• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Recently joined new-ish member here.

I have been catching up on this thread about Desert Tech rifles, especially Covert. So far I have read maybe 100 of the 190+ total pages.
It seems that more than 1 out of 2 here reloads their ammo for Desert Tech.

My question is, are there 6.5CM or 338 Lapua factory loads that are known to work particularly well in 17-18" barrels offered by Desert Tech or one of the aftermarket barrel suppliers? I assume such short barrels (for the caliber) would benefit from faster burn rate powder.

Is it possible to shoot Covert in 6.5 or 338 at its full capability without investing in reloading skills and equipment?

Vipunen

I would say that copper creek ammo may be a good option to get something tailored for what you are wanting to do if you dont reload.

IMG_4487.JPG

Early in the year I picked up a used 375cheytac barrel , and bolt . Just got my dt hti chassis last week. Still need magazine , bipod , scope and mount ect, but ill get there. Been buying a part here and a part there .

Reactions: Snipe260
Not sure if they are still doing them but I bought bolt knobs from Phoenix Custom Rifles a few years ago. They are very nice, I have one for each of the three bolts, they did grooves (1-3 per bolt) to make bolt identification easy.

I bought from them too, got a 3 grooved bolt. Very good quality. Was a bit larger and longer than the stock knob, so I settled on the ones from the Facebook group page.

Been shooting a friends HTI in 375 and its a hoot. He's got some good loads worked up for the 350gr Sierras and the Cutting Edge tipped 350s. I built a couple suppressors for him and another friend and they work very well too. If the rifles weren't so much money I'd love to have one though the 50 cal set up wouldn't be needed. Didn't like that one at all. . . at least not with the stock brake. With the suppressor on the rifle shooting the 375 off the bench is about like shooting my 338 Lapua SRS. It has a lot more poop though. Punching through 3/4" thick mild steel plate at 100yds like butter.

Frank

Reactions: 1badbarrel
Early in the year I picked up a used 375cheytac barrel , and bolt . Just got my dt hti chassis last week. Still need magazine , bipod , scope and mount ect, but ill get there. Been buying a part here and a part there .

Why not use the same scope on your SRS? I use two scopes for about 9 different guns, honestly it's no big deal. Keep a torque wrench and keep all your zeros written down. I have done this for years.

Now with the $3,000 savings I will take a 10% commission, lol. Buy some ammo or reloading supplies

Reactions: 1badbarrel
Why not use the same scope on your SRS? I use two scopes for about 9 different guns, honestly it's no big deal. Keep a torque wrench and keep all your zeros written down. I have done this for years.

Now with the $3,000 savings I will take a 10% commission, lol. Buy some ammo or reloading supplies

Thanks for the advice waveslayer. A friend just loaned me a bobro scope mount. I think I’ll put the tt525 in it and use with the srs and hti. I use the dt scope mount and like it but the other mount is a qd, so might be easier. I might have to hold onto the 10% commission lol, dt wants $10 a rd for the cheytac and I’ve been looking into a set of dies and they are Spendy. I knew getting into the bigger calibers it would not be cheap. When I can I’d like to get a custom 50bmg barrel spun up. Heavy , longer barrel , with probably ar50 brake. Well now I need to get back to work on my new reloading room , I out grew my other a year ago , lol.

8F0980D4-1DB6-43CD-906D-533D8ECA67DD.jpeg
Been shooting a friends HTI in 375 and its a hoot. He's got some good loads worked up for the 350gr Sierras and the Cutting Edge tipped 350s. I built a couple suppressors for him and another friend and they work very well too. If the rifles weren't so much money I'd love to have one though the 50 cal set up wouldn't be needed. Didn't like that one at all. . . at least not with the stock brake. With the suppressor on the rifle shooting the 375 off the bench is about like shooting my 338 Lapua SRS. It has a lot more poop though. Punching through 3/4" thick mild steel plate at 100yds like butter.

Frank

I would love to be able to afford the HTI as well. At least your lucky enough to have a friend with one.
I tested out some 5/8” thick 304 stainless yesterday at 150yards with the 338LM and 6.5CM. Amazing how the 338 made the steel look like Swiss cheese.
2FABD0CD-4CA0-49C8-B9F8-9CB143036698.jpeg
2FABD0CD-4CA0-49C8-B9F8-9CB143036698.jpeg
064B60A5-23AE-46B2-9E7D-75D64E461666.jpeg

That Stainless looks a little ventilated. I love my 338LM too....It vaporizes gallon jugs of water pretty well too....out to 600 yds at least. We were always too lazy to carry them out further.

Those of us who tend to be left handed either learned early on to use the other hand or we quit shooting. So for my part there is no wrong side for the bolt. Love them all. Even learned how to use backward scissors those right handers seem to like. Those poor right handed guys are stuck with only one side.....

Frank

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Is the firing pin in the ".308" bolt considered to be a small firing pin? Getting ready to order brass and didn't know if I should order small rifle primer brass or not.

Is the firing pin in the ".308" bolt considered to be a small firing pin? Getting ready to order brass and didn't know if I should order small rifle primer brass or not.

I shoot the 6.5 Creed Lapua brass with small primer exclusively out of my SRS. No issues.

How much more accuracy do you gain in the SRS with the small primers

Hello all - Looking at getting a torque wrench setup for a srs covert. Are most using the fix it sticks kit And if so any promo code for the setup from DT? Thanks

Hello all - Looking at getting a torque wrench setup for a srs covert. Are most using the fix it sticks kit And if so any promo code for the setup from DT? Thanks

I use the one from their website. I've never seen a coupon for it. The kit comes with an 80lb adaptor even though the manual says to use a 70lb. Members here mentioned to me that dta has standardized the 80lb so you'll be fine with that.

anhnguyen - Thanks for the response. I see they have a promo code at checkout so thought I would see if there was one to use. Have a good one.

Reactions: anhnguyen
I have a SRS in .308 what is going to be the best reloading dies that everyone is using? I know this is not the reloader section but it is for the DTA. So don’t get mad and scream at me. Thanks

I have a SRS in .308 what is going to be the best reloading dies that everyone is using? I know this is not the reloader section but it is for the DTA. So don’t get mad and scream at me. Thanks

I have Forster benchrest and Redding full length bushing dies. I honestly think Forster dies are hard to beat for the money but I do prefer the micrometer seating die.

I have using Redding sizers and Fosters seater die combo for three different calibers now and have been very happy.

Currently using the Forster Ultra seating die with micrometer and Redding Fls for my 308 .

Will upgrade my Redding 308 dies to Type S for fls

Reactions: cro789
Hi - I purchased a proof barrel for my Desert Tech SRS rifle and I cannot use the locking bolt as it appears that you need a shoulder on the barrel to use it? Is this normal and OK to use the rifle without the locking bolt and just the barrel screws to hold the barrel in place?
Thanks

Hi - I purchased a proof barrel for my Desert Tech SRS rifle and I cannot use the locking bolt as it appears that you need a shoulder on the barrel to use it? Is this normal and OK to use the rifle without the locking bolt and just the barrel screws to hold the barrel in place?
Thanks
Did you get the barrel extension?

Thanks

The SAC 223 barrels come that way as well and it isn't a problem. Seat the barrel all the way in, close the bolt and make sure it engages normally, then tighten the four fasteners as usual.

Reactions: Jeffd
The SAC 223 barrels come that way as well and it isn't a problem. Seat the barrel all the way in, close the bolt and make sure it engages normally, then tighten the four fasteners as usual.
Thanks!

Thanks
Haven’t used that locking mechanism in I don’t know how long. Some of my barrels have the option and some don’t. It’s an added safety feature but as long as you are closing the bolt before torquing you will be fine. Closing the bolt also helps to ensure consistent fitment.

Reactions: Jeffd
Greetings, gents! The last time I bought a barrel, I went through @fireguyty (Ty, I'm tagging you so you can reply), but as I understand it, Ty is no longer making barrels, so who are you fine folks going through? I gotta admit, I liked being able to buy a quality barrel, with the extension, threaded, and cerakoted for what he charged. Plus, if you already had an extension, it cost even less

Greetings, gents! The last time I bought a barrel, I went through @fireguyty (Ty, I'm tagging you so you can reply), but as I understand it, Ty is no longer making barrels, so who are you fine folks going through? I gotta admit, I liked being able to buy a quality barrel, with the extension, threaded, and cerakoted for what he charged. Plus, if you already had an extension, it cost even less

I have bought all my barrels from Eric at ES Tactical https://www.es-tactical.com/shop/Desert-Tech/ES-Tactical-SRS-Barrels--Conversion-Kits.htm and have been very happy with the service and quality. Price is also awesome and accuracy is off the charts.
177B7E8F-209E-40CD-AEA2-EA0299DCB27E.jpeg
13D261F5-40FE-4AD5-89E8-EC7C644358B5.jpeg
B20105B0-1BFA-4C73-90B6-82FC6F379C92.jpeg

Reactions: canezach
I've had and have barrels from TS Customs and SAC , all three are true 1 hole shooters . I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, although my next one will be a SPR carbon fiber barrel simply because they're the only C.F. game in town that I'm aware of.

Reactions: canezach and Jeffd
Thanks, guys! @Juggerxxx do you happen to know whose barrels ES is using?
I know Eric uses a good amount of Proof barrels but he is always testing different manufactures to find the best accuracy. That is the other great thing about Eric, I believe you can ask him to get just about any brand of barrel you want. I just saw a post on Facebook from a guy that posted great accuracy and speed from a Lilja 338LM barrel that ES Tactical spun up for him.

I’m surprised I haven’t gotten any shit from the powder charges and speeds for the bottom target. That is a 6.5CM OCW test on the 147gr ELD bullet and Reloader 26.

Last edited:
Reactions: canezach
sadly you missed their sale.. I think they had certain barrels on for $100 off. Over now...

I remember back a few pages where someone was looking for this guy that is selling bolt knobs. Just saw this on the desert tech Facebook page.

Attachments

• 05B338D5-A5D6-406A-BBBD-C2C5AB4C9AC7.png
    05B338D5-A5D6-406A-BBBD-C2C5AB4C9AC7.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
ES is doing barrel for me now. In 308 with a left hand twist.