data book nearby to confirm round count.

Load development was a little difficult just because no 3 round group was over .5 MOA.

There was no vertical stringing or loss of accuracy when I did a 20 round string in 90 seconds, and then continued to fire at a sustained rate (3-5 rounds per minute). You'll pick up mirage quite a bit faster than a steel barrel, however, it cools down much faster than steel.

I am going to buy a normal 6.5 barrel, and dedicate the Proof for hunting only. It's too expensive to use for competitive or target shooting.

Weight savings is substantial for an equal profiled barrel, but compared to a standard DT barrel I think the only weight savings is about 6-7 oz.

How come that over the creed more or a 6.5x47?

Velocity is by far superior and you can push heavies a lot more. Especially over the 6.5x47 Lapua. I'm getting 3310 using 130's VLDs out of a 24" barrel. 140's I'm getting 3180

Not that the 6.5 SAUM is a heavy recoiler but recoil management is the name of the game in PRS, thus why many went to 6mm’s over 6.5 and now you’re seeing the little 6s like Dasher and BR and variants really taking off.

Additionally SAUM means less rounds in the mag and a modified mag.

Keep it simple and go standard bolt face for PRS.

Velocity is by far superior and you can push heavies a lot more. Especially over the 6.5x47 Lapua. I'm getting 3310 using 130's VLDs out of a 24" barrel. 140's I'm getting 3180

Dang! that is fast! my range for PRS has a 3000 FPS limit. I wouldn't even be able to use that cartridge to it potential.

My 300 Norma is alive! Loaded 5 rounds with 225 ELD-M's and H1000 this morning. Two shots to zero and then this :

View attachment 6911135

Not to shabby for zero load development and only 5 rounds down it . This thing is going to be super easy to tune. Velocities were 2965 and an ES of 6 . I drank the Norma koolaid and man it tastes good so far .
You gonna love the norma! Got one in my dta and it's my favorite round!

grip 3.JPG

Just finished installing 3 of the Talon grips is Desert Sand rubberized on my FDE SRS'S and they fit like a glove and what a difference they make! Kudos to Talon! They also match the color perfectly.

Have any pictures Still haven’t heard from the guy making the bolt knobs. Guess he doesn’t make them any more.

Just finished installing 3 of the Talon grips is Desert Sand rubberized on my FDE SRS'S and they fit like a glove and what a difference they make! Kudos to Talon! They also match the color perfectly.

Very nice!

How do they attach? Are they slip on or glued on?

The grips are like a 3M adhesive. Wipe surface with alcohol and then apply. Can be easily removed. Not supposed to be reusable but they can be.

Thanks guys , all good. I was out shooting all day yesterday and I like the grip. It feels good. I think there might be two different materials but could be wrong. Ones the rubberized one like I got and another maybe like skateboard grip tape . My skins were bolted together with the talon grip applied already when they shipped back to me , so I took a exacto knife and cut it down the middle so I could split the skins apart to install back on the chassis. It worked fine. I like the grip. Something different. I was thinking about getting the grip stippled but didn’t. Talon grip can be removed, stippling is final.

Reactions: sixstrings101
Another shout-out to SAC on their 223 conversion.

I shot a 600 yard F-Class shoot yesterday using my SRS with a SAC 223 conversion and won the F T/R class by a two point margin. This is the second F-Class shoot I have run this rig in and won them both against some pretty good shooters, almost all of which were shooting 308. Another testament to the versatility of the DT platform and the awesome performance of SAC's conversion kits.

Not sure if they are still doing them but I bought bolt knobs from Phoenix Custom Rifles a few years ago. They are very nice, I have one for each of the three bolts, they did grooves (1-3 per bolt) to make bolt identification easy.

Recently joined new-ish member here.

I have been catching up on this thread about Desert Tech rifles, especially Covert. So far I have read maybe 100 of the 190+ total pages.
It seems that more than 1 out of 2 here reloads their ammo for Desert Tech.

My question is, are there 6.5CM or 338 Lapua factory loads that are known to work particularly well in 17-18" barrels offered by Desert Tech or one of the aftermarket barrel suppliers? I assume such short barrels (for the caliber) would benefit from faster burn rate powder.

Is it possible to shoot Covert in 6.5 or 338 at its full capability without investing in reloading skills and equipment?

Vipunen

There are plenty of decent load offering for both calibers. Seems like the short barrel 6.5 creeds are becoming popular and are proven shooters. The number of reputable smiths making custom barrels for these is on the rise also.

Reactions: waveslayer